Bills at Browns Post Game Post Mortem

5 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Thats honestly your takeaway?! If so, your football acumen seems pretty suspect. Like the idiot who called the postgame show saying he wants to see a VET come and try and make these throws - WHAT?! YES, the deep balls need to come.... the sooner the better, but itll happen. It would have helped today, esp on the McKenzie throw BUT thats like 14th on the list of whats going on. 

When you play to outsocre the other team by a point, then the margin for error is much smaller and when everything doesn't go your way you end up with a game like today.

Plain STUPID things like being lucky they fell for the 1st Allen TD. Is our OC really that naive to think they are dumb enough to fall for it AGAIN?! Thats crap you try in Little Loop - NOT the NFL. Its just a pure WASTE of a redzone play!! Same with essentially the entire construct of the 3 plays prior to H missing his 1st FG attempt. The only shot at the endzone is essentially a throwaway?! GO FOR THE JUGULAR!! 

3rd and short and we go for a bomb that was essentially another throwaway?! Some will complain it was a poor pass by Allen, but he knew he was throwing into double coverage and put it over everyones head to be safe. Piss poor playcall right inline w 3 Gore runs up the middle last week and 3rd and 4 on the last play before the last attempt. A FADE route?! Low % play to begin with and just a safe dump by Allen bc it wasnt there. I guess props to Allen for knowing to be safe with it, but good god its poor playcalling. 

Its like he says to himself 'ok, i know this stuff works but this stuff doesnt so lets see if we can try and get it going' RATHER THAN DOING WHATS BEEN WORKING. 

At the start of the year it seemed as though plays were being stacked and each had a purpose to set stuff up for later in the game. Now its like he has a conservative play dart board and hes just chucking darts. 

Allen makes some GREAT throws and hopefully he is who we hope. 

Sure the fumbles and deep ball need to be fixed.

Yes, Motor could have been unvolved more.

Of course, if the D makes a stop they win.

Obviously 2 FG change the score.

THESE are ALL legitimate gripes.  

Sadly, they are all down the list because first and foremost the crappy conservative playcalling needs to be fixed becuase id imagine youd win more games trying to win 40 to 16 rather than 17-16. Time and place Daboll, time and place...

Stopped reading when you tried to criticize my “football acumen”, get a grip potato chip.

No that’s not my only takeaway, but it’s the most glaring deficiency on offense, (aside from suspect playcalling and getting into away from the run in a close game).

That was his strongest attribute last year, the big play.  They need that. It cost them huge today.  You’re little diatribe isn’t going to change the 14 points he left on the field, in what was a 3 point scoring differential.  

Deep ball is going to come? FOH, they are past the half way point of the year and he has yet to connect, despite his other worldly arm talent... Can’t blame Daboll for that. 

So yes, ultimately Josh failing to utilize his best skill as a QB is what lead to the loss today. It was their for the taking, he missed, more than once, pretty simple actually.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GG said:

Two plays signified it for me.  Bakers desperation pass to Landry to get them inside the 10, and Allen’s miss to Brown in the last series.   Mayfield gave his WR a chance at the catch, Allen didn’t.

Most people miss the point that if Allen makes the routine throws that an NFL QB is expected to make, there would be no need for 4Q heroics.   He’s not there yet, and the progress is very slow. 

Because he’s not there mentally, he misses a wide open Beasley on that play. He was always going to Brown pre snap but if he would have identified the defense and blitz he would have had Beasley wide open with room to roam.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

20+ is a deep shot,  friend. 

Thats the next gen break down. 

Ok even if that's the case only of those attempts was an inaccurate throw. I mean Allen obviously needs to be better on those shot plays, especially when the receiver is college open. It just wasn't the primary issue today. There are about 10 different plays you could point to that directly led to the loss, and only one of them was a missed deep ball. You could point to the missed deep throw to Beasley but for poor situational play calling, not for a poor pass.

4 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Because he’s not there mentally, he misses a wide open Beasley on that play. He was always going to Brown pre snap but if he would have identified the defense and blitz he would have had Beasley wide open with room to roam.

That’s hard to watch after the fact.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Ok but what is Dawkins doing on that play?  Can someone tell me?  Because if Allen turns to throw to his left he’s going to be clobbered by the free unblocked rusher.

That was just a disgraceful two minute offense.  Epic fail.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

You actually need both in equal measure. 

I'll take a talent heavy team over a McCulture team any day. Yes, a highly talented team full of diva's rarely works, and balance is required. However, what McDermott is doing will never yeild meaningful results.

