Driving for Uber/Lyft

Captain Hindsight

My family has had some unforeseen expenses that are going to require some extra income for a few months so I've been trying to find some side gigs. I work as an engineer so my days are pretty full and its our busy time of year so I'm not sure I could meet the demands (hours) of a traditional retail job. That leaves Uber/Lyft. I've taken these plenty of times, but I don't know anyone that has driven for Uber. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth getting into?

10 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

My family has had some unforeseen expenses that are going to require some extra income for a few months so I've been trying to find some side gigs. I work as an engineer so my days are pretty full and its our busy time of year so I'm not sure I could meet the demands (hours) of a traditional retail job. That leaves Uber/Lyft. I've taken these plenty of times, but I don't know anyone that has driven for Uber. 

Your an engineer? Lower your ethics/standards and become a 'stamp for hire', lol

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I drove for a little bit and have two friends that do it for a living.

It can definitely make money but there’s certain times of the day you have to do it. 6am-10am then 4pm-7pm week days. Pretty much when people are going to and from work.

Week ends are hit or miss during the day but at night you can make 300 taking people to the bars depending how late you go. New Year’s Eve you’ll make a lot. Keep bags in your door pockets Incase people need to throw up and you can’t pull over in time. 

If it’s snowing or any crappy weather turn it on.  Go near colleges. Ub you’ll get a lot of shorter rides and you’ll get them all day but there’s a lot of drivers that sit in the area. Download the rider app and check to see where the other drivers are so you’re not sitting in an area with 10 other Uber’s waiting for the same ride.

Don’t chase surges you’ll waste gas and by the time you get there it’ll be gone. 

You have to pay your own taxes. 

Sign up for both Lyft and uber and keep both on. If you get a ride with one or other turn the opposite off. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

where do you live?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Suburb of Rochester

I have never driven, but thought about it when i was bored a while ago(long story), and i enjoy driving and meeting new people. ...my research indicated kinda what @Not at the table Karlos said above..be in the city where people like to take Ubers ..would need to do at rush hours..and  on weekend nights when people are partying more. Down side to that is drunks and the stupid things drunks(like me) do when drunk!!!

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

It can definitely make money but there’s certain times of the day you have to do it. 6am-10am then 4pm-7pm week days. Pretty much when people are going to and from work.

Week ends are hit or miss during the day but at night you can make 300 taking people to the bars depending how late you go. New Year’s Eve you’ll make a lot. Keep bags in your door pockets Incase people need to throw up and you can’t pull over in time. 

If it’s snowing or any crappy weather turn it on.  Go near colleges. Ub you’ll get a lot of shorter rides and you’ll get them all day but there’s a lot of drivers that sit in the area. Download the rider app and check to see where the other drivers are so you’re not sitting in an area with 10 other Uber’s waiting for the same ride.

Don’t chase surges you’ll waste gas and by the time you get there it’ll be gone. 

Sign up for both Lyft and uber and keep both on. If you get a ride with one or other turn the opposite off. 

All of this, especially not chasing surges.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Depending on what you professional skill set is, you may want to check out some of the freelancing sites. You can find a list of some of them here:

https://millo.co/sites-like-upwork

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Suburb of Rochester

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Been driving for both Lyft and Uber since it's onset in Rochester, part time as a way to supplement income.  To piggyback what Karlos said, you have to know the times and places. 

Right now, I do Friday commutes (3-7pm) and Saturday early evening (6-11).  I can pull $150 during those times.  If you drive later your rate will go up with surging. You'll be able to make upwards of $30 an hour. 

Currently, the UofR is a hit bed of ride sharing.  Asian chicks as far as the eye can see looking for rides. Naz and Fisher are great on weekends taking scantily clad underclassen (underclasswomen?) to and from parties and bars. RIT has been hit or miss. 

The East End scene is nuts on weekends.  It'll surge from 12-3. Get signed up now. They have to do a background check which can take a week or two. 

YOU DONT WANT TO MISS OUT ON THANKSGIVING EVE. EASY WAY TO POP A FEW HUNJ IN YOUR ACCOUNT!! 

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

All of this, especially not chasing surges.

