Bills Mafia article from The Ringer

Kelly the Dog

8 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

When me and my cohort were young and physically fit, it made it much easier to imbibe at a very high level, drinking and smoking ganja was just a way of life back in the day. Luckily we as a group we didn’t draw much attention to ourselves, we had a motto back then, “don’t leave tracks”  we did slip up now and then,  got thrown out of a piggly wiggly for telling dirty jokes to the other shoppers I think it may have been the mushrooms, it was a long time ago....?  Anyway,  I am far better behaved nowadays... ?

GoBills!!!

You guys sound a lot like my group of friends. Basically, we just never got caught because even though we  were degenerates we were competent. And very few things are better than cruising a grocery store while shrooming---well from what I remember anyway.

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

I may be wrong, but I suspect the folks drinking from bowling balls and slamming tables are probably not the same ones writing checks to charitable causes... 

I bet you are wrong. Of course many who contribute aren't in the group, but you make the mistake of judging a book by its cover, I think.

10 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

some of you need to lighten up. WOW.

No kidding!  If the word "mafia" bothers you, you are giving too much power to the word.  And you aren't really giving the power to the word (if you really understood what "mafia" actually means),  you are giving power to an interpretation of the word that was warped by criminals. So silly, really. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Lurker said:

“if you love the team, you’re part of it.”

Nope.   While I have no animosity toward this element of the Bills fan base, it is by no means representative.   More like the LAMP's posted here on TSW...

Agreed.  Nothing at all against Pinto Ron, but I never would have even heard of him had in not been for fan message boards.  I still have never seen him or the Pinto, and I have no inclination to drink out of a bowling ball.  I still love the Bills and I have been a fan now for half a century.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

Agreed.  Nothing at all against Pinto Ron, but I never would have even heard of him had in not been for fan message boards.  I still have never seen him or the Pinto, and I have no inclination to drink out of a bowling ball.  I still love the Bills and I have been a fan now for half a century.

It has to be extremely impressive to you, regardless of the shenanigans, that this guy has gone to every game, home and away, for about 25 years. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/26/2019 at 10:37 AM, aceman_16 said:

I think it is all in good fun. I have never participated in the Shanagans - I have donated to various causes and various CURRENT players' causes as well. The Bills' fan base is generally caring.

...of course it is.....but the literal, politically correct minions twist it......IMMEDIATE jump is to "Godfather" murderous Italian mentality...SMH......here's ANOTHER Webster's definition that fits....and the "closed group" reference obviously means Bills fans.....how 'effin sad........

..."a closed group of people in a particular field, having a controlling influence ".....

• Like (+1) 1

That was AWESOME!!!

I've never attended one of those higher profile tailgates, but been to enough home games to know how special it is.

Honestly a big part of the reason I tend to fly 6,000 miles to see my family in Rochester during my Fall Public School recess is to get to a Bills game. Unfortunately, this year that lines up with a road game against the Titans and our bye week. :doh:

PS: I love Stevie Johnson. I think he coulda been really good with the right QB, OC, and mindset. Gotta love his continued embrace of Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel like the “bills mafia” is now just the nickname for the Bills diehards. I think at first it was more about the people doing the things that end up on barstool. But those people only represent a very small portion of the fan base. I want to watch and comprehend the game. I’m not saying I don’t drink on Sundays, but I want to be cognizant of what is happening. To each their own and power to those who want a game day experience of table breaking and excessive alcohol. I’m not embarrassed about it, it’s just not me. I like the name “Bills Mafia” and I think there is a sense of pride behind it. I think it’s more about being a hyper passionate fan base and a team that is part of the community of fans. 

• Like (+1) 2

I have always felt the name Bills Mafia was silly, and it doesn’t represent me or my family.

If you are fine with Bills Mafia, would you also be fine with

Bills Criminals

Bills Drug Dealers

Bills Extortionists 

Bills Pimps

Bills Murderers

Bills Dirty Politicians

Bills Cop Bribers

etc?

