Joe B. All-22 Review of Bills-Eagles : Star was best Bills player on the front 7

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, GG said:

You provided detailed playcall explanations of what an average 1Tech DT is supposed to do, which describes Star to a tee.  You've skirted the issue that the marquee FA signing last year and the 2nd highest paid defender should do more than occupy space.  BTW, there were plenty of instances of OLs blowing up Bills' LBs on Sunday.  Aren't the LBs supposed to stay clean in this scheme?

Nor have you explained exactly how Peko's play is that much worse than Star's. 

Says the guys who admits he doesn't watch the replay or the All-22.

Lol come on. Just stop. I very clearly laid out every issue for you, Gunnerbill and majBobby, chapter and verse, about how Lotulelei wasn’t the issue against the Eagles relying just on watching the broadcast...hadn’t even seen the coaches tape yet. Literally just watched DT because I spent so much time in that ‘Lotulelei is the weakest link in D line’ thread. 

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Lol come on. Just stop. I very clearly laid out every issue for you, Gunnerbill and majBobby, chapter and verse, about how Lotulelei wasn’t the issue against the Eagles relying just on watching the broadcast...hadn’t even seen the coaches tape yet. Literally just watched DT because I spent so much time in that ‘Lotulelei is the weakest link in D line’ thread. 

Gunner did state he watched the film and Star wasn't the issue.  It was our linebackers this game.

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's what he was referring to.  He didn't get to watch the full film until yesterday.

Yeh well I don’t need game tape to know what I’m seeing and it’s annoying having to repeat things to people who are willfully ignorant.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'll have to look at it again too.  I know it was tucked but I thought the DL came flying in and ripped it out.  I don't think it was a contact hit that jarred the ball loose.

So I just looked at it again.  NFL.com highlights on the game has a good slower motion shot from the front.  As Josh was running, he had the ball tucked and nowhere to really go.  Morse fell down right in front of his path.  Josh tries to cut around him but another guy that wiffed on his block tried to recover and also got in Josh's way.  While Josh ran into him, the guy he was trying to block punched the ball out.  Sorry, I didn't really pay attention to names. It's here in the highlights around the 2 min mark if you want to watch it... https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2019102701/2019/REG8/eagles@bills

To me Josh has to do better protecting the ball.  Everyone is absolutely right about that.  This one isn't really a boneheaded one though IMO.  It's just one of those caused turnovers that happen.  It happens to a lot of players.  Even Brady.  So, I agree that he needs to protect the ball better but this play isn't all on him.  There is poor execution all around him too.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But to spend that much money on that is such a complete waste of resources.  It shows outdated thinking.

He plays a critical role in McDermott's defense. He allows the LBs to do their job. On Sunday they didn't do their job. Neither did the DEs. Hughes has been way too quiet this year and Shaq Lawson was terrible against the run. Star did what he was supposed to. Yeah we overpaid him by a couple million to make sure we filled that critical spot. So what?

My biggest takeaway from this game is Peko needs to go. The drop off from Star to him is huge. Phillips was a really solid run defender before the injury. Somehow Beane needs to find someone in the middle of Peko and Phillips or we're going to get gashed every time Star leaves the field.

Edited by HappyDays

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Man Hap.   

You Nailed IT 

(is that a good thing or bad)   :lol:

Will it scare you all to learn that I know all the words? 

43 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

So I just looked at it again.  NFL.com highlights on the game has a good slower motion shot from the front.  As Josh was running, he had the ball tucked and nowhere to really go.  Morse fell down right in front of his path.  Josh tries to cut around him but another guy that wiffed on his block tried to recover and also got in Josh's way.  While Josh ran into him, the guy he was trying to block punched the ball out.  Sorry, I didn't really pay attention to names. It's here in the highlights around the 2 min mark if you want to watch it... https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2019102701/2019/REG8/eagles@bills

To me Josh has to do better protecting the ball.  Everyone is absolutely right about that.  This one isn't really a boneheaded one though IMO.  It's just one of those caused turnovers that happen.  It happens to a lot of players.  Even Brady.  So, I agree that he needs to protect the ball better but this play isn't all on him.  There is poor execution all around him too.

That was my take.  Josh really didn't do anything careless or dumb on that one, the defenders were just heads-up and targeting the ball carrier, as they do these days.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

His playing time and McDermott specifically saying he's doing a good job should be the main factor in the conclusion.  

Right because of the steep DT talent we have to replace him and Sean usually doesn't back his players in public?  He's all we have at 1 tech and Sean's not going to call him out. Sorry thoseare not my main factor in the conclusion.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Why is this bothering you so much?  

You're not willing to accept that your analysis isn't 100% correct and there is no way you can be wrong.

Because I hold professionals to standards in their jobs?  It's irresponsible for him to light the flame that Star stinks one week, then pull a big never mind the following week, when Star essentially played the same. 

The only difference is that the supporting cast didn't show up for the Eagles game.  

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Because I hold professionals to standards in their jobs?  It's irresponsible for him to light the flame that Star stinks one week, then pull a big never mind the following week, when Star essentially played the same. 

The only difference is that the supporting cast didn't show up for the Eagles game.  

3 minutes ago, GG said:

You really can’t accept someone has a differing opinion than you...that’s the root of this.

The standards you are setting are based on your analysis.  You are finding it irresponsible because you don’t agree with his analysis.

This isn’t a doctor to doctor peer review.  This is an unprofessional writer telling a professional writer he’s wrong based on his own standard.

Since you clearly read the article, is Joe B taking all negatives away from previous weeks or just saying he was good this week? Is that where your “never mind” comment is from?

16 minutes ago, GG said:

He didn’t say never mind about last week or any other week... and he said he *didn’t* play the same as last week. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You really can’t accept someone has a differing opinion than you...that’s the root of this.

The standards you are setting are based on your analysis.  You are finding it irresponsible because you don’t agree with his analysis.

This isn’t a doctor to doctor peer review.  This is an unprofessional writer telling a professional writer he’s wrong based on his own standard.

Since you clearly read the article, is Joe B taking all negatives away from previous weeks or just saying he was good this week? Is that where your “never mind” comment is from?

The problem with being unable to form you own opinions is you're beholden to whatever you've been told to believe.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He didn’t say never mind about last week or any other week... and he said he *didn’t* play the same as last week. 

Nobody played the same as they did against the Dolphins, it was a bad game across the board.