Josh Allen named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

Absolutely agree that "ups and downs" are in fact part of the development of any person, let alone an NFL QB. And I'm not saying that a "bad game" against the Broncos indicate "he is a bust". What I AM saying, is that against better Defenses he's struggled consistently over the course of the last 1+ seasons and that in order to demonstrate true NFL QB permanency, he needs to be better against those Defenses and the Broncos game is a start (but also not a 'finish' if he doesn't do well). Essentially, let's celebrate the great week and the fact he's grown over this season and remarkably so since the *Pats game. But, let's keep in mind that his upward trend toward a good to great NFL QB will still take multiple games against good Defenses and continuous development before we can all feel rest assured he is in fact, the QB the Bills have been searching for since Kelly retired. 

I mean, I agree, I want him to do well against a good defense. Here is the thing, good defenses make QBs play bad. That is why they are good.  

What I look for is objectively good performances against defenses not in the top 5. 

Against the top 5, I am looking for enough good plays to get the win.  Meaning, a performance I would think is "not good" against other defenses, is more than acceptable against a top 5 defense. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I mean, I agree, I want him to do well against a good defense. Here is the thing, good defenses make QBs play bad. That is why they are good.  

What I look for is objectively good performances against defenses not in the top 5. 

Against the top 5, I am looking for enough good plays to get the win.  Meaning, a performance I would think is "not good" against other defenses, is more than acceptable against a top 5 defense. 

Without picking a part words / phrases or being over analytical, I agree with your overarching opinion.

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Good for Allen.  I am a bit surprised because I expected Jackson to get it after that game against Houston.  Similar overall numbers (so it was deserved), but I didn’t expect Buffalo/Allen to get love from the national media over Baltimore/Jackson. 

Lamar has to have a few of these under his belt, perhaps they were just trying to spread the love a bit.

He did have another great performance though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

Its a message board. Grow some coconuts bro & lighten up. 

Ive personally "liked, lol'd & meh'd" some of your posts over the months. Doesn't mean much. Nobody here hates you, lol.

Yeah they do.   ?

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

5 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Daboll was too short for the sideline. He can read the field and tell Josh what to do from up top. 

It's been proven that there's not enough time to have Dabs read the field, see the coverage AND relay to Josh the play call & protection.

What nohuddling DOES is it allows Allen to do get to the line and adjust on his own "silently". Com is cut off at 15.

Edited by r00tabaga

4 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I was in the camp of seriously questioning Beane's decision to Draft Allen but once he was Drafted, I embraced him as the Buffalo Bills QB and never looked back hoping it was the right decision. That said, I've also been one carefully watching his development and his challenges to see if he can actually improve in the areas that have been rehearsed and debated ad nauseum. His Pats game was without a doubt concerning as I thought we'd see a major set-back from the year 2 progress I, along with everyone else, hoped and believed we'd see - given his final quarter of games last year. 

So his last four to five games have been mildly encouraging to see his upward trend toward marked improvement. This last week against Miami was terrific and he's earned this recognition and I truly hope the upward trajectory continues over the rest of the season. But, and this is important, this week's success - while sweet and enjoyable - will be nullified if he does not continue to grow and mature to the point of being a very good to great QB. This week we need to see continuity of improvement, continued good decision-making against a much better pass Defense, reading and adjusting to what the Defense gives him, smart runs not panicked ones, check-downs, etc. I believe we will see it - but needs to show itself before we can breath the collective sigh of relief that we've all been hoping for in the realm of a Franchise QB.

Unfortunately progress isn't linear.

Like the stock market the graph goes up and down at the end of the investment period you want it at its peak.

Every QB has peaks a valleys its how you respond after a poor game that counts. 

5 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That little stat on the bottom's gonna be tough for the critics to explain away.

Yep; people around here think 300+ yards is more important than TDs.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the primitive goal of football is to get the ball over your opponent's goal line or through their uprights, and to prevent the other team from doing the same to you???

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Let's face it, any QB would be in the Pro Bowl if he could play against the Dolphins every week.

I'm actually more impressed with how Allen played the past few games against better DBs, better pass rushes, better LBs.  He's being careful, which is what he needs to do.  His progression is very promising.