Daboll Monday Presser

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I totally forgot about Roberts as a deep threat.  I always think ST when I think of him.

My biggest question coming off of the NE* game is .... where the hell was McKenzie?  I thought for sure he'd be featured with Singletary out.  

If you look at past scouting reports on Roberts, he has all of the measurables of a good wr...that was some time ago, but I would like to see him in the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's be honest here. Everyone loves the "game plan" and "play calling" when we win and score points. Then they hate those things when they don't work.

But fans usually have no clue what the game plan or play calling philosophy actually is. If a play works? Great call! If it doesn't? What is Daboll doing?! Horrible play call! It's not that simple. Maybe it was a great play call and guys didn't execute, or the defense was ready for it, or Josh missed his read, or the oline gets overwhelmed, etc.

People just don't know what they are talking about.

Honest question: What do people see in Daboll? His record as an OC in the NFL is horrible, but he worked for Belichick and Saban and they both speak highly of him. Tom Brady as well. So there are obviously some qualities that they see in him that make them think he will eventually be a good OC. Can anyone provide feedback as to what his strengths are as an OC?

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Serious question who did you think was available at WR that you wanted them to sign?

not sure,  i didnt look that hard at the free agent wire or really know much about college draft picks. if you think your deficient at a skill position to the point your willing to lose draft picks to take a shot at a cancer like AB then they obvious were not comfortable with the roster. if there was nothing else out there i accept it, but have to think that someone better then zay could have been obtained without loosing much. they certainly know how to dump players in trades but obtaining them is a different story so far.

7 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

not sure,  i didnt look that hard at the free agent wire or really know much about college draft picks. if you think your deficient at a skill position to the point your willing to lose draft picks to take a shot at a cancer like AB then they obvious were not comfortable with the roster. if there was nothing else out there i accept it, but have to think that someone better then zay could have been obtained without loosing much. they certainly know how to dump players in trades but obtaining them is a different story so far.

They did sign two WR and a TE who are better than Zay as well as a return guy/WR.  Brown and Beasley are having a strong impact.  Kroft and his foot have been a  non-factor so far.  Roberts has missed games but contributed to the return game.  I’m sure they don’t want to overload him, but if Foster can’t step up we may start seeing him on the field.

I’m sure they would have liked to add a 5th guy who was 100% WR - but who?  I don’t know.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They did sign two WR and a TE who are better than Zay as well as a return guy/WR.  Brown and Beasley are having a strong impact.  Kroft and his foot have been a  non-factor so far.  Roberts has missed games but contributed to the return game.  I’m sure they don’t want to overload him, but if Foster can’t step up we may start seeing him on the field.

I’m sure they would have liked to add a 5th guy who was 100% WR - but who?  I don’t know.

yeah, i was, like most, hoping zay turned the corner this year so wasnt hunting fa or the draft for his replacement. if fosters out there does allen still overthrow him on sun? does duke make the high catch from barkley and win the game? we may have a better option on the team already! just have to work out kinks but so far between bolden, benjerman, and zay this office is having some difficulty addressing the wr position with quality. might as well use capital to get a proven commodity by paying big in fa or trade if possible because it may be the difference between a deep playoff run or missing it altogether. but if they are seeing the guys advance on the PS squad then i accept that as well.

22 minutes ago, MJS said:

Let's be honest here. Everyone loves the "game plan" and "play calling" when we win and score points. Then they hate those things when they don't work.

But fans usually have no clue what the game plan or play calling philosophy actually is. If a play works? Great call! If it doesn't? What is Daboll doing?! Horrible play call! It's not that simple. Maybe it was a great play call and guys didn't execute, or the defense was ready for it, or Josh missed his read, or the oline gets overwhelmed, etc.

People just don't know what they are talking about.

There’s some truth to this, but it’s also painting with far too broad a brush.  

There are people here who really do know what they are talking about in football.  You can ID some of who they are in the interesting “did you play football?” thread.

