McD Factoids - Records and Such

ngbills

Overall W/L Record = 20 - 19

Overall Scoring Differential = -150

Record vs Losing Record Teams = 16 - 6

Scoring differential vs losing Record Teams = 93

Record vs Winning Record Teams = 4 - 13 (wins vs 8-7-1 2018 MIN; 9-7 2018 TEN; 10-6 2017 ATL; 10-6 2017 KC)

Scoring differential vs Winning Record Teams = -243

WINS by 10+ = 5

WINS by 20+ = 3

LOSSES by 10+ = 13

LOSSES by 20+ = 7

Record when OPP scores 20 or more = 3 - 17

AVG Score vs Winning Record Teams = Bills 12 vs OPP 27

AVG Score vs Losing Record Teams = Bills 22 vs OPP 18

Combined Teams Winning % of Wins = .371

Combined Teams Winning % of Losses = .610

Last but not least...

Challenges = 1 for 12 (Ouch

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Record vs Winning Record Teams = 4 - 13 (wins vs 8-7-1 2018 MIN; 9-7 2018 TEN; 10-6 2017 ATL; 10-6 2018 KC)

WINS by 10+ = 5

WINS by 20+ = 3

LOSSES by 10+ = 13

LOSSES by 20+ = 7

Last but not least...

Wow, this is gross.  I really don't know what to say except I expect a couple more blowouts this year to Dallas, NE.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, boater said:

He's coached 40 games in his career. 20 were blowout losses. The dude needs a mentor.

Again, when the offense can’t score the results get lopsided. McD is a defensive coach. His offensive hires are certainly fair game for criticism, though. 

• Like (+1) 3

It must have been really difficult to remain quiet through the 5-1 start. Congrats! 

This was predicted in the game day thread. If they had won it just would have been.....”well, of course, they were supposed to win!”

I’ll wait and see how things play out, but I don’t hide after a bad game. I’m also not getting into a long, dragged out waste of time. I’m not thrilled with everything (by any means!), but I remain positive about the overall direction. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

We beat bad/mediocre teams because our defense is good enough to contain them. 

We lose against good teams because our offense isn’t good enough to keep up.

Welcome to the McD era.

It's hard to coach in the NFL.  ;)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

It must have been really difficult to remain quiet through the 5-1 start. Congrats! 

This was predicted in the game day thread. If they had won it just would have been.....”well, of course, they were supposed to win!”

I’ll wait and see how things play out, but I don’t hide after a bad game. I’m also not getting into a long, dragged out waste of time. I’m not thrilled with everything (by any means!), but I remain positive about the overall direction. 

So do I. But I was bitterly disappointed yesterday and it makes me believe this team isn't quite where I (or probably McDermott) hoped it was. 

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

You show 20 losses by 10+ points but only 19 losses overall unless my math is off. 

Have we lost no close games?

Carolina the first year. Jets last year. Patriots this year. Otherwise McD wins the close ones. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

So do I. But I was bitterly disappointed yesterday and it makes me believe this team isn't quite where I (or probably McDermott) hoped it was. 

I’m certainly also disappointed, but I always felt this would be the year we grow. NEXT year I hope we make the bigger step and can actually start seriously competing for the division on a regular basis. We’ll see....

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Carolina the first year. Jets last year. Patriots this year. Otherwise McD wins the close ones. 

Then the math really doesn't work, unless I'm missing something.

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

And out they come from under their rocks.

Yeah, let’s fire him!

?

Wow, that's an uninteresting take away.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’m certainly also disappointed, but I always felt this would be the year we grow. NEXT year I hope we make the bigger step and can actually start seriously competing for the division on a regular basis. We’ll see....

Next year we will not have this cake walk schedule though. That is why this year is such an opportunity. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Augie said:

I have not been quiet and do not hide out. So not sure how you come up with that. I am sure you read my post history...

15 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

You show 20 losses by 10+ points but only 19 losses overall unless my math is off. 

Have we lost no close games?

No its 13 losses by more than 10 and of those 13 losses 7 of them is by more 20. For context during Rex two years only had 1 loss by more than a couple TD's and Marrone only 3. So McD is already double those guys combined. 

