Trade Deadline Woes for da Bills

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills could use some playmakers. I don’t really care about the position either. They need some guys that make things happen with the ball in their hands.

I have a sinking feeling that Beane isn't going to be willing to part with the draft picks necessary to obtain an offensive difference maker that can help them win a playoff game this season. I hope I'm wrong because they really need an upgrade, but there's only one more day left before the deadline. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

I dont understand why we didnt have any motion or jet sweeps against Schwartz' D. Going into the game they talked about it and how vulnerable they are to it. Then McKenzie is inactive and I dont recall seeing that motion all game. Puzzling... I think the weather spooked Dabol and he started panicking. 

And come on, you run the stupid wheel route to DiMarco again??? That will work once a season. No need to keep doing it. 

They did run jet sweep motion and some other pre snap stuff but the Eagles weren't buying it. It's just window dressing anyways. It's what happens after the snap that sucks.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I personally think the "trade deadline woes" will be if the Bills don't make a move before the trade deadline.

Joe B gets this part right IMO:

https://theathletic.com/1328794/2019/10/27/seven-observations-from-the-bills-loss-devin-singletary-needs-more-touches-run-defense-was-exposed-and-more/?source=shared-article

"
The primary responsibility of a one-technique defensive tackle, as a bigger-bodied player, is to occupy blockers when facing double teams. If he’s in a one-on-one matchup, he needs to prioritize holding his ground and beating the block. Lotulelei and Peko have not been good enough in these essential facets of the position. 

"The problem is not an easy fix. The Bills likely won’t find their answer on the roster — and they probably won’t luck into it as they did with Jordan Phillips on the waiver wire last year. The Bills need to look outside the roster to address the issue, which sets the stage for Tuesday’s trade deadline. If the Bills feel like they are in a winning window — which they are — general manager Brandon Beane must be proactive to find a solution from someone else’s roster. The good news for the Bills is that the market for one-technique defensive tackles isn’t a hot one. "

If they can't find someone in trade, there are still options. Maybe better than trading, because opponents won't have tape to evaluate.

I'd go after Gerald Willis III.
He went undrafted, then signed and later released by the Ravens.
Then the Dolphins picked him up and he's on their PS.

Sure you say - undrafted, can't even make the Phins' roster.
But his fall was largely due to off field issues leading to his departure from Florida, and really playing only one full year at Miami (FL) after an MCL tear where he had 59 tackles with 18 tackles for a loss, four sacks and two passes batted.
That was as a 6'1" 302lb DT with limited time.

I think the Bills should give him a shot. We've got the locker room to bring him in to the team concept, and the defensive coaching to get the best from him.
If nothing else, he's a good size dude.

Edited by timekills17

Not sure if this is relevant here but I try to share when I hear things. I was with my buddy that’s a scout for the Falcons Saturday and he said they’ve been trying to trade Beasley for weeks and can’t get anything. It looks like Jay Glazer reported something similar today. Also, there’s no chance that they’d ever consider trading Julio and they are going to cut Trufant in the offseason. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s not a game breaker imo. Regardless, it wouldn’t make them worse to have better playmakers. 

He looks like he could be.  I like to see more of him.  Especially in wind and rain, Gore and Singletary did not get enough carries, not even close.  

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not sure if this is relevant here but I try to share when I hear things. I was with my buddy that’s a scout for the Falcons Saturday and he said they’ve been trying to trade Beasley for weeks and can’t get anything. It looks like Jay Glazer reported something similar today. Also, there’s no chance that they’d ever consider trading Julio and they are going to cut Trufant in the offseason. 

What's Beasley's struggles attributed to?

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What's Beasley's struggles attributed to?

Dunno specifically, but after his one good season (2016), he's been below average and only a part-time starter in 2017 and 2018. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BeasVi00.htm

My guess is that he's regarded as just a generic player.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eee1776 said:

13 Points will never win many game. I though the play calling was like watching a high school game. 3rd and 2 and Josh is on a QB sweep, really.

Also not in love with the designed QB runs. 

Maybe in on the red zone.... but with the fumbling seems like it needs to be limited. 

41 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve seen this out there as well. Vic and Sanu were rumored to be on the block, then Sanu moved. 

Had that one monster year. Otherwise seems a bust. Super fast- was wondering if he needs a different position or role ? 

I love how the original poster just sets the fire and walks away.

If you are gonna start a thread at least stick around. 

Ive said it a million times, people should reply more than post.... especially after losses.

My 0.02

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I have a sinking feeling that Beane isn't going to be willing to part with the draft picks necessary to obtain an offensive difference maker that can help them win a playoff game this season. I hope I'm wrong because they really need an upgrade, but there's only one more day left before the deadline. 

I'm on the fence with this, I want us to either swing big or stay pat, but I still feel like next season would be the move towards the swing big. We need Edge rusher in the worst way possible, a legit #1 playmaking WR, a DT, backup LB, and a RT/LT.

I'm not sure I approach 1st and/or 2nd rds unless you are talking Von MIller, Julio, Khalil Mack type players and then it still leaves us with some big holes. We aren't 1 player away yet and I'm not so sure that trades for 3rd round or later talent is honestly worth aside from backup LB and a 1-tech DT...

New from Joe B 

https://theathletic.com/1330678/2019/10/28/help-on-the-ground-7-run-stopping-targets-for-the-bills-at-the-trade-deadline/

DT Andrew Billings
Team: Cincinnati (0-8)
Contract status: Unrestricted free agent after 2019 season
Potential compensation: Fourth- or fifth-round pick

DT Dalvin Tomlinson
Team: New York Giants (2-6)
Contract Status: Unrestricted free agent after 2020 season
Potential compensation: 4th-5th round pick

DT Mike Purcell
Team: Denver (2-6)
Contract Status: Restricted free agent after 2019 season
Potential compensation: 5th-6th round pick

DT Corey Peters
Team: Arizona (3-4-1)

DT Abry Jones
Team: Jacksonville (4-4)

DT Josh Tupou
Team: Cincinnati (0-8)
Contract Status: Restricted free agent after 2019 season
Potential compensation: 6th-7th round pick

DT Tyeler Davison
Team: Atlanta (1-7)
Contract Status: Unrestricted free agent after 2019 season
Potential compensation: 7th round pick

Edited by Reed83HOF

7 hours ago, H2o said:

Really? You think Josh was the problem yesterday? :doh: What about a defense that couldn't stop a nose bleed? What about an OC who has absolutely 0 situational awareness and calls the dumbest plays at the dumbest of times? What about receivers who decide to run their routes into coverage instead of settling in the soft spots of the zone? What about guys getting two hands on the ball, but dropping it? Yes, clearly that is all on Josh.  

We have a couple of really decent receivers as far as keeping possession goes. Not sure why we would challenge a D line on the ground when they were getting the better of us all game.