Sign in to follow this  
Virgil

A Few Thoughts About the *Pats game, in no particular order

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The biggest problem I have today is on a day where Zay failed to make a single play, WTF was McKittrick?  No jet sweeps, no passes to McKittrick, but passes to dropsy Zay, where he couldn't even be bothered to play defensive back at all.  We needed McKittrick in the worst way today.  We just didn't have enough playmakers on offense.

This isn't a surprise.

1 minute ago, Fixxxer said:

it's kind of worrisome that he keeps making the same mistake over and over.

And over and over and over.  That's truly worrisome, especially since he's supposedly had so much coaching and mentoring since he's been here.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think the first few years of Josh's career you have to look at him differently than any other QB. He's going to make mistakes. He had a bad game today for sure. He made numerous mistakes. But stats are worthless when evaluating him. He needs to make plays and win games right now, not have no turnovers or QB ratings. I would have loved to see him in the game in the last four minutes. 

How many years do McBeane have before Josh arrives?  Not trying to be smart, but asking the question.  Everything in the NFL is about winning yesterday.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tiffany980 said:

Allen is the issue... Even with the special team gaffe, it was Allen that cost you the game.

Yes, we know...thanks.  Allen will eventually learn; he's the type of player that will take this kind of performance personally.  Josh knows he sucked and the defense played spectacularly and he let the team down; that will weigh on him.  I'm not concerned at this point.

Just now, NoSaint said:

The back foot throws worry me a lot. It’s entirely too frequent and at this level relearning basics like that can be a challenge. He’s had some work out but in a tight game early you can’t do it. Save it for down 6 with 30 seconds to go, and hope you can pull a rabbit out of the hat that only a few others can. 

It is Quincy Carter/Aaron Brooks-level stupidity.  He’s going to run out of chances if he keeps it up.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes @Virgil, he did play against a great D. Thst said. I didnt record and would love to know who the targets were on all of those ints. I have to wonder if a taller receiver would have been able to fight more for the ball.

Nice write-up.

I'm actually cool with the first INT.  The other two were bad.  Seemed avoidable.   

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

How many years do McBeane have before Josh arrives?  Not trying to be smart, but asking the question.  Everything in the NFL is about winning yesterday.  

We were 3-0 and it's uncertain if he came back if we would have been 4-0. That was kind of my point. 

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

Which, that Zay sucks or Daboll didn't play McKittrick?

That the offense lacks playmakers.... I've been screaming this since McBeane came here and decided to not resign/trade them away and replace them with below average players.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Yes @Virgil, he did play against a great D. Thst said. I didnt record and would love to know who the targets were on all of those ints. I have to wonder if a taller receiver would have been able to fight more for the ball.

2 were deep throws, one was 20 yards down field into triple coverage.  

One was to Brown, can’t remember the other.  

4 minutes ago, stony said:

Nice write-up.

I'm actually cool with the first INT.  The other two were bad.  Seemed avoidable.   

Like against the Bengals, this one pissed me off the most.  They only had one safety, which is where we throw the pass too.  

I just don’t get it 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

It is Quincy Carter/Aaron Brooks-level stupidity.  He’s going to run out of chances if he keeps it up.

Its hand in hand with the long running “accuracy” issues. At its core it’s a polished fundamentals issue. 

It reminds me of watching a lot of cam. That guy loves throwing back foot, or falling away. Or across his body across the field. Or.... but when he hits a couple of those and churns some first downs with his feet and otherwise plays decent ball- you see an mvp candidate. When he misses those though, and he’s beat up from running it can get ugly.

josh has all the potential in the world but some major red flags that’ll be a challenge to overcome. All you can do is cheer for him.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That the offense lacks playmakers.... I've been screaming this since McBeane came here and decided to not resign/trade them away and replace them with below average players.

A true #1 WR with brown at 2 and beasley 3 would’ve been such a big score if they could’ve found a way to make it happen.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Its hand in hand with the long running “accuracy” issues. At its core it’s a polished fundamentals issue. 

It reminds me of watching a lot of cam. That guy loves throwing back foot, or falling away. Or across his body across the field. Or.... but when he hits a couple of those and churns some first downs with his feet and otherwise plays decent ball- you see an mvp candidate. When he misses those though, and he’s beat up from running it can get ugly.

josh has all the potential in the world but some major red flags that’ll be a challenge to overcome. All you can do is cheer for him.

