Rational Thoughts 24 Hours-ish Later (Bengals)

corta765

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This was my take as well. I felt happy when we sealed the win but later on I was kind of down thinking "we dominated that game and barely won".

A bills win normally keeps me riding high for a few days but they snuck away with one. 

I'm curious, is how it feels to expect a win and barely get it?  To be happy we won but upset it wasn't by a bigger margin?  I'm not sure I know how to feel. 

I am now watching the recording of the game. It looks a little different.....since I get replays and I have not been drinking since sunrise. But it’s still a little frustrating. Regardless, we ARE 3-0, and we have shown a ton of talent and some good coaching. We haven’t put it all together yet, but what better time to do that than week 4???

3 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The jet sweep worked all but once. On top of that, it makes the play action ten times more effective because it worked so well. I legitimately do not understand everyone’s problem with it. 

Yes, but the one where it didn't was on 3rd and 1.  Silly to run that there.  Just give it to Gore and put your best big bodies on the line.  Easy 1st down.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Out defense was better than not bad. It was very good. Cincy had one serious drive in 60 minutes. People who expect you to be able to stop an NFL offense for 60 minutes are deluded.

Do you consider Miami to have an NFL offense, because I think they can be stopped for 60 minutes.   ?

10 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

I think the jet sweeps are entirely because Singeltary was out and they didnt want to rely solely on Yeldon to replace those touches.  While it will continue to be used ~2 times a game I dont think we see as many as we did this week.

The Bengals had also shown an inability to stop them if I recall correctly.

9 hours ago, DCOrange said:

My guess is we see more of two things:

1. Frank Gore and Allen running up the middle - New England seems to be favoring a defense where they only use 1 or 2 true linemen at a time and just flood the field with linebackers and DBs. Even when offenses go spread, New England is stacking the line with these guys because their DBs are good enough that they can all be on islands. So the adjustment to me (and the zig to Daboll's zag) is to narrow the field instead of spreading it the way we have. If they're going to stack the box anyways, but do it with relatively small defenders, we should put more size on the field and try to push them around and let Gore do his thing. If Kroft is available, I think we see a lot of 3 TE sets.

2. More bunch formations and screens - basically just to try to muddy the waters and make it more difficult for New England to jam receivers at the line. Screens might work against New England's stacking of the box, specifically bubble screens.

I think when we got ahead we tested some things that we are planning to employ against NE.

One of the things that makes this offense so complex is that it basically has a new playbook every game.  We may do some of the same things but they may be out of different formations or rather a little tweak to the formation.  We are likely to see them do many things they havent done yet.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

1 hour ago, jabu said:

Do you consider Miami to have an NFL offense, because I think they can be stopped for 60 minutes.   ?

Ha. No. I said at the start if last year that Alabama and Clemson would compete with bottom feeding NFL teams and was roundly turned on because at the time the Bills looked like bottom feeders. I always said it wasn't about the Bills it was the wider point. 

If you don't think Alabama would give this Dolphins team a genuine game I don't know what to tell you. Miami has almost no genuine NFL talent and Alabama is stocked full of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We should have had at least 10 more points then we did....possibly 14 more points

Yeldon fumbling that ball within FG range (or possibly scoring a TD sucked)

Allen put that ball on TE's in the end zone.....twice....both of the throws catchable for TDs

Not quite true the Knox one was not in the endzone. But it would have set us up with good field position at the 5. 

15 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The jet sweep worked all but once. On top of that, it makes the play action ten times more effective because it worked so well. I legitimately do not understand everyone’s problem with it. 

Just one bad fail--someone missed a block on that play. If he makes 2 yards on that play, it's a non-issue. I agree, it gives makes the Defense think about.

16 hours ago, corta765 said:

4. Daboll overall has been good. I hated the focus on jet sweeps yesterday, it’s a gadget play not one we should do regularly. But I feel he has done a great job keeping defenses on their toes with formations and personal and really having a solid feel for what areas of a defense he can attack with the offense.

The Jet sweeps were the direct result of the Bengals weakness.  They struggled mightily to have edge contain and maybe you remember their ILB - Preston Brown - when he was always to slow to the outside rush game.

To me this is a great sign from Daboll- he recognized the Bengals weakness and put together a plan to attack it even without their best stretch RB in Motor.

Against the Giants - they struggled against Play Action - he attacked with a bunch of Play Action after using Zero against the Jets.

The Jets weakness was the CBs and they attacked the Jets with a ton of passing to the edges early.

I do not care what anyone says about the offense - I think Daboll and that staff have done a great job of recognizing weakness and exploiting it and therefore teams cannot just expect a singular offensive focus.  It also means that we are running different plays week to week which is why some of the execution falters, but they will get better as the year goes on.

Preston Brown talked about multiple times that things they saw on film in weeks 1 and 2 ended up being misdirection in this game and it took a while to adjust.  Hence the ability to move early and then teams adjust during the half and Daboll adjusts again in the 4th. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

The Jet sweeps were the direct result of the Bengals weakness.  They struggled mightily to have edge contain and maybe you remember their ILB - Preston Brown - when he was always to slow to the outside rush game.

To me this is a great sign from Daboll- he recognized the Bengals weakness and put together a plan to attack it even without their best stretch RB in Motor.

Against the Giants - they struggled against Play Action - he attacked with a bunch of Play Action after using Zero against the Jets.

The Jets weakness was the CBs and they attacked the Jets with a ton of passing to the edges early.

I’ve said overall I love what Daboll has been doing and the offense is lightyears ahead of last year’s disaster. Yards per game their up to 8th in the league which is kinda stunning.

i just didn’t like that when they had success smashing the ball in the middle and when Allen has shown success at mid range passes and play action, the play of choice is a sweep which starts yards back.

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That was my point 

They had 1-2 drives all game. The defense was stout 

OP said our D was frazzled by play action and I didn't really see it.. Dalton was gonna make a few throws eventually

For basically three straight drives the Bills defense couldn’t read Cincy because of the play action. They seemed off footed a bit and it’s the first time all year a team has had consecutive times worth of success vs the defense which is a minor concern. I’m sure the defense themselves didn’t like the fact that Cincy has 3 straight drives were they put up 17 pts and 164 yards after holding them up until that point. Had Buffalo not gotten a TD and only a FG, Cincy has the game tied. They got beat a little and that’s ok no team is perfect.

21 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Basically, the third down reverse.  Modern day offense uses jet motion.  With a fast player it stretches the defense horizontally forces communication, and split second decisions by defenders.