There are others here who are self-taught and don’t know as much, but put in a good bit of work, spend time following guys who break down film, and do know something.  

There are some things that are fairly easy to see.  For example, in the first few plays of the Jets game, Daboll used a lot of pre-snap motion and formation change to help Allen identify the coverage.  That was generally called-out as a good game plan for a young QB.  In the first few plays of the NE game, Daboll used no pre-snap motion nor formation change.  The formations were pretty straightforward telegraphing what the team would try to do.   It was a pass play, it was a run play, it was a pass play.  Meanwhile the Pats were using a lot of motion just before the snap.  I don’t think it’s rocket science to see that some of the tools that were helpful to Allen in the Jets game weren’t being used initially against the Pats.

Then you’re correct, there are things that without knowledge of the actual game plan, it’s hard to place responsibility.

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...certainly will NOT offer excuses....Dr Chandler 81's post about the concussion possibly occurring much earlier is interesting.......the kid with his size, agility and arm sometimes plays with his heart before his head.....Daboll, Palmer & Dorsey will have to tame the "lion hearted"......but I could see an "adrenaline amp up" at home versus Brady and his gaudy 30-3 record vs Bflo.....

The "early concussion" theory is an interesting, and certainly possible, but in my reaction to Dr. Chandler's post, made the point that not every knock on the head results in a concussion, not even every hard knock on the head.  It leads one to ponder why symptoms would show up in his passing, and not in his command of the huddle.  You'd think if he exhibited any confusion, or anything else, somebody would have picked up on it and mad sure he got looked at.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I totally forgot about Roberts as a deep threat.  I always think ST when I think of him.

My biggest question coming off of the NE* game is .... where the hell was McKenzie?  I thought for sure he'd be featured with Singletary out.  

I asked the same question about McKenzie during the game.

9 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

DO NOT GET ALL CONSERVATIVE. I don’t want a Team to Babysit my QB. I want to know my QB is an asset not a liability. If you have to babysit then you need a new QB. 

Thats not what I think he means.  I said the whole first half they need to get Knox and Yeldon involved to give Josh some safety valves and start getting a rhythm.  Daboll called a terrible first half and then in the second half he did exactly what we were screaming to do in the first half and poof we scored a TD.  

Daboll needs to remember that we have 8 new players on offense to go with a second year QB who doesn’t even have a full seasons worth of games played yet.  He’s got to put Josh in positions to find his rhythm before they start trying to push the ball down the field so much.  Give him more options under neath.  

8 hours ago, eball said:

I heard some insightful comments from Charlie Weis earlier this week when discussing how to bring along a young QB.  He wasn't talking about Josh Allen but he said when you have a young QB you don't try to have him do everything.  You look at what he does well and is comfortable with and you start there.  You add little pieces bit by bit but you don't overwhelm the guy.  He said that's what they did with Brady.  When Brady first took over they were a dink and dunk offense because that's what Brady did well.  It wasn't until later that they developed the deep ball with him.

Making your young QB comfortable isn't "babysitting" -- it's giving him a solid base from which to develop.  Josh has now had the equivalent of one season's worth of starting experience.  I don't think they're going to tell him "don't run" or "don't try to make a play" -- but they need to drive it into his head that he's got to TAKE CARE OF THE FOOTBALL and take care of his body.

Thank you for this post.

John Brown has stated that this is the most complex offense he has been involved with!  Considering this, now go back and look at how Matt Barkley played coming in for Allen...sacked, intercepted, delay of game, 2 false starts. QB rate of 56.0 all in less then a quarter of football.

Its looks to me like Daboll wants everyone to see how he runs that Patriots playbook regardless of who his QB is behind center. Yes, the offense looks like a mess with the play calls being late causing the offense to take time outs or when they run out of time outs they take a delay of game. Players not being best utilized. Why not more Dawson Knox in the pass game. Why not run Frank Gore more often from the start against the Patriots.  

