Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

They have what they needed. Just not long ago many didn't want Shady. I highly doubt he would produce in this offense. KC is the fit for him he was done here.

I don't care what "many" want.  I didn't want it.  We need RB depth. We had it but cut Shady to keep Yeldon who McDermott is afraid to let carry the football.  So we only had one on Sunday even though our run blocking was working well.

Shady was done here because we cut him.  The man can obviously still ball.  I'm getting tired of KC taking the guys we don't want and winning a lot with them.  

35 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

The difference is your defense has to play a lot different if Allen plays vs Barkley. Most teams keep a spy on Allen and won’t against Barkley so it does make a significant difference.

Other than that, it's the same playbook. I agree there is a difference, just don't see it being that big of one as far as planning goes. Add a couple things, maybe take out a couple...

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I don't care what "many" want.  I didn't want it.  We need RB depth. We had it but cut Shady to keep Yeldon who McDermott is afraid to let carry the football.  So we only had one on Sunday even though our run blocking was working well.

Shady was done here because we cut him.  The man can obviously still ball.  I'm getting tired of KC taking the guys we don't want and winning a lot with them.  

He can ball in KC where they are not worried about the run. 

The Bills, teams try to stop the run first.

Mahomes is a huge reason why Shady is good this year.

Edited by Boca BIlls
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, klos63 said:

Other than that, it's the same playbook. I agree there is a difference, just don't see it being that big of one as far as planning goes. Add a couple things, maybe take out a couple...

Agreed it’s the same playbook, but you will probably use it differently based upon the QB’s strengths and weaknesses.

36 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

The difference is your defense has to play a lot different if Allen plays vs Barkley. Most teams keep a spy on Allen and won’t against Barkley so it does make a significant difference.

That's one thing. Significant or not, it doesn't dramatically change how they'll prepare this week. Instead of spying, they go into coverage or rush....or something else. That's all.

27 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I don't play Allen this week regardless.  Barkley can beat the Titians, so give Allen the bye week to rest and more fully recover from the concussion.

No, he probably can't... People don't realize he is a backup for a reason. He isn't good.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fair enough. They are 4th in the league in points allowed defensively, if I'm not mistaken. That's huge. As it is, our offense has shown that they can move the ball up and down the field, but have trouble cashing in in the red zone. I agree that having Allen would give them great help in that regard, given the threat that he presents with his legs. Though, to be honest, it'd be nice to see him have a great and complete game AS A PASSER instead of taking brutal hits every week in order to score. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll take touchdowns any way I can get them, but...after seeing what happened to Allen on Sunday, I'm not exactly eager to watch him diving for 1st downs again.

Me neither. He needs to save the hero stuff for the 4th quarter if it's actually needed. Besides his legs, his red zone throwing shouldn't be underestimated. He can throw on the run and rocket balls into tight windows, which is crucial in the red zone.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ta111 said:

Agreed it’s the same playbook, but you will probably use it differently based upon the QB’s strengths and weaknesses.

I agree, i just don't think it's that big a deal. Probably just a handful of plays. They're not changing their base defense. Might just change strategy. But probably not, gonna blitz either QB a lot because it's probably good strategy. Prepare for Allen since he's more to deal with and a few adjustments for Barkley.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Well, as bad a day as Allen had, it wasn’t the ultimate difference in the game. It was a shame he didn’t have an opportunity to finish the game because his 4th quarter stats this year are among the best in the league. 

Also, as much as I dislike his decision making on those INTs and the sacks he took, I’m more concerned about his not taking what the D was giving him. Part of that is on Daboll, but it’s mostly on Allen. If there is a glimmer of a silver lining in that regard, he came out in the second half and started doing exactly that. 

This

1 hour ago, MDH said:

Obviously the punt block was a huge difference, but that happened in the 1st quarter. The team had ample opportunity to overcome that mistake and failed to do so.

A offense putting up 10 points isn't going to win often in this league. An offense that turns the ball over 4 times isn't going to win often in this league. It's not impossible (See: Jets) but it's a statistical anomaly. 