15 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

And out they come from under their rocks.

Yeah, let’s fire him!

?

Dont think so. Check my posts. 

16 hours ago, ngbills said:

Record vs Winning Record Teams = 4 - 13 (wins vs 8-7-1 2018 MIN; 9-7 2018 TEN; 10-6 2017 ATL; 10-6 2017 KC)

WINS by 10+ = 5

WINS by 20+ = 3

LOSSES by 10+ = 13

LOSSES by 20+ = 7

Last but not least...

This data supports very well what I said in numerous threads after the loss on Sunday to the Eagles.

When we play bad teams, we find a way to squeak out a close win, for the most part.

When we play good teams, we lose.

For the most part, only good teams play in the playoffs.

Expect this team to qualify for the post-season, thanks to our schedule, face a good team on the road, and lose their first game.

That's our fate, and that's this team's ceiling.

• Like (+1) 1

All of this while inheriting a team he didn't help build in 2017 yet guided to a Wild Card spot. Then Beane tore it down for 2018 and we knew it was going to be a "growing pains" year. They're still building in 2019 and have had some success. This is the most consistent this team has been in a long time in terms of coaches/front office staff, and roster turnover. I'm gonna let these guys work through it because the whole "three years and you're outta here" thing has gotta stop at some point because clearly that has never really worked for them. They're more put together than any coaching/front office staff this team has had in the last 15+ years. They make calculated decisions while always keeping an eye on the big picture and working towards becoming a consistent contender. Not just a team that sneaks into the Wild Card spot once every five years, but a team that can consistently compete. Still have a lot of young players adapting to the NFL game but despite last week's absolutely Earth-shattering, world-destroying, godawful, no good, terrible, bad news loss to the Beagles, I still have faith and am excited for the remainder of the season. 

Although I will say that blowout loss stat is rough. But again, that 2018 offense couldn't get out of its own way and some of those issues seem to be creeping up this season as well. I think they'll find ways to get it fixed and if not, they'll make the changes they need to. But I wouldn't expect any sort of wholesale changes from the top down until the end of next season, if any, because of course games still need to be played. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

All of this while inheriting a team he didn't help build in 2017 yet guided to a Wild Card spot. Then Beane tore it down for 2018 and we knew it was going to be a "growing pains" year. They're still building in 2019 and have had some success. This is the most consistent this team has been in a long time in terms of coaches/front office staff, and roster turnover. I'm gonna let these guys work through it because the whole "three years and you're outta here" thing has gotta stop at some point because clearly that has never really worked for them. They're more put together than any coaching/front office staff this team has had in the last 15+ years. They make calculated decisions while always keeping an eye on the big picture and working towards becoming a consistent contender. Not just a team that sneaks into the Wild Card spot once every five years, but a team that can consistently compete. Still have a lot of young players adapting to the NFL game but despite last week's absolutely Earth-shattering, world-destroying, godawful, no good, terrible, bad news loss to the Beagles, I still have faith and am excited for the remainder of the season. 

Although I will say that blowout loss stat is rough. But again, that 2018 offense couldn't get out of its own way and some of those issues seem to be creeping up this season as well. I think they'll find ways to get it fixed and if not, they'll make the changes they need to. But I wouldn't expect any sort of wholesale changes from the top down until the end of next season, if any, because of course games still need to be played. 

I think it is too early to make a judgement on McD.

However, I do find it interesting that people say he took a bad team that he inherited and guided them into the playoffs. He now gets to build his own team. So if he cant guide his own team that he built into the playoffs is that not a bad thing? How can we call it a success if McD gets the Bills make the playoffs. But at the same time, the last time the Bills made then playoff was with a team many say had zero talent and needed a complete rebuild? That makes no sense. 

16 hours ago, boater said:

He's coached 40 games in his career. 20 were blowout losses. The dude needs a mentor.

Huh? He’s 20-19.  Is there a stat interpretation mentor I can connect you with? 

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is largely summed up by the statement that at the moment he is winning the games he should win. 

FACT

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1