To a degree but often the surges are close enough if you head in that direction, you'll be the beneficiary.  If its more than a couple miles away, it's probably not worth it. 

22 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why don't you just pick people up on way to and from work, to store, anytime you go out.  You know... The way it was invented.

When did Uber turn into driving a cab?

Because you do this, and then you get close to a small airport nearby, and two people fly in on a private jet that then need to go to Dayton. I had an hour for lunch, not 2.5 hours.

3 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Because you do this, and then you get close to a small airport nearby, and two people fly in on a private jet that then need to go to Dayton. I had an hour for lunch, not 2.5 hours.

No offense, but that's your problem.

It's a deregulated cab industry now.

I mean... The OP says he works a job... Now people are saying gig at certain times... Like mid-morning, rush hour, etc... Aren't they part of the rush hour, working during these times.

Uber was never intended to turn into a "real" job. I don't get it, people always push things.  Wreck the spirit of thingd, or was it planned to do that?  Wasn't it intended to pick people up when the driver was doing other things.  When did it turn into a dedicated job?

There are only so many hours of the day.

Then the enviro angle... How is thid better?  Wouldn't be better if people were waiting.  Burning fuel everywhere, cruising fares.

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I mean... The OP says he works a job... Now people are saying gig at certain times... Like mid-morning, rush hour, etc... Aren't they part of the rush hour, working during these times.

Uber was never intended to turn into a "real" job. I don't get it, people always push things.  Wreck the spirit of thingd, or was it planned to do that?  Wasn't it intended to pick people up when the driver was doing other things.  When did it turn into a dedicated job?

Then the enviro angle... How is thid better?  Wouldn't be better if people were waiting.  Burning fuel everywhere, cruising fares.

Not to speak for the ride sharing community as a whole but I don't know one driver that "does it as intended".  I mean I get it, the term "ride sharing" lends itself to that idealogy.  

Unfortunately, for better or worse, it's blossomed (festered?) into something different.  I'm sure there are multitudes of reasons how it got there (societal underemployment, aging low skill work force, yada yada) but it's where we are. It's in it's current state due to supply and demand. 

I like having the ability to make some cake on the side whenever I have some free time. It feels good to help people be safe and not drink and drive, which is at least 50% of my rides. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Not to speak for the ride sharing community as a whole but I don't know one driver that "does it as intended".  I mean I get it, the term "ride sharing" lends itself to that idealogy.  

Unfortunately, for better or worse, it's blossomed (festered?) into something different.  I'm sure there are multitudes of reasons how it got there (societal underemployment, aging low skill work force, yada yada) but it's where we are. It's in it's current state due to supply and demand. 

I like having the ability to make some cake on the side whenever I have some free time. It feels good to help people be safe and not drink and drive, which is at least 50% of my rides. 

But... You know it's moving to phase labor, drivers, right out of the picture.

Just the first salvo to soften people and their wallets up for the coming automation.

It's like asking: "Is the game of football better now than 60 years ago?"

Sure... It's bigger, faster, stronger.  But is it better?  Hardly.  The game is actually worse, unwatchable.  But... You have your extra scratch.  Same thing when households moved to two incomes.  Nice at first.  Now, that everybody is doing it?  It's almost mandatory to survive?

I see it all as twists on tragedy of commons. Resources dwindle more and more... The game becomes more competitive.

28 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Boy, I sure do miss the high level of convenience, excellent customer service, friendly/courteous drivers, and clean cars of the old regulated cab industry!  :lol::lol:

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Boy, I sure do miss the high level of convenience, excellent customer service, friendly/courteous drivers, and clean cars of the old regulated cab industry!  :lol::lol:

Bring back the Checker Motors Corporation!

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Correct company name.
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

This is a great point. Especially here in the 585.  Getting a cab is almost useless. Between the 45-60 min wait, the wonderful disposition of the drivers and the exorbitant costs, the taxi industry in Rochester was a non-factor in this town.

Speaking with multitudes of riders over the years, ride sharing has been a revelation in Rochester. We were a drunk driving town for all of my adult life minus the last two years.  I have countless peers with DWIs due to this period of time. 

We're all glad there are options now. 

17 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

As I wave my hand in front of face: "It's all about me!"