Josh took sacks on 3 different third downs that either put the Bills out of FG range or made the FG attempt more difficult. To me, these are bigger plays than the INTs in terms of the Bills winning or losing. The first one I wasn't egregious, he got blitzed and they got to him fast. Yeah, a QB is supposed to read the blitz, know where his outlet is and get rid of it but he's young, THIS is a young QBs mistake. The other two were just horrendous. He sat back in the pocket for 5-6 seconds and still took a sack. These decisions led directly to 3-6 points being taken off the board. This is fundamental stuff, stuff a college QB knows not to do. There are simply no excuses for it.

As for scoring from inside the 10, you have to ask yourself, would Allen have had the Bills inside the 10 to begin with? To get down there Barkley threw a deep pass to Brown to convert a 3rd down. That was the first deep pass that came within 5 yards of a Bills WR all game. Maybe Josh gets them down there, maybe he doesn't. Maybe Josh and his clutch gene get the ball into the end zone in the 4th quarter, maybe he doesn't. Elway didn't complete every 4th quarter comeback, just because a QB has that ability doesn't mean it happens every time.

What I do know is that Allen was horrible on Sunday. Everything else is just speculation.

I don't get why people can't just say Allen was horrible, he was a huge reason the Bills lost (there is never a single reason, it's a team game) and still think he can be the franchise guy for the Bills moving forward. These aren't mutually exclusive ideas but it seems fans or so sensitive to the QB position that they fear giving an inch when someone questions their QB.

I don't know why "people" think that saying Allen wasn't THE reason for the loss is somehow excusing a bad game. The ideas aren't mutually exclusive, but it seems that some fans are so sensitive to the QB issue that they feel the need to place the blame solely on his shoulders.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

No, he probably can't... People don't realize he is a backup for a reason. He isn't good.

It's really amazing how people totally ignore his entire career except for 1 game against the Jets last year. Maybe he's a different QB now, if so , great. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s not considered “rushing” if he’s cleared by an independent neurologist 

I've done a lot of independent research into concussions and protocols as part of a safety committee for another sport.  The protocols are not conservative enough.  I approach concussions much more conservatively than many of my colleagues.  I'm more concerned with JA's long-term health than a short-term game this week.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I agree, i just don't think it's that big a deal. Probably just a handful of plays. They're not changing their base defense. Might just change strategy. But probably not, gonna blitz either QB a lot because it's probably good strategy. Prepare for Allen since he's more to deal with and a few adjustments for Barkley.

Interesting take. I’m thinking Vrabel blitzes on a high % of plays because Belichick did and the Bills had trouble handling it. Won’t have to focus on taking away escape lanes if Allen doesn’t go. I think the O has their work cut out here. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Interesting take. I’m thinking Vrabel blitzes on a high % of plays because Belichick did and the Bills had trouble handling it. Won’t have to focus on taking away escape lanes if Allen doesn’t go. I think the O has their work cut out here. 

I agree with regards to the blitzing. Imperative we run well and often.  Avoid 3rd and longs... but that's always the case.

Edited by klos63

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I've done a lot of independent research into concussions and protocols as part of a safety committee for another sport.  The protocols are not conservative enough.  I approach concussions much more conservatively than many of my colleagues.  I'm more concerned with JA's long-term health than a short-term game this week.

If they want to do a better job eliminating them, I think they should adopt the college targeting rule. 

If Josh is cleared by the INC, he'll be fine. No reason to hold him out. Good luck trying to convince him to be conservative, lol

Just talking about injuries, gutted when Allen got the concussion but did anyone else think an injury to this guy was just a matter of time?

I was worried about an ACL or some s*** when he was getting brought down on the line of scrimmage. Ok so I'm a worrier ??

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, klos63 said:

I agree with regards to the blitzing. Imperative we run well and often.  Avoid 3rd and longs... but that's always the case.

For sure, a solid rushing game will keep them in 3rd and reasonable. Can’t get behind the sticks. A healthy Singletary could really help. 

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

If they want to do a better job eliminating them, I think they should adopt the college targeting rule. 

If Josh is cleared by the INC, he'll be fine. No reason to hold him out. Good luck trying to convince him to be conservative, lol

Couldn’t agree more. Targeting rule would make cheap shot artists think twice. A penalty or fine is big, but not a big enough deterrent.There isn’t much gray area about intent in targeting, it either is or it isn’t.