Joe B. All-22 Review of Bills-Eagles : Star was best Bills player on the front 7

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

And this is your example somehow of Lotulelei not playing well?

No, that's a follow up to the question why Peko sucks and Star is great. 

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is the same guy that seriously argued McDermott made a mistake not drafting a QB in the 1st round in 2017, after being here for all of 3 months. And that he should have used Carolina's QB scouting work to make his decision even though we hadn't hired a GM yet. This conversation isn't going anywhere.

You must be new here to have missed the 2017 draft discussions and the 2018 season opener blow out when Mahomes lit it up.  

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Can’t we all just agree Peko sucks and move on? 

i actually like Peko as a guy and hate saying that, but at least it’s common ground

I'd be happy to move on when someone provides definitive proof that Peko is awful and Star is very good. 

This all-22 review was done in a secret basement room in Washington D.C.  Do believe the results of this study, you have to convince yourself your defensive tackles do not have responsibility for stopping runs up the middle.  My eyes must be lying, because Star was not good during that game. 

6 minutes ago, GG said:

I'd be happy to move on when someone provides definitive proof that Peko is awful and Star is very good. 

I mean, you don’t understand gap responsibility. I’m not sure how you can ever be reasoned with. Like, if you don’t understand why passing yards is a good thing, you’ll never understand why tom Brady is good. So if you don’t understand why Gap responsibility is good, you’ll never understand DT play.

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

2 minutes ago, GG said:

JUST LOOK AT WHERE THEY LINED UP...Peko is playing the 3tech/4i spot and is generally NOT going to draw a double so he's got gap responsibility plus ball carrier. He fails on both fronts, gets his pads turned sideways and gets levered out of the play completely. Lotulelei is lined up 1tech, sees C blocking left on Oliver so knows to shade RG outside shoulder B gap for a clean A/A where Edmunds fills. Basic responsibilities of where you line up.

1 hour ago, GG said:

Nearly identical lineups, except that LBs are in a better spot in the first, and in the second the G falls down in trying to get to Edmunds (who doesn't look good at all on the tackle) . But the main point is that Star was just as easily moved off the play as Peko by a single blocker. 

Bad example.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/29/2019 at 9:26 PM, Warcodered said:

I mean we were getting killed on those screens those aren't usually DT's responsibility are they?

Having coached I always considered getting beat on screens as on me.  I as a DC wasn't ready for the call and didn't coach up my guys well enough to defend whatever screen is run and we get beat.  I put that on me.    

This D getting beat on screens is inexcusable.  We should know by now what other OCs are going to do against us:

1.  Quick pass game

2.  Run it

3.  Screen game

I think we've done such a good job by and large on D in the first half of games we haven't had to use halftime to adjust.  But the other team is adjusting to us and having better 3rd quarters.  

Lots of things the coaches need to be doing better and recognizing in game.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess I'm not seeing the positive in the news that Star was doing what he's asked, and doing what he's asked can result in being gashed for a 65 yd run if one LB reacts incorrectly.

The D was gashed for TDs on 3 successive drives and 4 out of 5 successive drives. 

Saying Star wasn't gashed is positive is "other than THAT Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play?" territory to me.

I should clarify.... it made me feel like they have a better chance at fixing the run defense, than I did on Sunday.  I thought (like Joe B) that Star was a huge reason why the defense was gashed.  His job is take on double teams and prevent blockers from getting to the second level.  Joe B said that’s exactly what he did and that he did it well.  He graded him at an A-.  

If you trust Joe’s find study then a lot of the issues on the ground involved LB’s not making plays and missing tackles - including the 65 yard run that you referenced.  Edmunds and Milano have flashed before and you can argue that they have room to improve and learn.  A veteran like Star probably has hit his ceiling.  