I admit that I’m a mild and lazy guy, but I just don’t like the connotation. 

50 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I have always felt the name Bills Mafia was silly, and it doesn’t represent me or my family.

Bills Criminals

Bills Drug Dealers

Bills Extortionists 

Bills Pimps

Bills Murderers

Bills Dirty Politicians

Bills Cop Bribers

etc?

You certainly can decide to accept the socially negative definition of "mafia", rather than one of the positive/neutral definitions to the term you have already probably read about in this thread. That is your right. 

But I find it interesting that a sports fan would bristle at being associated with others simply due to what they perceive as a socially negative word. I'm not sure how someone like that could ever associate with/root for a team with the name of Raiders, Pirates or Buccaneers. I assume you could never root for the Buffalo Bandits. After all, they are bandits!

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, The Dean said:

You certainly can decide to accept the socially negative definition of "mafia", rather than one of the positive/neutral definitions to the term you have already probably read about in this thread. That is your right. 

But I find it interesting that a sports fan would bristle at being associated with others simply due to what they perceive as a socially negative word. I'm not sure how someone like that could ever associate with/root for a team with the name of Raiders, Pirates or Buccaneers. I assume you could never root for the Buffalo Bandits. After all, they are bandits!

Yes to this. Pirates/buccaneers are basically mafias on the high seas. They are the epitome of organized crime.

30 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I am not as upset as that post sounds. I just think it’s silly. “I’m tough, don’t mess with me” is just not a message that I would use to describe myself. I’m just a wimpy retired guy. Heck, you could argue that the Browns’ Dog Pound is making fun if poorly trained dogs. I think political correctness can be taken much too far. 

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

Bills Criminals

Bills Drug Dealers

Bills Extortionists 

Bills Pimps

Bills Murderers

Bills Dirty Politicians

Bills Cop Bribers

etc?

...my Uncle Nunzio should be pulling in your driveway shortly.......he drives a black stretch limo.................

• Haha (+1) 2

Great article.  Brought my younger son to the Lot and he met Ken (I work with his daughter) and the whole crew.  We had a great time but when I went to take a picture with Ken covered in ketchup and mustard, my son (after watching the ceremony) kind of freaked out...but his daughter and I coaxed him into the picture.  

Such good people and such a great time.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2019 at 8:28 PM, TigerJ said:

? I think a lot of older fans - I’m almost with you in that half century club - feel the same way. Watch to old Tim Russert clip about Bills fandom back on the old War Memorial days. Hibachis in the bleachers, flasks being passed around in the freezing wind. Hardcore, but not idiotcore. I like that Bills fans continue to have the hardcore rep, but I’d just as soon see the idiotic antics die out. 

The author exaggerates to try to make points and to take digs at Bills:

• Dating back to 2000, they’ve employed 10 different head coaches—one of whom infamously up and left the team for a job as the Jaguars offensive line coach—and had 25 quarterbacks throw at least one regular-season pass. The list of signal-calling luminaries includes such names as Alex Van Pelt, J.P. Losman, and everyone’s favorite would-be (but wasn’t) robo QB Rob Johnson.
  • Marrone did not leave team to be Jaguars OL coach - he left because he had a guaranteed payout (sounds like a number of players) and was expecting to be signed due to advice of agent as head coach for another team. Marrone interviewed with the New York Jets for their head coaching position; his interview reportedly did not go well but that fact was left out by author to try to make point stronger but made it weaker.

The author should post here pretending to be Bills fan like others and would fit right in.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The author exaggerates to try to make points and to take digs at Bills:

• Dating back to 2000, they’ve employed 10 different head coaches—one of whom infamously up and left the team for a job as the Jaguars offensive line coach—and had 25 quarterbacks throw at least one regular-season pass. The list of signal-calling luminaries includes such names as Alex Van Pelt, J.P. Losman, and everyone’s favorite would-be (but wasn’t) robo QB Rob Johnson.
  • Marrone did not leave team to be Jaguars OL coach - he left because he had a guaranteed payout (sounds like a number of players) and was expecting to be signed due to advice of agent as head coach for another team. Marrone interviewed with the New York Jets for their head coaching position; his interview reportedly did not go well but that fact was left out by author to try to make point stronger but made it weaker.

