Sign in to follow this  
Virgil

Bored - Offseason Speculation

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So if you sign Phillips and Liuget  you'd have 5 tackles on the roster, can't see that happening.  Oliver will be the starter, can't see paying big $$ for a backup so may be that Liuget  is the more economical option particularly since Phillips is having a pretty strong year and be able to get big money.  Admittedly the Bills do like rotating players, but still only keeping four.  To me the only way it would make sense to sign both would be sign Liuget on a real cheap contract that you can easily trade or cut at the end of pre-season just in case another DT is injured.

I think I'd try to sign either Lawson or keep Murphy, don't want to try and find two new DE for next season.  Personally I'd use their #1 round pick on DE, sign a mid range FA and then also have either Lawson or Murphy

I'll be surprised if they re-sign Spain as I think they'd prefer drafting a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd round for that position.

Not sure if I really want to see them sign a FA #1 WR, maybe would rather see them sign a guy like Parker, Anderson, or Cobb. Would also use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a WR,  maybe a guy who is expected to become real good, but might take a year or two to get there.  Un the mean time having one of them, plus Brown and Beasley as your starters would be pretty good and likely be a cheaper option.

My draft picks would be

1st DE/OLB

2nd and 3rd  Guard and WR in whatever order

My top FA signings would be strong #2 type WR, OLB/DE, mid tier OT, kicker, big strong RB.  With the exception of the OLB/DE others more strong, but not top salary players.

PS  Thought I heard here Von Miller was also a FA after this year??

I think Von has a voidable final year.  

I’m curious why you don’t think we have room for all those DT’s when they are currently on the roster.  I guess Harrison Phillips returning creates an odd man out?

It all depends on if they think Shaq can keep it going as to whether I’d want them to re-sign him.  I’m personally not sold and think he takes too many plays off.  Murphy just isn’t worth it.  I’d rather draft and sign one.  

I see plenty of speculation about AJ Green. I’m not really interested 

I want Roby Anderson. 26 years old. 
I know the draft is deep at WR but give me Anderson Beasley and Brown. That’s a really good wr core. 

I’ll spend my draft on the defensive line and corner. 

I’d also like to have Drake from Arizona to pair with Singletary. 

Resign our ERFA as well as Spain. Let Phillips and Lawson see what the get in the market and if it’s reasonable match. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I think Von has a voidable final year.  

I’m curious why you don’t think we have room for all those DT’s when they are currently on the roster.  I guess Harrison Phillips returning creates an odd man out?

It all depends on if they think Shaq can keep it going as to whether I’d want them to re-sign him.  I’m personally not sold and think he takes too many plays off.  Murphy just isn’t worth it.  I’d rather draft and sign one.  

Exactly, then we'd have five on the active roster.  Can't see that happening.  Based on what I've read here, believe it's too much dead money to cut Star this off-season, need to keep him at least one more season.

Agree, Shaq does worry me a bit too in having a great year in a contract year.

If they cut Murphy I just worry about bringing in two new DE in the same season though we did bring in 4 new O-lineman and that worked OK.  Reading your list of FA, not many DE on there.

On Miller, voidable by him or the team?

Please sign Derrick Henry.

A punishing back like him in the winter would make this team an absolute nightmare to face.

Henry and Motor would be an awesome, AWESOME backfield.

He could help wear out the defense so Josh doesnt have to when he scrambles.

The only other FA I want is another kicker (is there anybody out there?) linebacker or DE. A big LB that hits hard.

Draft? Just keep drafting lineman on both sides. Get mean *****.

coleman and liuget would be vet minimum or very close to that deals so money saved right there.  Id cut ties with trent murphy and give his cap hit to shaq basically.  keeping that o-line together would be smart I said at the time I wish they had signed spain to a longer term deal at a cheap rate.  Either way lots of money to keep our guys together and add thru the draft and get some solid guys in free agency

23 hours ago, Virgil said:

It was 100% the right call at the time.  

Part of me wants to re-sign him less now on the chance that he chooses when to show up 

Shaq was trending up last season and he's carried that into this season.  He's always played hard in games.  His first couple years were about his work habits off the field.  He seems to have turned that around starting last off season.

10 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Shaq was trending up last season and he's carried that into this season.  He's always played hard in games.  His first couple years were about his work habits off the field.  He seems to have turned that around starting last off season.

He overall reminds me of Marcellus Wiley.  Just enough sacks in bursts to have good final stats, but not a game in and game out influencer.  Gets paid and just kind of exists 

Robie Anderson and Devate Parker are both very interesting FA WR. They both have size and Speed to be #1 Type players, and will probably not cost a ton. They are both 26 years old. Hell sign them Both. A WR core of Beasly, Brown, Anderson, Parker, and Makenzie next year sounds deadly to me. And would cost less then sighing just Copper. 

