Can the Detractors Now Admit Allen's Growth?

H2o

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

Bleh. That’s why I said maybe take a step back and look again. I don’t even think that’s close. He has bombed a few games. Has Lamar bombed in any? How could you have him ahead? Heck, even he signed LJ for MVP after his no show Sunday. 

I’m not saying he is bad, I just think you are too easy on him. 

Lamar bombed completely against the Steelers. I think after Sunday Lamar might have jumped him in that race - Wilson is winning it in any event - but Watson is still outstanding. 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh yea, as bad as Watson was on Sunday - and I agree he was bad.... very rare for him but I thought he looked rattled and lost his poise a bit - the reason they lost was the defense couldn't stop to Ravens at all. Even if they didn't get hosed on the early non call PI on Hopkins the Texans were not staying in that game for long as the Ravens run game steamrolled them 

I also am not a big obrien fan. Don't think he makes that offense go

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Lamar bombed completely against the Steelers. I think after Sunday Lamar might have jumped him in that race - Wilson is winning it in any event - but Watson is still outstanding. 

Let’s see how the next six or so weeks ago. He is doing less on schedule now than he did as a rookie. I believe it’s catching up to him. He has a good chance to prove me wrong tomorrow. 

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He played that game with broken ribs and a bruised lung. 

He is a fantastic quarterback. 

He played fine against Carolina. He was being absolutely crushed behind the line that day. Unfortunately for Houston just when they had got their line sorted a couple of guys have got nicked up and Baltimore took full advantage. 

Yes, his OL is putrid. It reminds me of Andrew Luck's OL his first few years in the league. 

I haven’t any of this thread but from being here for north of 25k posts (embarrassing) I want to try something new. Did the conversation go like this? Those who didn’t want Josh tried to dig in and take a “wait and see approach.” Those who wanted Josh tried to say “I told you so” and disparaged every other QB in the class. It broke off into a debate of should we have taken Lamar (as he is the best of that class but those on this side would have easily taken Baker, Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph, etc.. to fit the argument). Those defending Josh immediately have to discredit Lamar (or Baker, Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph,  etc..) to strengthen their argument for Josh. The one thing that we’ve learned on this message board is there CAN’T be 2 successful guys, at the same position, in the same draft class.

How did I do?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I haven’t any of this thread but from being here for north of 25k posts (embarrassing) I want to try something new. Did the conversation go like this? Those who didn’t want Josh tried to dig in and take a “wait and see approach.” Those who wanted Josh tried to say “I told you so” and disparaged every other QB in the class. It broke off into a debate of should we have taken Lamar (as he is the best of that class but those on this side would have easily taken Baker, Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph, etc.. to fit the argument). Those defending Josh immediately have to discredit Lamar (or Baker, Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph,  etc..) to strengthen their argument for Josh. The one thing that we’ve learned on this message board is there CAN’T be 2 successful guys, at the same position, in the same draft class.

How did I do?

I didn't read the entire thread either, but I would say close enough.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Didn't see this posted elsewhere, but Chris Brown mentioned on One Bills Live on Monday at the 1:49 mark that he talked to Josh about his comfort with the no huddle based on how comfortable he looked. Josh indicated he is more comfortable in No Huddle and it helps him make better decisions and he expects that is where they will be going coming up. https://www.buffalobills.com/audio/obl-11-18-josh-allen-on-his-strong-outing-in-sunday-s-win-eric-wood-chris-brown-

I am excited to see it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

How did I do?

Last year .. Baker was by far the next great thing .. this year not so much. The fact is we will know in 3 years or so .. who if any (including JA) will be great.  I think Josh has clearly progressed, but what is to say he won't regress like Baker did. What is to say Baker won't regain his form? We shall see, but in the meantime I am excited to see if Josh can continue to grow. To your point .. the always Joshers are just as frustrating as the wrong Joshers.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Didn't see this posted elsewhere, but Chris Brown mentioned on One Bills Live on Monday at the 1:49 mark that he talked to Josh about his comfort with the no huddle based on how comfortable he looked. Josh indicated he is more comfortable in No Huddle and it helps him make better decisions and he expects that is where they will be going coming up. https://www.buffalobills.com/audio/obl-11-18-josh-allen-on-his-strong-outing-in-sunday-s-win-eric-wood-chris-brown-

I am excited to see it.

Interesting

5 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Last year .. Baker was by far the next great thing .. this year not so much. The fact is we will know in 3 years or so .. who if any (including JA) will be great.  I think Josh has clearly progressed, but what is to say he won't regress like Baker did. What is to say Baker won't regain his form? We shall see, but in the meantime I am excited to see if Josh can continue to grow. To your point .. the always Joshers are just as frustrating as the wrong Joshers.

Yep, the reality is there is going to be good and bad. Josh is playing really well. I believe he’s going to be good. It’s far too early to write off any of those guys at this point (even Rosen). Things can change quickly in this league. Let’s be happy that we have a guy playing well. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As for the number of people who come to a message board to be disruptive and troll.....let me say, being a mod is an education in human psychology, and leave it at that.

Yeah. I see the Reddit chat on occasion before I can X it out when I'm "borrowing" the Bills stream.

In my bubble, I prefer to believe these people don't really exist. Just some random computer generated speech come to life. Please don't ruin that particular delusion for me!

30 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

How did I do?

Someone’s been paying attention! 

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

How did I do?

Meh

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm notoriously bad at getting links to work, so maybe this won't. The list starts at 32 and works up. I kept expecting the Bills to show up anywhere from 20 upwards. Turns out they have Allen and the team listed as eighth best. Don't know who their experts are, but this is one of the more encouraging assessments I've seen.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/future-qb-rankings-rating-all-32-nfl-teams-situations-from-worst-to-best/ss-BBX3mdv?ocid=ientp#image=26

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Admittedly I don't think I saw that game but it might be the only Texans game I haven't seen all season. He has been having an incredible year. Genuinely before Sunday I had him top 3 for MVP behind Wilson and right there with Christian McCaffrey.

Watson was bad against the Chiefs imo, nothing but dumpoffs and throwing the ball in the general vicinity of Hopkins. How do you have him above Rodgers, Prescott, Stafford, Cousins...heck you could even argue Carr is having a better year than Deshaun Watson right now. 

Threw the game away against the Colts too iirc, not saying he's no good but definitely oversold here

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I admire the moxie of anyone who has a firm conviction on how Josh turns out, one way or the other. I’m certainly hopeful, and I like what I perceive as progress, but I can’t swear he’s the guy yet. I guess I’m a cautious optimist. 

It's hard when it comes to Allen as he has shown the plasticity to be open to coaching and seems to have the ability to apply what he has learned. There are some ups and downs, but I think the overall trend is a positive aggregate of lessons learned and applied.

So any blanket statements like "he will never", or "he will always" are premature at best considering he is still growing as a NFL QB.

Hard to know what we have till you can come to a consensus that his NFL skills have plateaued. As long as he is willing to put in the work, and that work shows up in a positive way as improved results on the field, we will need to be patient.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm notoriously bad at getting links to work, so maybe this won't. The list starts at 32 and works up. I kept expecting the Bills to show up anywhere from 20 upwards. Turns out they have Allen and the team listed as eighth best. Don't know who their experts are, but this is one of the more encouraging assessments I've seen.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/future-qb-rankings-rating-all-32-nfl-teams-situations-from-worst-to-best/ss-BBX3mdv?ocid=ientp#image=26

Yeah, but the article has Mahomes, Watson, and Jackson all ranked higher than him. This team, coaching staff, and FO sucks. :rolleyes:

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

How did I do?

Horseshoes and hand grenades.