All this reminds me of how Rex Ryan ran his defense despite the fact that the player personnel on the roster was not a fit for his scheme. 

I also think that this OC does not know how to properly develop a young player. Going back to the fact that the team thought Nathan Peterman should start the 2018 season I have to question his overall offensive knowledge. The difference between Daboll and Hackett, one has the Patriots playbook...

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Logic said:

I just want someone to ask Daboll why Robert Foster, with whom Josh Allen had a 127 QB rating last year when the two connected -- has only gotten 2 targets thus far this season whilst Zay Jones continues to ***** himself on national TV.

It just takes these guys way too long to properly evaluate talent (or lack thereof). Case in point Peterman and now Zay?  How long before they realize Ford is a guard?  Josh is one guy we all knew would take a long time to evaluate. 

9 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

As I was reading the Buff News this week, I was surprised to note the Bills were 4th in offense in the AFC.  It seems things could be worse, they certainly have been in the past. 

In yards or something maybe. But we're 23rd in points, which is what really counts.

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

In yards or something maybe. But we're 23rd in points, which is what really counts.

Yeah - 10 turnovers in 4 games... tied with bengals, and giants... and just ahead of the dolphins and redskins.  

The rams have 11 but have played 5 games.  And its a major reason they are 3-2.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

no I am not. Give him the playbook. Guess why? 1. Need to find out if he is the answer. 2. With an Elite Defense that we have even with TOs we will always be in the game. 

I don’t want to see my QB Babied. Put him in the fire (as they are) and he learns or Bills learn he isn’t the guy. 

No, I think you should listen to this guy first:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/qbs-need-four-years-says-polian-1.3672661

“You have to try and give him an offense that’s capable of, A) protecting him and B) taking some of the load off him,” Polian said. “If you look at Peyton’s career, every rookie quarterback struggles. And quarterbacks are not complete until after about their fourth year. In their first year, they’re simply flummoxed by the speed of the game and the complexity of it. They just barely survive. After an offseason, they begin to learn what the game’s always about. In the second year, they learn what the defense is trying to do to them. In the third year, they learn what they can do to the defense.

“And in the fourth year, they’re capable now of being able to control an offense to manipulate a defense -- if they have the wherewithal, obviously, to do that. That’s the progression. And it doesn’t matter whether it’s Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or someone else. They all go through that progression.”

I'd say this is about where Josh is and we all hope he takes a step forward after getting schooled by Belichick.  I question that full fire is the best approach for him because he'll simply revert back to hero ball like last Sunday.  It's his base mentality and it needs to change, that is very difficult considering his immense talent and I think it'll take far longer with your approach than if our coaches carefully structure the game plan to help Josh develop as quickly as possible.  Josh needs development, help him develop so it happens more quickly.   

For example, limit the playbook if it helps him go through his reads or recognize pre-snap pressure or weaknesses in the defense more quickly.  Then you can open things up progressively.

At this point in his young career, we've seen his talent and ability to pull it together late in games.  I'd argue we need to guide his growth to consistency and proper mentality of managing the game.  Whether he can truly manipulate the defense won't come until next year at best anyways, ie. we won't know for sure he's "the guy" until then.

..is it just me in my senior moment , feeble mind, but does Daboll seem inconsistent as hell?.......many said they expected McKenzie to have a bigger role with Singeltary out....nope....after he gets by his 15 scripted plays, it just seems to me (OPINION) that he slow to adjust to what the D is giving him and utilizing personnel available to counter or then change it up....Allen tries to take over with his "heart trumping his head"......you know the rest...

On 10/3/2019 at 12:05 PM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

nothing wrong with doing it while he is developing. I think you're being a little extreme here.

Yep.

When you have a great defense and the strength of your offensive line is opening holes for the run, when you have three TE's and a full back that excel at run blocking there is no reason not to play to your strengths.

Josh will learn at the pace he learns, no reason to have him drink from the fire hose for this team to win games. Last time I checked it was L's and W's that counted, not style points.

• Like (+1) 2