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Please sign Derrick Henry.

A punishing back like him in the winter would make this team an absolute nightmare to face.

Henry and Motor would be an awesome, AWESOME backfield.

He could help wear out the defense so Josh doesnt have to when he scrambles.

The only other FA I want is another kicker (is there anybody out there?) linebacker or DE. A big LB that hits hard.

Draft? Just keep drafting lineman on both sides. Get mean *****.

If the Titans let him go it's because he'll want a massive contract.  I'd rather spend the money keeping this defense intact, adding a pass rusher, and maybe another offensive weapon for Allen.  Finding a bruising RB in the draft to supplement Singletary makes more sense to me.

7 minutes ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Robie Anderson and Devate Parker are both very interesting FA WR. They both have size and Speed to be #1 Type players, and will probably not cost a ton. They are both 26 years old. Hell sign them Both. A WR core of Beasly, Brown, Anderson, Parker, and Makenzie next year sounds deadly to me. And would cost less then sighing just Copper. 

Anderson is interesting to me.  He’s had crap QB’s, but definitely has upside, size, and speed.  

He’s not going to get top 10 money, not even close.  I could see him in the 10-12 mil range. 

On 11/30/2019 at 9:17 PM, machine gun kelly said:

Thanks for the info, but I’m going to watch the SF/Ravens game to see how they match up and take a close look at the Ravens.  You know the team will be reviewing this game a good portion of the week.

What part of "Feel free to play along or dismiss and move on. " don't you understand?!?!

4 minutes ago, Dopey said:

What part of "Feel free to play along or dismiss and move on. " don't you understand?!?!

Some just can’t help themselves.  They are typically the same that know current events by reading the headlines, not the body 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd love us to go after Shaq Thompson, I think he's terribly miscast in that weird multiple front Carolina has been using. He'd make our trio Milano, Edmunds, and Thompson. He excels in coverage and hes been solid for Carolina otherwise. Knows the system plus we'd have the funds to get him out of Carolina

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Monty98 said:

I'd love us to go after Shaq Thompson, I think he's terribly miscast in that weird multiple front Carolina has been using. He'd make our trio Milano, Edmunds, and Thompson. He excels in coverage and hes been solid for Carolina otherwise. Knows the system plus we'd have the funds to get him out of Carolina

It would make too much sense.  Knows Beane and McD, fits a big need, young and talented.  

• Like (+1) 1

Great job, Virgil.

My only request is that the Pegulas extend both Beane and McDermott...and as much of the coaching staff and front officer as possible.  We are going to lose a couple from the coaching staff and the front office I predict...but I have confidence we have a deep bench in both areas. 

Edited by JoeF
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

He overall reminds me of Marcellus Wiley.  Just enough sacks in bursts to have good final stats, but not a game in and game out influencer.  Gets paid and just kind of exists 

Those types of players at any position are players who, in general, wind up being Hall-of-Famers or Wall-of-Famers.  Shaq is a good contributor to have on the team if the money is commensurate with that type of status.  I think it's possible they keep him.  He can take Murphy's money.

Edited by purple haze

26 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Great job, Virgil.

My only request is that the Pegulas extend both Beane and McDermott...and as much of the coaching staff and front officer as possible.  We are going to lose a couple from the coaching staff and the front office I predict...but I have confidence we have a deep bench in both areas. 

If I'm Beane and McD, I don't want to extend until after next year and drive my price up.  You have to bet on yourself.  They are each on 5 year deals.  If this season goes like we think, they have another solid offseason and growth while the Pats are on decline, they could be getting millions more a year

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If I'm Beane and McD, I don't want to extend until after next year and drive my price up.  You have to bet on yourself.  They are each on 5 year deals.  If this season goes like we think, they have another solid offseason and growth while the Pats are on decline, they could be getting millions more a year

There's no cap to deal with here...I am confident the Pegulas will not quiver over this and make them among the highest paid in their roles in the league with some head room to grow the numbers during the term of the deals. 

Terry built his oil organization by retaining and empowering great talent.  He will likely do the same here.  We are talking about an asset that is now worth over $2 Billion and the two people who are in charge of that asset.  He won't skimp.

12 minutes ago, JoeF said:

There's no cap to deal with here...I am confident the Pegulas will not quiver over this and make them among the highest paid in their roles in the league with some head room to grow the numbers during the term of the deals. 

Terry built his oil organization by retaining and empowering great talent.  He will likely do the same here.  We are talking about an asset that is now worth over $2 Billion and the two people who are in charge of that asset.  He won't skimp.

You're misunderstanding me.  It's McD and Beane who probably won't want to extend early.  They want as much of Terry's money as they can get.  If they bet on themselves and do good things next year too, they'll get more of it.

Sign in to follow this