Bills at Browns Post Game Post Mortem

46 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I'll be calling for McDermott's head from here on out. I didn't trust him with game management since his first season, but that final drive was disgusting an inexcusable. 

The entire structure of our last possession suggested the team does not trust Allen to open it up and go for a win.

That was really interesting.  If they don't trust Allen to go out and win a football game for us, at this point, they better be trying to find a new QB.

15 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Is the Defense perfect? No, no such thing as evident by the Pats thrashing at the hands of the Ravens last week. 

To say the defense didn’t do it’s job today however is ignorant.  They did more than enough and get next to no support from the offense.  

Clearly you’re one of those guys who puts the fan hood of his favorite QB ahead of the team, I’ve seen it time and time again since the Kelly era ended.   

If Josh hits those deep balls they win, no?

Josh was not even close on any of them.  Thankful for that because one time he threw into triple coverage. 

He is still making some bad decisions and although his accuracy seems to be improved (if measured by completion percentage), he throws balls that are often not on target, making he receiver stop or adjust to get the ball.   Our team YAC must be low because he does not normally hit receivers in stride.  The eye test still show accuracy issues. 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

How about stand and deliver it and take the hit?  It should have been an easy completion.

Yhe other thing is, if he knows that’s where the blitz is coming from, he’s not facing Brown so he doesn’t have to turn. There was time for that throw but Allen needed to identify the blitz coming from there.

• Like (+1) 1

When a loss happens it’s like someone hit the lock release button at the insane asylum. It’s a loss. You know who else lost? The Saints (to the Falcons) and the Colts (to the Dolphins). Get over it. This place is a nuthouse full of ridiculous hot takes after a loss. The play calling sucked, Hauschka blew it. End of story. Nothing needs to be blown up. 

On to next week. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Sig1Hunter said:

When a loss happens it’s like someone hit the lock release button at the insane asylum. It’s a loss. You know who else lost? The Saints (to the Falcons) and the Colts (to the Dolphins). Get over it. This place is a nuthouse full of ridiculous hot takes after a loss. The play calling sucked, Hauschka blew it. End of story. Nothing needs to be blown up. 

On to next week. 

You're right, there haven't been giant alarm bells going off for weeks now.  Everything is fine.  Peachy even.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How about stand and deliver it and take the hit?  It should have been an easy completion.

Allen knew where he was throwing the ball before it was even snapped. McD wasn’t going to risk a turnover. He was playing for the tie and I’m sure Allen was instructed to throw it deep and out of bounds.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Browns are not a good offense, neither are the Redskins.  The Eagles are good, and we got blown out.  This is a bend but don't break defense, which still is having problems stopping the run, though was supposed to have been fixed.  Guess not.

Yes, game day management.  Challenges, where (field position) and when to go for FGs vs 1st down, play calls when going for 3rd or 4th down, soft/zone defense, type of personnel executing schemes, and the schemes themselves.  Defensively, McD seems to have the wrong personnel at MLB and D-line (need more one-tech DT, DE needs upgraded) running his scheme, and/or the scheme is too rigid to work consistently.  This starts to explain the rush D problems and why they are not being fixed.  Offensively, Daboll (It would seem) is being left to his own devices with minimal input from McD.  Third and three throw a long ball?  Fourteen total RB rushing attempts even though Singletary can be considered a playmaker on offense?  SpT...blocked punts, muffed punts, leading to opponent scores.  Did McD leave Danny Crossman at SpT coord and put a disguise on him?

Offense is a concern, though due to Daboll, IMO.  Josh has his young project QB issues, but Daboll isn't helping things.  His offense is too complex and pass heavy for a young QB and guys new to the Bills organization.

I've heard enough of this "Process" crap, which is nothing by a platitude designed to buy him more time.  The players may be subject to the Process, but are the coaches?  I wonder...

Hm. And the final drive on offence was disappointing. 

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The entire structure of our last possession suggested the team does not trust Allen to open it up and go for a win.

That was really interesting.  If they don't trust Allen to go out and win a football game for us, at this point, they better be trying to find a new QB.

Seems they rather lose via ineptness than having their young QB throw an interception, which may occur trying to win a game.

Just now, Bangarang said:

Allen knew where he was throwing the ball before it was even snapped. McD wasn’t going to risk a turnover. He was playing for the tie and I’m sure Allen was instructed to throw it deep and out of bounds.

I don’t think he was.  I don’t think McDermott wanted to kick a 53 yard FG to tie it.  Allen just missed.

1 hour ago, Georgia Bill said:

I can appreciate that perspective, because I think his arm strength was largely what got him here.  BUT - he's been wildly inaccurate there so far.  So I think it is best to not have him heave it more than once per game - for now, at least until/unless we are eliminated from the playoffs.  Thereafter - bombs away.  But for now you just can't give up 3 drives in a game hoping he'll start getting it right.  There is too much on the line right now.

Somewhere in between.  He needs to get the monkey off his back.

Just now, Best Williams Available said:

Seems they rather lose via ineptness than having their young QB throw an interception, which may occur trying to win a game.

I dunno. Drove them down into makeable field goal range in under 2 minutes. Our kicker missed .. again... 

When Is 61.5 percent acceptable as a kicker?

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don’t think he was.  I don’t think McDermott wanted to kick a 53 yard FG to tie it.  Allen just missed.

He said in his presser pretty much that they were looking to tie. Allen said they were playing for the 30 yard line. 

Obviously they were looking for closer. 

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

You're right, there haven't been giant alarm bells going off for weeks now.  Everything is fine.  Peachy even.

Alarm bells? Did you go into this season expecting a super bowl championship? If so, those alarm bells are your own fault for ridiculous expectations.  If you went in with wanting to see growth and potential for a playoff berth, then there’s no alarm bells. The team is a 10-6 / 9-7 type team. Which is a helluva lot better than 6-10. 

The age of “I want it now!” is a lovely time to be alive. 

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

The play design has him looking right... 

Not exactly accurate. His 1st read has him looking right. But if Allen correctly identity’s the blitz, Beasley becomes the hot route, aka his new 1st read. Allen’s doesn’t identify it or ignores it.