A true #1 WR with brown at 2 and beasley 3 would’ve been such a big score if they could’ve found a way to make it happen.

Yep.

Perhaps they can swing a trade for AJ Green still.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Yep.

Perhaps they can swing a trade for AJ Green still.

I’d rather have Diggs

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think the first few years of Josh's career you have to look at him differently than any other QB. He's going to make mistakes. He had a bad game today for sure. He made numerous mistakes. But stats are worthless when evaluating him. He needs to make plays and win games right now, not have no turnovers or QB ratings. I would have loved to see him in the game in the last four minutes. 

The first few years are the best chance to load up and go for it when his contract is light . I really want Josh to be the guy but you can’t ignore how bad he was today and the fact his mistakes aren’t going down or away.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Virgil said:

I’d rather have Diggs

Or Diggs. I'd take either honestly. Need someone else outside.

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

2 were deep throws, one was 20 yards down field into triple coverage.  

One was to Brown, can’t remember the other.  

Like against the Bengals, this one pissed me off the most.  They only had one safety, which is where we throw the pass too.  

I just don’t get it 

My son in law is a Pats fan. I was chatting with his dad after the game. I personally have not seen a Pats game before today. He claimed they keep getting passes into that coverage. The tripple coverage thst is. He said he doesnt understand what QBs are seeing but they are not seing the coverage

Edited by fansince88

Just now, corta765 said:

The first few years are the best chance to load up and go for it when his contract is light . I really want Josh to be the guy but you can’t ignore how bad he was today and the fact his mistakes aren’t going down or away.

And that’s why you get him an over the top best in league supporting cast this year and next year. 

As as he matures and his pay goes up he loses a weapon or two but hopefully it balances out 

1. In a game where the defense played so well it is hard to criticize, but there is no pass rush. That will hurt us at some point.  Murphy is an absolute bust and waste of money.  Terrible signing by Beane.  Lawson should be starting. Hughes' play has dropped off.  He is still getting some pressure but is not winning many one on one battles.  Oliver was a no show today

2. Knox is the best talent they have had at TE in years.  There is no reason he should not be getting the majority of snaps at TE.  Most TEs can't block worth anything anymore.  I don't care about blocking in the run game.  Knox is a weapon and Smith is an absolute liability.

3. I was right - they should have kept Mills.  Nsekhe is horrible.  He has always been a journeymen and I said so in the off-season.  I really liked the Ford pick but it's obvious he does not have the feet to play OT in the NFL.  Mills was not very good but he was better than these two.

4. Dawkins - he has regressed even more so than last year.  He and Zay are looking worse with every passing week.  

5. Zay - this guy just can't play.  He never makes the great play.  It's time to let him go.  He had the chance to break up at least one of those interceptions if not both.  If he wasn;t drafted by this regime he would not have made the roster.  

6. The refs were ok in this game.  They missed a couple calls but they called a decent game.  So tired of all the posters saying the refs benefit certain teams.  This team has had problems with penalties every year under McD and it's not getting any better.  I really don't know if a guy tries to pick a player but doesn't actually make contact if that is a penalty.  They spotted the ball correctly on that dumb challenge by McD.  They missed a facemask on the final drive before the half and I think they missed a guy jumping over the LOS on the FG attempt.  But most of the calls against the Bills were accurate.  

7. Barkley looked terrible.  I thought he would be better and if they did not get points in the first half I was advocating for him to start the second half. 

8.  I think sitting Josh for a series or two was the right move. He has to learn to protect the ball and if that means embarrassing him on national TV by getting benched so what.  He was the QB I wanted but he is not getting better.  Everyone hated TT because of his lack of clutch play well now we have the opposite.  Throwing off his back foot and not throwing the ball away should be correctable things.  As much as I like the kid, he was as bad as Peterman in San Diego. 

9. Special teams - again I told you so.  The coach means nothing. It's all the players.  Crossman is gone and they are worse.  Terrible blocking, another bad penalty for a block in the back.  Roberts is nice but that is the player not the scheme.  

• Thanks! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yes, we know...thanks.  Allen will eventually learn; he's the type of player that will take this kind of performance personally.  Josh knows he sucked and the defense played spectacularly and he let the team down; that will weigh on him.  I'm not concerned at this point.

Yeah, you said the same about Rob Johnson, Fitz, Losman, EJ, and Tyrod... 

• Like (+1) 1

Sign in to follow this