Bills at Browns Post Game Post Mortem

Browns fan here, don't worry Bills backers, you'll still make the playoffs, your schedule is very favorable. 

Your team tried really hard, just came up a bit short. You have some nice pieces, Singletary is good, that cornerback on OBJ. In a couple of years you could be great! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Urdad said:

Browns fan here, don't worry Bills backers, you'll still make the playoffs, your schedule is very favorable. 

Your team tried really hard, just came up a bit short. You have some nice pieces, Singletary is good, that cornerback on OBJ. In a couple of years you could be great! 

What about Allen? 

3 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

It really is, and none of McDermott's teams are any better than Rex's teams.

No, they're not...and that is sad.

So what to do now?  Wait for the light to come on with McD that he needs to get a better grip on the offense, re-think his defense, spend more time with SpT?  I don't think he really understands these other phases.  He also seems too rigid to change his defense, as well as coordinator.  

I doubt the Pegulas are panicking right now, but they don't really know a lot about football.  Plus McD and Beane are peers; neither can, or will fire the other.  The last thing we want to do is start over with a brand new defense (i.e. 3-4 or different variety of 4-3) and new personnel; that is how we stay 7-9.  Not an easy problem. 

5 minutes ago, Urdad said:

Thanks I feel so much better now!

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

No, they're not...and that is sad.

So what to do now?  Wait for the light to come on with McD that he needs to get a better grip on the offense, re-think his defense, spend more time with SpT?  I don't think he really understands these other phases.  He also seems too rigid to change his defense, as well as coordinator.  

I doubt the Pegulas are panicking right now, but they don't really know a lot about football.  Plus McD and Beane are peers; neither can, or will fire the other.  The last thing we want to do is start over with a brand new defense (i.e. 3-4 or different variety of 4-3) and new personnel; that is how we stay 7-9.  Not an easy problem. 

If the Bills miss the playoff's, and I am Pegula, I tell Beane to fire McDermott and start a HC search, and Beane has full say on who to hire, no butting in from the owners. I personally would do that no matter what, because even if the Bills sneak into the playoff's with this pitifull schedule, McDermott is showing he can't coach in this modern era of football. It's simply a waste of everyone's time to keep him on as HC.

26 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You can have a thing you don't deserve, and right now the Bills have a winning record. Enjoy. I'm sure it'll mean a lot in January.

Unless the refs gave us a win, we deserve them. Ugly or not. It must suck to be someone who doesn't enjoy wins.

3 hours ago, WideNine said:

Well we are what we are.

A poor offensive team with a decent defense that struggles to get off the field and stop the run and a defensive back in Wallace who is a liability in single coverage. The defense did an amazing job in their goal line stands and I will not take that away from them.

Hausch misses field goals so McD and Daboll cannot play the game like they can win by playing for field position and field goals. As much as I believe in consistency I still feel that Daboll game-plans and personnel selections are head-scratchers what is wrong with our screens - they get sniffed out all the time and Allen has to choose between throwing it in the dirt or into crowd of mixed jerseys. Why is Lee Smith on the field at all - how many holding penalties does it take to lose reps on this team ? Why is Duke not suited up when you need to be able to get Singletary out on the edge with space?

We have proved nothing against talented teams and Kitchens called one of the worst games I have ever seen and the Bills coaching staff still were out-coached - embarrassing and they are going to need to hear the critique that something needs to change. Especially the offense as that game management at the end was abysmal. Daboll has taught Allen that they can spike the ball to stop the clock - right? And a huddle with the clock running - WTF, that's coaching, more specifically the failure of coaching.

The Bills need to accept that they are not that good yet (sigh).

Sky is not falling - that 24 yard pass at the end was the longest by Mayfield, but good teams and defenses do not give up that score at the end.

We need another corner who can play man and be physical where I believe Wallace excels as a zone DB. Most of that drive, including the TD, was on Wallace.

He was fine when we ran man principles. Hes just too small to be physical hes NORMALLY bend but dont break. Landry is definitely on par with AT LEAST Brown. He's a 1b receiver. Landry is a horrific match for Wallace

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Allen said:

Looking at the big picture, I think the offense and defense are better than they were last year, and are on track to get even better next year.

My concern , like most everyone else's, is the offense. The total is less than the sum of its parts. The OL is ranked higher. Brown and Beasley are upgrades from last year, and so are Singletary and Gore. Allen has a higher passing percentage. It might not be full of Pro Bowlers, but you'd think by looking at the roster the offense would be more productive. Is Allen regressing? Is it the play calling? Honestly, I don't have an answer.  

The offense is played by 100% JAG's or in a couple of positions worse. Talent wise they are a bit better

than last year. At least on paper. Not a single bona fide star among them. It shows..The o-line has yet to develop any continuity or rhythm.

There never seems aside from the occasional drive (earlier in the season)  any cohesion, or taking advantage of an opponents  weakness. Like today going up against the 30th ranked run D. And they don't run. 

The tight end position is still week. The team needs a true #1 receiver. Brown is a very good #2. The RT position is sub par. The LT position is barely adequate. This offense is what it is. Below average especially for a team with a winning record. 

A lot of the problems on offense are very conservative game planning. As for Dabol, and  the "the team needs to execute"

the game plan. well that only holds water for so long.

Eventually all of this falls on the coaching,  and talent acquired. So for the rest of this season this is what we get every Sunday. 

I really wonder if McD has the skill necessary to dominate in the NFL? Next season is his fourth. He needs a lot of work on his gameday skills. He sucks at it right now. 

8 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

If the Bills miss the playoff's, and I am Pegula, I tell Beane to fire McDermott and start a HC search, and Beane has full say on who to hire, no butting in from the owners. I personally would do that no matter what, because even if the Bills sneak into the playoff's with this pitifull schedule, McDermott is showing he can't coach in this modern era of football. It's simply a waste of everyone's time to keep him on as HC.

That’s nice.  It’s not happening and you know it.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't like the "Team X lost to team Y this weekend, it happens!" when team X always has a track record of regularly beating teams better than any bills opponent in victory over the last two seasons

Like, yes, the Colts lost to the Dolphins...after losing Luck, and THEN Brissett, and beating Houston and KC with Mahomes. Sure, the Saints lost to fall to 7-2, after beating Seattle, Dallas, Houston. Winning playoff games the year before in each team's case. 

Like, we looked like ass against Cincy, Miami, barely squeaking out wins, and fall in ugly fashion whenever our opponent is anything better than the dregs of the league