Yeah... But pollute the world going the private contractor root. The world is your dumpster over your time, & convenience. You'll be dead, you won't see the consequences because Jim "Iggy" Ignatowski isn't driving you with a company cab and placard.  Hope you don't get smeared, end up a parapalegic.

??

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

This is a great point. Especially here in the 585.  Getting a cab is almost useless. Between the 45-60 min wait, the wonderful disposition of the drivers and the exorbitant costs, the taxi industry in Rochester was a non-factor in this town.

Speaking with multitudes of riders over the years, ride sharing has been a revelation in Rochester. We were a drunk driving town for all of my adult life minus the last two years.  I have countless peers with DWIs due to this period of time. 

We're all glad there are options now. 

Don't get me wrong.  That's great... But it's the in between to full automation. Then what are we going do when the $$$$ ends up in less and less hands of the individual?

Maybe we will be dead.  But the end game isn't pretty.

We gotta an engineer.  Probably degreed... Moonlighting.  What's next?

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why don't you just pick people up on way to and from work, to store, anytime you go out.  You know... The way it was invented.

When did Uber turn into driving a cab?

Hasn't it always been driving a cab? The only difference is can drivers work for a cab company that provides then the vehicle, have way more licencing required for the business, and the driver's don't usually get to just pick if and when they want to work. Uber/Lyft removed the overhead of having to own fleet vehicles and full time drivers, by letting you chose if and when you want to work using your own vehicle.

5 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Hasn't it always been driving a cab? The only difference is can drivers work for a cab company that provides then the vehicle, have way more licencing required for the business, and the driver's don't usually get to just pick if and when they want to work. Uber/Lyft removed the overhead of having to own fleet vehicles and full time drivers, by letting you chose if and when you want to work using your own vehicle.

You can rent/lease a vehicle from Uber.  Even get a phone.  From what I hear... The system is even more parasitic than the old cab companies.  I'd rather take my chances with a dispatcher like Louie and mechanic named Latka than 3 guys leasing a vehicle and doing zero maintenance.  Heck who knows if that "clean" car @KD in CA is jumping into w/his wife and kids even has decent brakes.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

28 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

??

Don't get me wrong.  That's great... But it's the in between to full automation. Then what are we going do when the $$$$ ends up in less and less hands of the individual?

Maybe we will be dead.  But the end game isn't pretty.

We gotta an engineer.  Probably degreed... Moonlighting.  What's next?

I bet most of the people who love and support ride sharing hate using self checkouts at the stores and want to use the regular checkouts cause they don't want to put people out of work going automated, but have no problem putting a full time can driver out of work......

4 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Do you have enough $$$$$ to keep your brakes up, oil changed and that pesky Check Engine Light off?

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You can rent/lease a vehicle from Uber.  Even get a phone.  From what I hear... The system is even more parasitic than the old cab companies.  I'd rather take my chances with a dispatcher like Louie and mechanic named Latka than 3 guys leasing a vehicle and doing zero maintenance.  Heck who knows if that "clean" car @KD in CA is jumping into w/his wife and kids even has decent brakes.

I think it evolved to now being able to lease card from them, it started as having to use your own.

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

I bet most of the people who love and support ride sharing hate using self checkouts at the stores and want to use the regular checkouts cause they don't want to put people out of work going automated, but have no problem putting a full time can driver out of work......

I think with self checkouts... It's 4:1.  There is still an overseer working 4+ registers... You're just helping them.

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think it evolved to now being able to lease card from them, it started as having to use your own.

Yup.  And I hear it's very parasitic.  You gotta hustle.  I respect the hustle.

Yet... Once again, wages in this country still lag 8% behind production.  That ain't right.

Go all self check... People will rip off left and right.  In my Hood, they actually tore them out.  LMAO...

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

My wife was always about busses/cabs since she doesn't drive. But when Uber/Lyft came to Syracuse, she became a convert after her first ride, because of the cost. It was costing her about half to take an Uber as it did before in a cab.  Some cab companies here are trying to get in the game by offering their own app, or even jumping on Uber/Lyft, but they have had to let drivers go.

Side note - I remember hearing on the news when Uber was here interviewing people before they started, of one guy that quit his job, bought a big SUV, just to be a full time Uber driver. I wonder how he's doing now. 

