Week 8 Bills (-1.5) vs Eagles

YoloinOhio

i was gonna say that jackson doesn't have much less than allen to work with, but then i realized their cast off WR who was a bit of an after thought is easily our best offensive weapon, so i'm not so sure.

The bills are very capable of winning this game or losing this game.  it comes down to how many stupid things the bills do.

the stat about the bills leading the nfl in pre snap penalties, with 24 in 6 games, was a shocker.  that's just not a smart or well executing football team.

3 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

So, on an even playing field, a hobbled 3-4 team that just got destroyed is a point & a half favorite over a healthy 5-1 team.

Okayyyyyyy-

It is when you remember lines are based on money and emotions. I wouldn't be shocked to see it move more to a pickem by Sunday. 

Locker room dysfunction :devil:

From last week:

I’d say it’s not great that Wentz’s teammates have been criticizing him through the media! Far from ideal to be dealing with some potential locker room dysfunction right before a huge game against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday Night Football.

I’d also say it’s not great that Wentz’s teammates aren’t really giving him any damn help on the field this season. He is far from one of this team’s biggest issues right now.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/10/17/20919756/carson-wentz-offense-espn-josina-anderson-report-philadelphia-news-nfl-live-anonymous-player-foles

Edited by YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

If the Eagles play us like they played the Packers it’s going to be tough.  If they play us like they’ve played pretty much every other game this year I would expect us to win.

I think they are a good team but not what they were 2 years ago. Game could go either way - since we are at home I’m optimistic but wouldn’t be surprised if the Bills lost either. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

That's true, and I should have mentioned that. Still, playing against Seattle in Seattle in a rainstorm is not an easy task. 

Seattle's defense aspires one day to be a shell of what it used to be. Ravens defense carried them and they won a big game.. That being said, the Lamar hype is and has been overdone. I am pleasantly surprised by how he has played, and he's more of a threat at QB than I had thought pre-draft. But he has yet to beat a team with a solid Defense. He's gotten beaten pretty bad by good defenses and when a team forces him to throw the ball, he struggles. 

Until Lamar goes against a top defense, and doesn't crumble like he did vs. LA in the playoffs, it'll be hard to buy in. Especially because we've seen so many similar qb's who struggle to stay relevant over time with this style of play.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Seattle's defense aspires one day to be a shell of what it used to be. Ravens defense carried them and they won a big game.. That being said, the Lamar hype is and has been overdone. I am pleasantly surprised by how he has played, and he's more of a threat at QB than I had thought pre-draft. But he has yet to beat a team with a solid Defense. He's gotten beaten pretty bad by good defenses and when a team forces him to throw the ball, he struggles. 

Until Lamar goes against a top defense, and doesn't crumble like he did vs. LA in the playoffs, it'll be hard to buy in. Especially because we've seen so many similar qb's who struggle to stay relevant over time with this style of play.

I agree; he has feasted on bad teams. That said, almost every QB builds up stats against bad teams. Re LA in the playoffs, he did play reasonably well against the Chargers in the 16th week of last season; the Ravens won that game in LA, 22-10.  He's not the next coming, but he's a lot better than I thought he was going to be and is being well-utilized by a very smart coach (Harbaugh). Harbaugh was absolutely right to cut the cord on Flacco. 

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

Eagles are coming in pissed after two straight huge road losses.  This will be a tough one. When NFL teams get blown out they usually come back and play well.  Bills need to be better prepared than yesterday or it’s a big loss. 

Yeah, I feel the same way.  Eagles are to the point now where they will take more chances, go for it on 4th downs etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hoping we got the bye week rust and Miami malaise out of our system now. 

That was a very uninspired, lethargic looking first half.  Glad the coaches and players called themselves out on it as well. 

Have to imagine our defense is going to want to come out strong on Sunday after a poor performance against Miami.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Ertz will not be easy for the Bills to deal with without Milano. They sucked covering the TE yesterday. 

We tried to do more man coverage in this game for whatever reason - maybe something on film dictated doing that against miami.  In zone the onus is on the LBs and hyde to really do a good job taking away ertz opportunities.

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I agree; he has feasted on bad teams. That said, almost every QB builds up stats against bad teams. Re LA in the playoffs, he did play reasonably well against the Chargers in the 16th week of last season; the Ravens won that game in LA, 22-10.  He's not the next coming, but he's a lot better than I thought he was going to be and is being well-utilized by a very smart coach (Harbaugh). Harbaugh was absolutely right to cut the cord on Flacco. 

All this is accurate, I would say. 

I think he's either gonna have to become a legit thrower, or else he will struggle as time goes on. The fact that they're happy with him running around and taking games that way seems to indicate that they prefer to use him, abuse him, and lose him as opposed to turning him into a legit Throwing QB. 

9 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Yeah, I feel the same way.  Eagles are to the point now where they will take more chances, go for it on 4th downs etc. 

I'm hoping that daboll has some creative looks to attack their secondary.  Look for them to try and take away deep crossers which allen has done a good job with.  I think it'll be a bit more of a dink and dunk type game.  John Brown and beasley need to have a big days for a W here.  

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

All this is accurate, I would say. 

I think he's either gonna have to become a legit thrower, or else he will struggle as time goes on. The fact that they're happy with him running around and taking games that way seems to indicate that they prefer to use him, abuse him, and lose him as opposed to turning him into a legit Throwing QB. 

They do a lot of designed runs with LJ, as he's like a free extra blocker - and the RPOs allow simple pre and post snap reads.  The team's he'll struggle with are faster defenses that play zone.  They would need to have a good run defense, but also can run with their speed at receivers and confuse him with different looks etc. 

We would pose an interesting matchup as we do a lot of those things well.  Not afraid to crowd the LOS, we get hands in passing lanes, have some good pass rushers and tackle well. 

• Like (+1) 1