Edited by Seven-N-Nine
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

At least throw a contestable pass that MIGHT yield DPI.

10 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

His fumble today had reckless written all over it. The first big run he had, he covered up beautifully. That run was him putting blinders on and thinking he’s a bowling ball RB. I would love to sit in on meetings and practices this season as I am unsure of what Dorsey and Daboll are doing to improve him. He’s improved on short throws and that’s it really.

And that is because of Dorsey not Daboll

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Ok but what is Dawkins doing on that play?  Can someone tell me?  Because if Allen turns to throw to his left he’s going to be clobbered by the free unblocked rusher.

I can’t say for sure. Daboll has said Allen sets the protections so it very well could be the case that Allen didn’t identify the blitz and so Dawkins was meant to block down inside. I can’t say for certain.

What I can say is that if he identified the blitz, he would have never been looking Browns way. And he could have thrown into the Blitz.

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

Allen made good passes?   He was terrible 90% of the game. 

The denial on this board is amazing. 

Daniel Jones, rookie, 65% completion, 308 yards, 4tds,  0 ints. 

Josh Allen is the main reason we lost today.  

What a completely idiotic post

WIth under 2 min left to go in this game Josh Allen engineered a drive that gave us the lead......and scored 2 of the TD's HIMSELF

• Haha (+1) 1

This loss is squarely on McDermott. He NEEDS to tell Daboll that Singletary needs more than 3 carries in the first half. That is unacceptable. He is our offensive identity. Period. Allen cannot carry this team right now. How many comeback and hook routes can we run for Brown. Stop. A coordinator takes his orders from his boss and McDermott is where this all starts. We cannot play to not lose. We have all seen it. I do like McDermott. A lot. But we cannot play timid, especially when we were moving the ball that last drive. 

Edited by Trey Roberts

9 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Wow. Thanks for showing that video. Allen is horrible, how do you miss beasley who is wide open for first down.  He is just not a good throwing QB.  He may make some plays with his feet but he will never be in the same league as guys such legit franchise QB such as Big Ben, Matt Ryan, Brees, etc. 

5 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Mcds defense is holding teams generally to 20 points or less. That's pretty good. If you mean the way he coaches in terms of game day etc then I'm open to hearing that. The record is everything for mcdermott. 

The offence is what worries me under mcdermott. 

Browns are not a good offense, neither are the Redskins.  The Eagles are good, and we got blown out.  This is a bend but don't break defense, which still is having problems stopping the run, though was supposed to have been fixed.  Guess not.

Yes, game day management.  Challenges, where (field position) and when to go for FGs vs 1st down, play calls when going for 3rd or 4th down, soft/zone defense, type of personnel executing schemes, and the schemes themselves.  Defensively, McD seems to have the wrong personnel at MLB and D-line (need more one-tech DT, DE needs upgraded) running his scheme, and/or the scheme is too rigid to work consistently.  This starts to explain the rush D problems and why they are not being fixed.  Offensively, Daboll (It would seem) is being left to his own devices with minimal input from McD.  Third and three throw a long ball?  Fourteen total RB rushing attempts even though Singletary can be considered a playmaker on offense?  SpT...blocked punts, muffed punts, leading to opponent scores.  Did McD leave Danny Crossman at SpT coord and put a disguise on him?

Offense is a concern, though due to Daboll, IMO.  Josh has his young project QB issues, but Daboll isn't helping things.  His offense is too complex and pass heavy for a young QB and guys new to the Bills organization.

I've heard enough of this "Process" crap, which is nothing by a platitude designed to buy him more time.  The players may be subject to the Process, but are the coaches?  I wonder...

29 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't want to hear process or culture anymore. You get embarrassed by a struggling 3-4 Eagles team. You almost lose to Miami and today you can't handle a struggling 2-6 Browns team. 

And has anyone else noticed that Philly and Cleveland seem to be 2 of the more disarrayed teams in the league?  

In Philly players were fighting each other, Cleveland is a train wreck with a terrible HC, and what did both teams and their garbage cultures do?  Beat us with our great culture.

Hmmm.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

And has anyone else noticed that Philly and Cleveland seem to be 2 of the more disarrayed teams in the league?  

In Philly players were fighting each other, Cleveland is a train wreck with a terrible HC, and what did both teams and their garbage cultures do?  Beat us with our great culture.

Hmmm.

Trust the process. 

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

How about stand and deliver it and take the hit?  It should have been an easy completion.