The author should post here pretending to be Bills fan like others and would fit right in.

Killjoy. ;)

I can't stand this Bills mafia nonsense. Hate the table *****. Makes fans of the team look low class. These people don't represent me and I suspect if people are honest they are embarrassed to be associated with the whole thing.

That's why I'm in favor of a smaller stadium and higher ticket prices.  Even then I'm sitting club level home or away.

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I can't stand this Bills mafia nonsense. Hate the table *****. Makes fans of the team look low class. These people don't represent me and I suspect if people are honest they are embarrassed to be associated with the whole thing.

That's why I'm in favor of a smaller stadium and higher ticket prices.  Even then I'm sitting club level home or away.

While nobody should try to deny you of your opinion, just understand Bills Mafia does not equal table smashing and drunken debauchery.  As has been pointed out on many occasions already, the Pinto party preceded the Bills Mafia label (and table smashing) by many, many years.   So you say you don't consider yourself a member of the Bills Mafia because you aren't a fan of the antics of the crazed few. In the minds of many Bills fans, and fans of other teams, Bills Mafia means you are a Bills fan---period.  I like to disassociate myself from the idiocy of some of my relatives. But I still accept my last name--and to most that identifies me as a member of my family: Some weirdos and some terrific folks.

Also, if you refuse the Bills Mafia moniker, are you disassociate yourself from the charitable work done in the name of the Bills Mafia.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

While nobody should try to deny you of your opinion, just understand Bills Mafia does not equal table smashing and drunken debauchery.  As has been pointed out on many occasions already, the Pinto party preceded the Bills Mafia label (and table smashing) by many, many years.   So you say you don't consider yourself a member of the Bills Mafia because you aren't a fan of the antics of the crazed few. In the minds of many Bills fans, and fans of other teams, Bills Mafia means you are a Bills fan---period.  I like to disassociate myself from the idiocy of some of my relatives. But I still accept my last name--and to most that identifies me as a member of my family: Some weirdos and some terrific folks.

Also, if you refuse the Bills Mafia moniker, are you disassociate yourself from the charitable work done in the name of the Bills Mafia.

In the minds of many Bills fans we are just Bills fans. Love our team. Born in Tonawanda in 1970. Followed them since 1979. Attended countless games traveling from to and from all parts of the country.

I watched as a grandchild and I intend to watch them as a grandparent.

We don’t need to be thought of as drunken idiots jumping through tables. 

Stay classy my friend

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

In the minds of many Bills fans we are just Bills fans. Love our team. Born in Tonawanda in 1970. Followed them since 1979. Attended countless games traveling from to and from all parts of the country.

I watched as a grandchild and I intend to watch them as a grandparent.

We don’t need to be thought of as drunken idiots jumping through tables. 

Stay classy my friend

OK, so you didn't bother to read my post. That's fine. Here's another you ignore.

For the record, I was born before the Bills were founded and am a lifelong fan. Also, I would never jump through tables, or engage in any of those stunts. While I have no problem with raucous tailgating and a bit of pre-game lubrication, I believe the extreme drunken behavior of many of these fans needs to be controlled a bit. Many of those fans probably call themselves part of the Buffalo Mafia. I bet virtually ALL of those fans (barring visitors) call themselves "Buffalo Bills Fans". Admitting you are a Bills fan puts you, once again, into the same group those drunks are in. Sorry to break it to you.

With that said, I'm still a Bills fan, and therefore, a PROUD Buffalo Bills Fan and a PROUD member of the Buffalo Mafia.   

• Thank you (+1) 1