Of course, Peko seems to be a weak link on the defense.  Perhaps the answer is playing him less or bringing up Taylor.  But either way, knowing that Star wasn’t the huge liability in the Philadelphia game is good to know.  Of course, he does need to play better

10 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I should clarify.... it made me feel like they have a better chance at fixing the run defense, than I did on Sunday.  I thought (like Joe B) that Star was a huge reason why the defense was gashed.  His job is take on double teams and prevent blockers from getting to the second level.  Joe B said that’s exactly what he did and that he did it well.  He graded him at an A-.  

If you trust Joe’s find study then a lot of the issues on the ground involved LB’s not making plays and missing tackles - including the 65 yard run that you referenced.  Edmunds and Milano have flashed before and you can argue that they have room to improve and learn.  A veteran like Star probably has hit his ceiling.  

Of course, Peko seems to be a weak link on the defense.  Perhaps the answer is playing him less or bringing up Taylor.  But either way, knowing that Star wasn’t the huge liability in the Philadelphia game is good to know.  Of course, he does need to play better

I don't know as I trust Joe B's film study but I trust McDermott's film study.  He is not a coach given to untoward praise, so if he says Star "had a good game" he means it.

But Star is only playing about half the snaps (40% vs Dolphins; 56% vs Eagles) and there seems to be a big drop-off to Peko.

21 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Having coached I always considered getting beat on screens as on me.  I as a DC wasn't ready for the call and didn't coach up my guys well enough to defend whatever screen is run and we get beat.  I put that on me.    

This D getting beat on screens is inexcusable.  We should know by now what other OCs are going to do against us:

1.  Quick pass game

2.  Run it

3.  Screen game

I think we've done such a good job by and large on D in the first half of games we haven't had to use halftime to adjust.  But the other team is adjusting to us and having better 3rd quarters.  

Lots of things the coaches need to be doing better and recognizing in game.  

So here's a question for your coaching hat and that of others who have coached who are on this board: 

How much ability is there to making adjustments other than at halftime?  Between a series?  During a series?

4 hours ago, GG said:

Nearly identical lineups, except that LBs are in a better spot in the first, and in the second the G falls down in trying to get to Edmunds (who doesn't look good at all on the tackle) . But the main point is that Star was just as easily moved off the play as Peko by a single blocker. 

3 hours ago, GG said:

You asked me to watch the 6 minute clip vs. the dolphins and I did. You found 1 play where Peko did a good job. What I did see was too many times where Peko was on the ground or already down on 1 knee just after the snap. Watch it again. This time paying attention to how many times Peko ends up on the ground or down on 1 knee like he's praying. He isn't good and contrary to a statement you made there is a considerable dropp off between the 2. Star holds up to doubles and RARELY is on the ground. Not just give ground, but end up on the ground. It's in the clip you provided.

Edited by Dopey

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know as I trust Joe B's film study but I trust McDermott's film study.  He is not a coach given to untoward praise, so if he says Star "had a good game" he means it.

But Star is only playing about half the snaps (40% vs Dolphins; 56% vs Eagles) and there seems to be a big drop-off to Peko.

I think that Peko is a problem but ai honestly don’t think it will be too hard to find an upgrade from him 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So here's a question for your coaching hat and that of others who have coached who are on this board: 

How much ability is there to making adjustments other than at halftime?  Between a series?  During a series?

Can absolutely make personnel and play calling adjustments on the sideline no problem.  They have their plan and adjustments I just question how quick they've been to realize what's going on.  

The best we did in game in between series was vs the Giants.  Saquan went off that first series they adjusted and slowed them completely down.  

Can't take for granted your game plan has this under control....you gotta be able to burn the game plan quick if you sense say physical mismatches are causing problems, or their game plan isn't quite what you expected and you have to stop a problem somewhere else. 

I thought overall the biggest thing was the Dline just got abused and we didn't adjust to Wentz being the threat he was to run it.   

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wonder if Bobby is currently cutting out letters from a magazine and sending a message to Joe B?

If I have the right Bobby he has not shown the capability of doing that much organized thinking.  He would send his letter with his return address.

• Haha (+1) 1