MNF: Fish at Steelers

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

His long ball appears to be a lot better than Josh's, at least he doesn't overshoot his WRs by 5+ yards.  I'm kind of surprised his comp % is that low this game.

He's also lucky he hasn't been picked at least 2 more times.

As for who throws a better long ball the sample size isn't big enough yet.  In his 18 starts Allen has hit several long throws.  How many has Rudolph hit in his 4 starts?  let's wait until each QB has at least 32 starts to determine who throws the best deep ball.

BTW the more I look at the deep ball Allen threw to Foster the more I see it as an excellent deep shot.  Most deep passes are balls that the WR TRACKS and catches.  Foster made NO play on the ball and just kept running his deep pattern like a HS kid would.  In the NFL I've seen that pass completed a lot as the WR adjusts to the ball.

And I just saw Rudolph over throw by 5 yards a WIDE OPEN WR on a deep pass.  Oh he just overthrew another deep shot.  BTW, these deep passes are not easy to hit.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't consider Stevie to be a #1.  Loved the guy but I don't think he was.  A #1 doesn't have to be a top receiver.  To me, its like I was talking about early.  A guy you can count on to catch the tough passes and bail you out.  Even the best QBs don't always make perfect passes.  A #1 catches the pass that's in his area code.  If he can't he makes sure the other team doesn't.  More to it but you get my drift I think.

You could absolutely count on Stevie and he did change several games (3 TDs against Cincy). Fitz trusted him and looked for him, and he often made the play. I think he fit the definition even if he clearly didn't have top tier talent after he left Buffalo. But I get it and won't die on an 8 year old hill, Stevie was right on the line. 

Edited by Nelius

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

That was no where close to being a nice ball. That ball was laughably short.

Wrong.  Watch it again.  If Foster makes a move back to the ball it's either a 50 yard catch or PI on the D.  That kind of throw and catch are bread & butter plays for a lot of the deep ball throwing NFL teams like the Chiefs, Rams  Saints.  Watch a couple of their games to see.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

You could absolutely count on Stevie and he did change several games (3 TDs against Cincy). Fitz trusted him and looked for him, and he often made the play. I think he fit the definition even if he clearly didn't have top tier talent after he left Buffalo.

maybe.  He also changed a couple the other way.

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And I just saw Rudolph over throw by 5 yards a WIDE OPEN WR on a deep pass.  Oh he just overthrew another deep shot.  BTW, these deep passes are not easy to hit

Yeah, that last one was 2-3 yards too long on a wide open WR.  I'm sure Rudolph wants that one back.  I know deep balls are not easy and also require tracking by the WR, but Josh has been bad with the deep ball.  McD or Daboll mentioned it needs work just last week.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yeah, that last one was 2-3 yards too long on a wide open WR.  I'm sure Rudolph wants that one back.  I know deep balls are not easy and also require tracking by the WR, but Josh has been bad with the deep ball.  McD or Daboll mentioned it needs work just last week.

Come on man you're moving the goal posts to take a shot at Allen.  We all just saw Rudolph miss a WIDE OPEN WR by as much as Allen has missed a guy deep.  And then he followed that up by missing on another deep ball by a couple of yards.  Let me know when Rudolph hits a deep ball like the one Allen hit last year against Jacksonville or Detroit. 

Long pass completions are at best low probability plays.  Gven that Allen is now accurately hitting his short passes Folks are focusing on the deep plays because Allen is struggling a bit here.