Rational Thoughts 24 Hours-ish Later (Bengals)

corta765

46 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Jet sweep to McKenzie was largely effective. Jet sweep to Knox needs a different name, like street sweeper, or if you're an opposing corner, "oh HELL no."

Just run the the Knox sweep at Gilmore once!
Ah heck, twice.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The jet sweep worked all but once. On top of that, it makes the play action ten times more effective because it worked so well. I legitimately do not understand everyone’s problem with it. 

I have a problem with the situation it was used in - third and short in a critical situation.  That’s just not the time to do it and it’s the kind of crap that Mike Mularkey used to pull.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I have a problem with the situation it was used in - third and short in a critical situation.  That’s just not the time to do it and it’s the kind of crap that Mike Mularkey used to pull.

One call. I agree, that wasn't the time, but really only because we moved the ball so well. He didn't need to be clever there.  That isn't a reason to even slow down on the jet sweep though. 

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

One call. I agree, that wasn't the time, but really only because we moved the ball so well. He didn't need to be clever there.  That isn't a reason to even slow down on the jet sweep though. 

I agree.  My concern is situational football and I also have a slight worry that Daboll is showing off with some of these calls in an effort to get HC interviews in the offseason.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jletha said:

My wild card guess is that we run a lot more no-huddle than we have been. We have seen it a bit, especially late in this past game when we needed a score. My sneaking suspicion is that Daboll wanted to keep it under wraps but broke it out cause we needed a score. We will bring it out against the Pats since there is very little tape on it but they have probably been running it a lot in practice.

Just a guess.

My guess is we see more of two things:

1. Frank Gore and Allen running up the middle - New England seems to be favoring a defense where they only use 1 or 2 true linemen at a time and just flood the field with linebackers and DBs. Even when offenses go spread, New England is stacking the line with these guys because their DBs are good enough that they can all be on islands. So the adjustment to me (and the zig to Daboll's zag) is to narrow the field instead of spreading it the way we have. If they're going to stack the box anyways, but do it with relatively small defenders, we should put more size on the field and try to push them around and let Gore do his thing. If Kroft is available, I think we see a lot of 3 TE sets.

2. More bunch formations and screens - basically just to try to muddy the waters and make it more difficult for New England to jam receivers at the line. Screens might work against New England's stacking of the box, specifically bubble screens.

• Like (+1) 2

I really don't think our defense was that bad outside 2 drives and Cincinnati was in 4 minute offense mode

Josh gift wrapped them the ball on like our 25 for a TD

Dalton is good and looked absolutely lost for the first half and part of the 3rd.. then they started max protecting and he made some throws and I think it took a few drives to fully adjust

The sweeps and misdirection runs where what has been the bengals nemisis so far this year and the bills were getting good positive yards from I’m fine with it good game planning 

bad game time management there at the end of the half as scenes of Jauron came to mind as I watched them play a bit reserved to make sure cinci did not get the ball back and then said oh we might be able to score.

secind week in a row third quarter seemed a mid but the injuries on the line seemed to be an issue as the bengals were getting to allen

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I really don't think our defense was that bad outside 2 drives and Cincinnati was in 4 minute offense mode

Josh gift wrapped them the ball on like our 25 for a TD

Dalton is good and looked absolutely lost for the first half and part of the 3rd.. then they started max protecting and he made some throws and I think it took a few drives to fully adjust

Out defense was better than not bad. It was very good. Cincy had one serious drive in 60 minutes. People who expect you to be able to stop an NFL offense for 60 minutes are deluded.

We still have some work to do in the redzone, for sure, but the defense won us this game. No question. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Out defense was better than not bad. It was very good. Cincy had one serious drive in 60 minutes. People who expect you to be able to stop an NFL offense for 60 minutes are deluded.

We still have some work to do in the redzone, for sure, but the defense won us this game. No question. 

That was my point 

They had 1-2 drives all game. The defense was stout 

OP said our D was frazzled by play action and I didn't really see it.. Dalton was gonna make a few throws eventually

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That was my point 

OP said our D was frazzled by play action and I didn't really see it.. Dalton was gonna make a few throws eventually

Yep. The defense played well. They had 1 first down in a half. They gave up one proper drive in the whole game. To an offense that had been putting up yards. We won this game because of defense. 

It was the offensive execution that was the worst all year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

Yep and they will lose to the Top 5 teams if they do. But for their worst game they still put up 21 and I have to believe they will be far sharper

..they have to be.......we need that "killer instinct".....60 minutes of football....we are far from being in the position for a 3rd quarter snooze fest(a/k/a Dopey Dickie Jauron Ball) nor any offensive cutesies......we are still very young, feature an offense with Allen & Dawkins as the only returning starters, now experiencing injury bug (Phillips, Feliciano, Singeltary, etc)......although Allen has remarkably risen to the challenge of 4th quarter comebacks in LESS THAN a full season of starts, this gets worrisome if he is to be our long term franchise QB answer.....

I will say this...

I don't like how slow they are to get to the line sometimes.  In the first game against the Jets, this didn't seem to happen and they ran quite a bit of motion...but the last two weeks they seemed to be a bit slower getting plays in and there was more than one rushed snap that just got off in time.  Might have contributed to Josh not seeing the whole field.

#6 makes me very sad. Get well, sir! 

52 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That was my point 

I remember looking at the scoreboard at one point, and I believe we were up 18-2 in first downs. That’s domination, it just didn’t show up enough on the scoreboard. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

The one time we got stuffed on it was in our "dreaded" 3rd quarter on a 3rd down that led to a punt.  I think down and time left a bad taste in everyone's mouth about the jet sweeps.

Wholly true. They worked, what, three times out of four? Four out of five if you count the forward one to McKenzie? Five out of six if you count Knox? 

That said, the one that didn't I don't mind people complaining about because it was gimmicky and more so, third and one. If you have Josh and Gore, you should not get too fancy in a close game IMO. And yes, we would have said great call if it worked, but it didn't. That was not the time to call it.

• Like (+1) 1

I been thinking too.  I also love where we are (3-0) and feel good about the season going forward.  I recognize that there are rough edges, especially on offense.  I expect that Josh Allen is going to continue to be a work in progress.;  Particularly when the blocking breaks down, there will be times when he thinks he sees a chance to make a big play, but it's not really there.  Hopefully, they will gradually become less frequent until they don't even happen every game, and eventually they are a rarity.  I am impressed with Frank Gore and disappointed with Yeldin.  I can see why he's third string when Singletary is healthy.  I don't know that the defense is going to ever be best in the league this season, but they are pretty solid just the same.  It's going to be a bit of a challenge replacing Harrison Phillips as I don't think his replacement is on the practice squad.  Checking the available free agents; two that the Bills might have an interest in are Mike Pennel, a big run stuffer who coincidentally last played for New England, and Willie Henry, a lighter, more athletic guy released at the end of August by Baltimore.

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

6. Harrison Phillips has been tremendous at batting passes and altering the pocket. His growth is noticeable and he should be a great partner for Oliver long term.

Nice jinx, dude.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

#6 makes me very sad. Get well, sir! 

I remember looking at the scoreboard at one point, and I believe we were up 18-2 in first downs. That’s domination, it just didn’t show up enough on the scoreboard. 

This was my take as well. I felt happy when we sealed the win but later on I was kind of down thinking "we dominated that game and barely won".

A bills win normally keeps me riding high for a few days but they snuck away with one. 

I'm curious, is how it feels to expect a win and barely get it?  To be happy we won but upset it wasn't by a bigger margin?  I'm not sure I know how to feel.