Rational Thoughts 24 Hours-ish Later (Bengals)

corta765

I did this two weeks ago after the Jets game. Game day I can’t think rationally but next day after is a healthy reflection point. Here are my thoughts:

1. 3-0 is 3-0 regardless of how dirty or ugly. The goal with the first three games was 3-0 and they did it. They have a big test Sunday and the Titans are no joke but worst case scenario Buffalo is 3-2 opening up a three game home stand while 2-2 in conference. That still gives you a sizeable chance to make the dance. 

2. This was the worst game they played all year as a team. Even element of the team had its issue. On offense fumbles and Allen’s ball control, the defense got frazzled by play action, Dabol got far too cute in the 3rd quarter, and in general the team in the second half lightened up on the peddle. I don’t know if they read too much of their own headlines or had the Pats on their mind but the entire team had its hipcups. That said they deserve credit for not being rattled when they went down 17-14 and the entire team making the plays to win.

3. We Live and Die By His Arm. Allen has certainly established a new floor for what to expect from him. This was his worst game of the three yet I still found myself crediting Allen for getting the W. We have to accept that the bonehead Hero plays will never leave completely because the positives he makes when he is trying to make a play out weigh the bad. The Giants game showed I think a strong game by Josh where he can maintain from the  show risky plays and just dominate. I am fine with this being his new floor as long as the better games out weigh the ones like this. He has yet to have a game like Minnesota or Miami last year where he is the best player period which has me excited because it’s comjng.

4. Daboll overall has been good. I hated the focus on jet sweeps yesterday, it’s a gadget play not one we should do regularly. But I feel he has done a great job keeping defenses on their toes with formations and personal and really having a solid feel for what areas of a defense he can attack with the offense.

5. Is it me or has Ed Oliver been quiet? Perhaps it is hype in preseason or just that DTs aren’t always present but I feel maybe I expected more plays. The Jets game he was quite noticeable but since then I think he’s been an afterthought. He hasn’t been bad but I wonder if he is going through some early rookie adjustment.

6. Harrison Phillips has been tremendous at batting passes and altering the pocket. His growth is noticeable and he should be a great partner for Oliver long term.

7. The Offense is close to hitting over 30 pts plus. The offense is a work in progress but you can see the potential. In every game Buffalo has left points on the table for various reasons. If it was the end of the season it would be a real concern but right now compared to last year it seems like more of an offense finding it’s way. I expect we will have less penalties and turnovers that stop points and Josh will hit the downfield receiver more regularly.

8. Felicano is an important cog to on the offesnevie line. His absence was noticeable and I hope he is back for the Pats.

Go bills!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

7. The Offense is close to hitting over 30 pts plus. The offense is a work in progress but you can see the potential. In every game Buffalo has left points on the table for various reasons. If it was the end of the season it would be a real concern but right now compared to last year it seems like more of an offense finding it’s way. I expect we will have less penalties and turnovers that stop points and Josh will hit the downfield receiver more regularly.

This is the biggest thing. That game yesterday should've been at least 21-0, maybe 24-0 at the half. 

Cannot leave points on the field against Brady and Belichick

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

This is the biggest thing. That game yesterday should've been at least 21-0, maybe 24-0 at the half. 

Yep and they will lose to the Top 5 teams if they do. But for their worst game they still put up 21 and I have to believe they will be far sharper

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, corta765 said:

Yep and they will lose to the Top 5 teams if they do. But for their worst game they still put up 21 and I have to believe they will be far sharper

For sure. 28-31 should be enough, with our D, to beat the Pats**. Just comes down to, can we finish those drives with points, against a better quality defense.

I'm not worried about our defense this week.

I hate seeing hero ball fail....but i accept it because of how many more times we see it work.

We are close to being a very good offense. It does feel like something is missing. A big time WR to throw up 50/50 balls? A healthy Singletary become a 3 down back?

Just bigger plays? 

10 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

while vastly improved, the line has weaknesses and the injury to Feliciano was significant. This will make it tough for Allen to stand in the pocket for long pass plays.  They are a tough line and can do some nice things, but still need improvement.

