Week 8 Bills (-1.5) vs Eagles

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I'm hoping that daboll has some creative looks to attack their secondary.  Look for them to try and take away deep crossers which allen has done a good job with.  I think it'll be a bit more of a dink and dunk type game.  John Brown and beasley need to have a big days for a W here.  

It would be nice if a TE showed up...  

The Eagles game is going to be a true test of where we are as a team.  We have won 5 games, but have struggled and made winning mire difficult.  The Eagles are a team that cannot be taken lightly.   The Bills should not be over confident.

Maybe the Dolphins game was a wake-up call.  I hope to see the team ready to play on Sunday and give a similar effort on defense like we saw vs the Patriots. 

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, colin said:

i was gonna say that jackson doesn't have much less than allen to work with, but then i realized their cast off WR who was a bit of an after thought is easily our best offensive weapon, so i'm not so sure.

The bills are very capable of winning this game or losing this game.  it comes down to how many stupid things the bills do.

the stat about the bills leading the nfl in pre snap penalties, with 24 in 6 games, was a shocker.  that's just not a smart or well executing football team.

Brown was a total stud last year until they switched to Lamar. They've opened up the pass game a little more this year, but last year it was mostly college-type read option run plays. Their pass catchers are not great, especially with their new Brown, Hollywood, not playing. Andrews is good and Brown is a legit deep threat, but the offense is very much a Greg Roman one. Mobile QB with a couple hard-nosed running backs chewing up yards with an occasional bomb. Kinda like we saw with Kap and then Tyrod. 

Anyway, as for the Eagles, I think we match up pretty well. Everyone is feasting on that defense right now and their offense is not clicking. 

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The Ravens are 11-3 when he starts, and he has a QB rating of 89.9 plus nearly 1,300 yards rushing and 8 TDs in 14 games. 

At some point, the preconceived narrative has to shift in the face of actual evidence that cuts against it.

I think Harbaugh has done a very good job (as he always does) with Lamar. Greg Roman was the perfect hire and they are playing to his strengths. He is a gamer. He's not a perfect passer, but he has the ability to sling it and they let him take chances. He may be a running QB, but unlike, say, Tyrod, Lamar isn't conservative with his arm, so you still have to defend the whole field. And he is a slippery runner, so spying him is still a very difficult task. Allen is a good runner, but it is more due to his long strides and big frame. He needs a lane to take off and build steam. Lamar is twitchy like Shady. In short, the Ravens offense is not perfect, but it is confounding and thereby hard to defend. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I thought the measure of the QB was passing?

I'm talking about production from the QB position. As I mentioned earlier, there is no bigger believer in team passer rating as a predictive stat than me, but at the same time when faced with a unicorn like Jackson (who, barring injury, is on pace to rush for 1,316 yards), you have to adjust your perspective to account for rare production that doesn't roll up into the passer rating formula. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm talking about production from the QB position. As I mentioned earlier, there is no bigger believer in team passer rating as a predictive stat than me, but at the same time when faced with a unicorn like Jackson (who, barring injury, is on pace to rush for 1,316 yards), you have to adjust your perspective to account for rare production that doesn't roll up into the passer rating formula. 

Well said.  I suspect some folks here didn't actually watch that Ravens-Seahawks game yesterday - I did, and LJ was dominant.  I don't care what his passing #s were, he was in total command and the Seahawks had no answer for him.  He's far and away the best athlete at the position in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

No he wouldn't, because the Bills would have put up 30 points against a very good team in a very difficult place to play during a rainstorm.  Plus he would have rushed for 116 yards on 14 carries. Maybe some would have criticized him for "not playing like a QB," but that's a very limiting prism through which to evaluate a QB's overall contribution. Please explain your laugh remark too. Do you think Jackson played poorly? Did you watch the game? I did.

Allen played quite well yesterday himself, and really bounced back in the second half after a bad first half. 

IMO Joe is spot on here.  This board would be swarming with folks saying that Allen can't be a long term franchise QB completing less then 50% of his passes no matter how many yards rushing he had. 

Also Bills fans would be pointing out that the Defense scored 14 of those 30 points and that Seattle likely wins if they didn't have two criminally negligent turnovers for TD's.

Now I happen to think that Jackson may in fact work out for Baltimore over the long run.  He may be the convention busting QB of this generation.  I'm being open minded here.  But I have no doubt that Allen would have been crucified on 2BD if he had Jackson's passing & rushing numbers from yesterday.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah? and what do they do after getting smoked like a ham two weeks in a row?

I was going to say the same thing. Isn't one bad loss enough to get pissed over? But I've learned my lesson with the Dolphins. Head down, keep grinding.