Oh, and she will always use the manned checkouts. 

4 hours ago, Just Jack said:

My wife was always about busses/cabs since she doesn't drive. But when Uber/Lyft came to Syracuse, she became a convert after her first ride, because of the cost. It was costing her about half to take an Uber as it did before in a cab.  Some cab companies here are trying to get in the game by offering their own app, or even jumping on Uber/Lyft, but they have had to let drivers go.

Side note - I remember hearing on the news when Uber was here interviewing people before they started, of one guy that quit his job, bought a big SUV, just to be a full time Uber driver. I wonder how he's doing now. 

Oh, and she will always use the manned checkouts. 

If he has half a brian, he's doing fine.  The downside is working until 3 am on weekends.  If he's driving weekend nights and  weekday commutes, he's probably doing well.  Oh and he's not terribly far from NY States little secret.  Ithaca.  Its always surging at ridiculous levels.  Double and Triple normal rates.  I've been tempted to make the 90 minute jaunt down there to pull in serious coin.  

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Oh and he's not terribly far from NY States little secret.  Ithaca.  Its always surging at ridiculous levels.  Double and Triple normal rates.  I've been tempted to make the 90 minute jaunt down there to pull in serious coin.  

Probably because it's more "environmentally friendly" for all those granolas that live there. Plus parking "downtown", not at the strip malls, is hard to come by. 

I have a good buddy from college who drives for Uber in Cincinnati in his free time. He enjoys it and meets a lot of cool people while finding a bunch of cool destinations. Every time I go up we hit new places. “I picked up some folks here and they raved about it!” 

He tries to keep track of what he actually makes, as that was my real concern. What do you REALLY get after gas, depreciation, etc. He pays attention and still drives, and it fits his schedule. I guess it works for him. 

17 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Funny, i think sometimes most of us get so caught up in not getting in a cab, we lose the forest for the trees. DC cabs are now, for the most part, clean, comfortable, and with decent drivers. And during surge times, they are actually cheaper, sometimes by as much as 60-70%, than Ubers. 

I have no problems now asking how much to my destination to the cab driver just to make sure before i get in. Again, i use uber/lyft 90% of the time, but if you are in good size city during a surge event, cab is prolly better way to go!

• Like (+1) 1

Last time I got insurance on a new vehicle they wanted to know if I was doing any ride sharing. I don’t know what happens if you tell them you are or what happens if you get into an accident and haven’t told them but it is something to think about. I know a few guys that do it and they average about 18 an hour. One guy has a regular route from Charleston to I think Charlotte because it is easier for the client than driving or taking a plane. 

35 minutes ago, Wnybricky said:

Last time I got insurance on a new vehicle they wanted to know if I was doing any ride sharing. I don’t know what happens if you tell them you are or what happens if you get into an accident and haven’t told them but it is something to think about. I know a few guys that do it and they average about 18 an hour. One guy has a regular route from Charleston to I think Charlotte because it is easier for the client than driving or taking a plane. 

Crap... Just adding my 17 year old daughter to policy is costing me and extra $100/month.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:52 AM, apuszczalowski said:

Uh....wut?

Uber has created thousands and thousands of drivers jobs.  And I choose automated checkout vs human based on number of items I have and length of the respective lines.  If there's no line at self checkout and I have just a couple things, that's easiest.  If it's a full cart, the cashier can bang it out and bag it a lot faster than I can.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:21 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

As I wave my hand in front of face: "It's all about me!"

Yeah... But pollute the world going the private contractor root. The world is your dumpster over your time, & convenience. You'll be dead, you won't see the consequences because Jim "Iggy" Ignatowski isn't driving you with a company cab and placard.  Hope you don't get smeared, end up a parapalegic.

I love when you get all worked up and start spouting nonsensical crap.  Yeah, ***** old cabs being driven by some guy who can't read the road signs in English was not only super safe (oh wait...never mind, he had a placard, the ultimate guarantee of safety!!), but also such a glorious example of equality and the brotherhood of all working men!  :lol:    And how dare I "pollute the world" by getting a ride in some guy's brand new Prius vs some giant, 20 year old, yellow rust bucket!

• Like (+1) 1