• Like (+1) 3

I think the jet sweeps are entirely because Singeltary was out and they didnt want to rely solely on Yeldon to replace those touches.  While it will continue to be used ~2 times a game I dont think we see as many as we did this week.

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I think the jet sweeps are entirely because Singeltary was out and they didnt want to rely solely on Yeldon to replace those touches.  While it will continue to be used ~2 times a game I dont think we see as many as we did this week.

I know that every game is viewed as must-win in the NFL, but I feel like Daboll knows Bellichek well enough to Shift his playbook next week. The playbook was missing a few pages this week for more reasons than just Singletary 

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Like (+1) 1

This team is 3-0 and has yet to play a complete game. 

Our opponents record is 1-8

Bottom line is that it is not very clear how good this team is. This weeks game will give a much better gauge. Regardless, you need to win games you are supposed to win and sneak in a few you are not. 

Path to 11-5?

Easy:

Win 2 vs MIA (5)

Win at home v NYJ, DEN, WAS (8)

Doable:

Win on road v TEN, CLE, PIT (11)

Can lose:

Lose 2 v NE (2)

Lose at home to PHI, BAL (4)

Lose on road to DAL (5)

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think it can be overstated how much better this Offense really is from last year. Where we've struggled seems to be the areas that are "normal" for an adjustment period when you have what amounts to 9 new starters going through the off season together. I for one am happy with it and expect to see the growth continue. I think the Offense gets better as the year goes on, and I think Allen has consistently improved since his return from injury and that he will continue to do so... That being said, if all goes well, this team may actually be peaking in the back half of the season, which is great to think about. 

• Like (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I know that every game is viewed as must-win in the NFL, but I feel like Daboll knows Bellichek well enough to Shift his playbook next week. The playbook was missing a few pages this week for more reasons than just Singletary 

I think any shift in the playbook will be to exploit our strengths vs their weaknesses, that's the logical approach to any game. It should be interesting, hope Singletary is available.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I hate seeing hero ball fail....but i accept it because of how many more times we see it work.

We are close to being a very good offense. It does feel like something is missing. A big time WR to throw up 50/50 balls? A healthy Singletary become a 3 down back?

Just bigger plays? 

Please god no. "Big Time" WRs are such a waste.  Whats missing is putting together 4 straight quarters. Defenses make adjustments in the 2nd half and we dont react quickly. Then Josh tends to get a little too much in his head; leaving the pocket, not trusting the line, etc.

I think its mostly playcalling adjustments which translates to Josh's confidence.

8 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I think any shift in the playbook will be to exploit our strengths vs their weaknesses, that's the logical approach to any game. It should be interesting, hope Singletary is available.

My wild card guess is that we run a lot more no-huddle than we have been. We have seen it a bit, especially late in this past game when we needed a score. My sneaking suspicion is that Daboll wanted to keep it under wraps but broke it out cause we needed a score. We will bring it out against the Pats since there is very little tape on it but they have probably been running it a lot in practice.

Just a guess.

20 minutes ago, jletha said:

My wild card guess is that we run a lot more no-huddle than we have been. We have seen it a bit, especially late in this past game when we needed a score. My sneaking suspicion is that Daboll wanted to keep it under wraps but broke it out cause we needed a score. We will bring it out against the Pats since there is very little tape on it but they have probably been running it a lot in practice.

Just a guess.

I've been wondering the same as to whether we'll see something new. I wonder if we'll take more deep shots, but no huddle is a good guess too.

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

4. Daboll overall has been good. I hated the focus on jet sweeps yesterday, it’s a gadget play not one we should do regularly. But I feel he has done a great job keeping defenses on their toes with formations and personal and really having a solid feel for what areas of a defense he can attack with the offense.

I think the Jet sweep will be and should be continue to be a staple in this offense. Stretching the defense horizontally is a must in today's NFL and opens up the entire field. 

41 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The jet sweep worked all but once. On top of that, it makes the play action ten times more effective because it worked so well. I legitimately do not understand everyone’s problem with it. 

The one time we got stuffed on it was in our "dreaded" 3rd quarter on a 3rd down that led to a punt.  I think down and time left a bad taste in everyone's mouth about the jet sweeps.