Name This Person

T&C

I'll give the answer because I don't want to logjam a thread... I won't be at a computer for a day... but at first glance he reminded me of Van Morrison. After I post the answer next up:

Pictured here (on drums) is Claude Russell Bridges better known as Leon Russell. Leon Russell needs no introduction, having written songs like Delta Lady, A Song for You and This Masquerade or having played on recordings with Bob Dylan, Frank Sinatra, Ike & Tina Turner and The Rolling Stones, to name a few. Leon's 60 year career playing rock, pop, country, gospel, rhythm and blues, to name a few as well as being a member of Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen and his performance at The Concert for Bangladesh make him a solid figure in contemporary music.
Leon Russell began playing nightclubs in Tulsa, Oklahoma at the age of 14. The name Leon came from a fake I.D. he used to to play in bars while underage. By the late 50's Russell moved to L.A. and became a first call studio musician playing on recordings for Phil Spector as well as Jan and Dean, Doris Day, Ray Charles, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, The Ventures and many, many more.
By the 70's Leon Russell became a solo artist still making time to record with Dave Mason, Badfinger, Joe Cocker and many others. It was on Russell's label Shelter Records that his solo albums gave him three gold albums and many Grammy nominations. For decades Leon recorded and performed live.
In 2010 Leon recorded the album The Union with Elton John who had at one time had been Leon's opening act. Elton John has said that Leon Russell was his "biggest influence as a piano player, a singer and songwriter." There is no doubt Leon Russell was an inspiration and influence to many. In 2011 he was inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Game and the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
While recovering form heart surgery Leon Russel died in his sleep on November 13, 2016.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, T&C said:

I'll give the answer because I don't want to logjam a thread... I won't be at a computer for a day... but at first glance he reminded me of Van Morrison. After I post the answer next up:

Pictured here (on drums) is Claude Russell Bridges better known as Leon Russell. Leon Russell needs no introduction, having written songs like Delta Lady, A Song for You and This Masquerade or having played on recordings with Bob Dylan, Frank Sinatra, Ike & Tina Turner and The Rolling Stones, to name a few. Leon's 60 year career playing rock, pop, country, gospel, rhythm and blues, to name a few as well as being a member of Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen and his performance at The Concert for Bangladesh make him a solid figure in contemporary music.
Leon Russell began playing nightclubs in Tulsa, Oklahoma at the age of 14. The name Leon came from a fake I.D. he used to to play in bars while underage. By the late 50's Russell moved to L.A. and became a first call studio musician playing on recordings for Phil Spector as well as Jan and Dean, Doris Day, Ray Charles, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, The Ventures and many, many more.
By the 70's Leon Russell became a solo artist still making time to record with Dave Mason, Badfinger, Joe Cocker and many others. It was on Russell's label Shelter Records that his solo albums gave him three gold albums and many Grammy nominations. For decades Leon recorded and performed live.
In 2010 Leon recorded the album The Union with Elton John who had at one time had been Leon's opening act. Elton John has said that Leon Russell was his "biggest influence as a piano player, a singer and songwriter." There is no doubt Leon Russell was an inspiration and influence to many. In 2011 he was inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Game and the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
While recovering form heart surgery Leon Russel died in his sleep on November 13, 2016.

Got that, everyone?  He needs no introduction.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 8

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.