NFL get rid of instant replay

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Mason Rudolph gets his head caved in, no foul.  Lamar Jackson gets tackled personal foul.   Its gotten really bad and hard to watch.

That was some crap. The "penalty" on Jackson was just an atrocious call. Steelers defender form tackled the guy and now that's roughing the passer as well. 

It seems to get worse and worse every year. These morons have such a heavy impact on some games and they're just not getting the calls right. And what the hell's the point of review challenges if that idiot Riveron sticks with the call on the field 95% of the time? Useless. It's making the game hard to enjoy because any time there's a big play my first instinct is to look for a flag instead of cheer. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

That was some crap. The "penalty" on Jackson was just an atrocious call. Steelers defender form tackled the guy and now that's roughing the passer as well. 

It seems to get worse and worse every year. These morons have such a heavy impact on some games and they're just not getting the calls right. And what the hell's the point of review challenges if that idiot Riveron sticks with the call on the field 95% of the time? Useless. It's making the game hard to enjoy because any time there's a big play my first instinct is to look for a flag instead of cheer. 

It's almost like they assume penalties instead of watching with their eyes.   No fun for sure.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I thought the officiating for our game was pretty even. 

I remember there was an actual stretch of the game where 3 flags in a row were questioned by the announcing crew.  All went against Buffalo.   The Milano roughing the passer and Murphy Offside were brutal.

On the flip side, the Lewan hold, was a hold, but I could do without that being called given it had zero effect on a big play.  The Mariota illegal forward pass, I think we got lucky.  He was "probably" an inch or two over the line, but if it was called a TD on the field, it would've stood.  So, for Tennessee, they had two calls, that were correct, but i'd admittedly be annoyed about if I was a Titans fan.

15 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

It seems to get worse and worse every year. These morons have such a heavy impact on some games and they're just not getting the calls right. And what the hell's the point of review challenges if that idiot Riveron sticks with the call on the field 95% of the time? Useless. It's making the game hard to enjoy because any time there's a big play my first instinct is to look for a flag instead of cheer

Wow, that is so true, I do the same thing, just pathetic when you think about!

23 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's the rule. You touch the QB's helmet and it's a foul. Doesn't have to be a bad hit. Doesn't have to be on purpose.

Refs miss it sometimes, but it should be called every time.

This post is spot on! In hockey you are responsible for you stick hitting someone in the face. No, Ifs ,ands or buts its called. You know what? After awhile players get the idea and if not its called.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Officious.

my kindle is not that smart :D

6 hours ago, ColeB said:

That game was really ridiculous.  Michaels and Collinsworth even were commenting “of course there’s another penalty flag”.  In every game I watched Sunday, the former ref analysts pointed out penalties that they wouldn’t have called.

It’s a shame what Goodell and friends have done to the game.  

every game is right. The maddening part is the inconsistency. Dont call the ticky tacky stuff and just get the obvious ones, seems simple to me.

5 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

NFL needs to take away slow motion replay then everyone is seeing everything at the same speed as the refs

the Refs should just make the right calls . If a guy hardly touches a QB helmet with his hand, thats not roughing the passer let that crap go.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

E

Our opponents don’t get as many dubious calls

Sure, they get bad calls and some games we are on the right side of the calls.  Don’t act like it’s even.  It’s not.

do you think Brady’s opponents get equal dubious calls?

i saw plenty of bad calls against the titans and even the pats.

yesterday on their first drive the titans had a run called back on a holding call that was questionable at best and was way after the runner went by. I thought we got lucky there and i would have been pissed If that was us.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

That's the rule. You touch the QB's helmet and it's a foul. Doesn't have to be a bad hit. Doesn't have to be on purpose.

Refs miss it sometimes, but it should be called every time.

no it should not , you should actually have to rough the passer. If you get punched in the head fine , a finger tip no.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I thought the officiating for our game was pretty even. 

I remember there was an actual stretch of the game where 3 flags in a row were questioned by the announcing crew.  All went against Buffalo.   The Milano roughing the passer and Murphy Offside were brutal.

On the flip side, the Lewan hold, was a hold, but I could do without that being called given it had zero effect on a big play.  The Mariota illegal forward pass, I think we got lucky.  He was "probably" an inch or two over the line, but if it was called a TD on the field, it would've stood.  So, for Tennessee, they had two calls, that were correct, but i'd admittedly be annoyed about if I was a Titans fan.

I thought it was even too, mostly crap calls. Refs need to stay out of the game.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i saw plenty of bad calls against the titans and even the pats.

Of course.  There are bad calls that go both ways. I said that.  That’s not the contention.  

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

no it should not , you should actually have to rough the passer. If you get punched in the head fine , a finger tip no.

I never said what the rule SHOULD be. That's just how the rule is. The NFL should change the rule if they think it is a bad rule. As it stands, any contact to a QB's head is illegal.

If the QB established himself as a runner that rule goes away, along with other QB protections.

7 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Mason Rudolph gets his head caved in, no foul.  Lamar Jackson gets tackled personal foul.   Its gotten really bad and hard to watch.

I think the Ravens did get penalized for that play.  It just took a while for them to call it because they had to tend to Rudolph.

4 hours ago, H2o said:

The NFL setting up their new "golden boy" like:

"Have you met my new Mahomey?,"

I thought it was funny last night when early in the game Collinsworth made a comment that, due to injury, the entire Colts D was made up of guys who are just doing their best to understand how to run a very basic zone defense, and how badly he felt for them. Then he started commenting about how Mahomes isn't just the most amazing guy ON the field, but the greatest guy OFF the field.

And then KC loses at home after only scoring 13 points and I'm thinking "It must be hard for these guys to keep up with messaging."

Also, cheers to Reich for a big night.

The game has evolved over time to a point where the games are way too heavily over officiated.

The structure of most rules is much too complex as well, and often rules are structured poorly such that it is difficult to render clear, black and white decisions on the field.

The entire system needs to be stripped down to bare metal and reconstructed.

The first thing I would do is eliminate instant replay.  That would be a great start to reducing the important of rules/infractions in games.

I worked in Nashville from 1999-2002.  Unfortunately was in a sky box for "The Music City Miracle'  The Nashville paper, the Tennessean, [a Gannett paper] is saying the refs screwed the Titans, meanwhile the Rochester D&C, [another Gannett paper]  is commenting how the Titans got most of the calls.

Pleased to see the Bills mafia represent yesterday.