Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Maybe, maybe not. Confidence is a fragile thing, especially for NFL QBs. Coming into the season Josh had it in spades. Sunday vs. Pats was the first time where it looked to me like maybe he thought he couldn't do it. Now you want to put him in against one of the best defenses in the league coming off a concussion and with less than the usual time to prepare (due to said concussion)? That sounds like a recipe for another poor performance. 

Also, and this is perhaps a secondary consideration, but Barkley's best attribute is making quick decisions and getting the ball out which is exactly what we need vs. Titans' D.

In the second half ( right up until the cheap shot that took him out ) I think Josh Allen looked to me like he absolutely thought he could bring his team back. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Maybe, maybe not. Confidence is a fragile thing, especially for NFL QBs. Coming into the season Josh had it in spades. Sunday vs. Pats was the first time where it looked to me like maybe he thought he couldn't do it. Now you want to put him in against one of the best defenses in the league coming off a concussion and with less than the usual time to prepare (due to said concussion)? That sounds like a recipe for another poor performance. 

Also, and this is perhaps a secondary consideration, but Barkley's best attribute is making quick decisions and getting the ball out which is exactly what we need vs. Titans' D.

People are giving the Titans D say too much credit. The one thing they're good at is not allowing TDs in the red zone. Josh gives the Bills the best chance to score down there.

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

The confidence thing is a two way street. If you sit him in favor of Barkley, what does that do to his confidence if he is healthy? QB's are going to have bad games. Allen will have more bad games in the future. Everything we have heard about Allen is that he can forget and move on to the next play. I think if he didnt get hurt, chances were good he brings the Bills back at the end. Chances are really high he would have gotten 6 on 3rd and goal when Barkley couldnt do it. 

Just now, VW82 said:

He wasn't suggesting that, nor was I. He just meant that even if Josh clears McD will likely leave it as a game time decision and force Tenn to have to prepare for both, which given the difference in styles is actually a big advantage for us. 

Not really if Webb comes up it's Barkley if not Allen.

4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

First half, maybe. 

Second half, he looked like he could do it and wanted to do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Who? 

the schedule - Tennessee, BYE then Miami ??? 

Tennessee is around 15th on overall ranked defense.  Miami one of the worst.  

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

John Murphy says he thinks it is stage 2 or 3 after reading through the stages (equates Indiv drills to light aerobic exercise) but said he doesn’t know. 

we just don't know what goes on in the dark recesses of OBD.   

so John wouldn't really know unless he lives there.  

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

John Murphy says he thinks it is stage 2 or 3 after reading through the stages (equates Indiv drills to light aerobic exercise) but said he doesn’t know. 

John Murphy doesn't seem to know much

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

He wasn't suggesting that, nor was I. He just meant that even if Josh clears McD will likely leave it as a game time decision and force Tenn to have to prepare for both, which given the difference in styles is actually a big advantage for us. 

Exactly, the team can always make the decision to play or not play someone even if the protocol has been met.

21 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

My guess is that any status we hear about Josh Allen's concussion progress or lack thereof is all BS.

If I'm McDermott, I'm making the Titans prepare for both Josh Allen and Matt Barkley. Their two games are completely different.

This is actually a significant advantage for us.

Coaches, by league rule, are not allowed to comment on the status of the player in concussion protocol. Also, the player is not to made available to reporters. So it's not BS.

And I don't think that it's a significant advantage to not be sure who the starter is. It's probably not as complicated as people think. It's not like we change the playbook.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Coaches, by league rule, are not allowed to comment on the status of the player in concussion protocol. Also, the player is not to made available to reporters. So it's not BS.

And I don't think that it's a significant advantage to not be sure who the starter is. It's probably not as complicated as people think. It's not like we change the playbook.

The difference is your defense has to play a lot different if Allen plays vs Barkley. Most teams keep a spy on Allen and won’t against Barkley so it does make a significant difference.