Week 4: Pats (-7) @ Bills!!

dubs

10 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I worry most about the pats* RB's catching passes all day.

Surprised I've only seen this mentioned once - while I agree with the other posts regarding the pass rush, one thing we've all seen from the Pats all too many times are the screens and delayed checks to the flats utilizing every single RB on their roster. Cover1 has been beating this dead horse since the end of last season, but one of Edmund's biggest criticisms is he isn't great at shedding blocks to cover RB screens/throws to the flats, or plays to the boundary. Of course, in the scheme of his entire game coupled with his age I have nothing but upside on him and his future with us, but this is to Edmund's what accuracy was/is for Josh. If we can minimize the chunk plays and 1st downs the screen/flat game has given the Pats in our previous matchups - I think we'll see a more even-keeled game. Belly will test our LB core with this in conjunction with short spacing routes to attempt to slow their reads on the screen/flat plays (a la Mixon chunk play from yesterday). 

9 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I think that the problem for Buffalo is the matchup of WRs vs secondary. 

Gilmore will probably draw Smoke and is capable of limiting him significantly. That likely means that Beasley draws a bracket inside and Zay/Foster/Slick draw 1-1s.

If the Bills want to score consistent points against NE, they're going to have to hit big plays to their backs and TEs early and often and force NE to adjust.

Gotta second the love for this analysis as well. If I may offer a counter to this however - I too think Belly matches Gilmore to Smoke in man coverage most of this game, and considering the Pats play a week-to-week defensive scheme, I'd like to see us balance mesh concepts (maybe even some Hank with Knox) with spacing landmark curls/crosses and outs for zone beaters, early and often. There are ways to stretch their secondary, but none of this matters if we can't 1) provide consistent pass protection to let 10-15+ yard concepts develop, and 2) NFL 101: establish a run game.

To the first, assuming Feliciano is out this week, I won't expect much from our right side - I mentioned this in a response in another thread, but if it's known to us as an issue, it's known to the Belly. My completely speculative guess is he will likely be planning to generate most of the pass rush with 4 man rushes to avoid sacrificing an extra guy in coverage. Perhaps moving Bennett/Winovich to the left side with offset rushes/stunts, and likely with Van Noy/Hightower either providing delayed rush pressure/spying on Josh to contain his running. Heck, I'm not sold on our left side with Dawkins either - a safety blitz or two could be dialed up against him off the edge. Unless we can execute the second point and establish a run game to open up more passing concepts, those short throw spread options will likely be our bread and butter early on for moving the ball and converting 1st downs.

To the second point, PLEASE let Singletary be available. I don't mean this as a knock on Gore in the slightest, but man, what having a power/finesse back combo does to a defense scheming pass coverage/pass rush along with a big yet mobile QB. While clearly less effective in pass pro this past week, I hope our OL can continue it's run blocking successes (likely in Feliciano's absence). Ford has been less of a glaring outlier in the run game in comparison to his pass pro, so I hope we can use him and Morse in more of the pin and peel runs that helped us in week's 1 and 2. The ability to demand a defense to respect the interior and outside runs will take all the more pressure off of Allen to create the opportunities needed to win, and hopefully alleviate our OL concerns at the same time.

There's always something to add/counter to every analysis, but I like the attitude this team has internally developed. Being home dogs feeds into it and as long as they play within themselves and don't bite the penalty bug with the overhype (always gotta account for the Brady-ref factor), this will be a great game to watch.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

So what I should lick the guy’s boot because he’s wealthy?  Typical Ryan L Bilz blue collar hero worship.  I don’t care what his deal is, he’s not very informed about sports.  He’s just the guy at the end of the bar.  Idolizing people because they’re rich is the kind of thing that gets idiots and lunatics elected to high office.

Is that a better attempt at a dis?

Nope and LoL at bringing the real president into this too ???

Portnoy racks up the W’s and sits front row for all of the sports.   He’s better at everything than you but hey you tried ??

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Portnoy racks up the W’s and sits front row for all of the sports.   He’s better at everything than you but hey you tried ??

Lol what are you his ball boy?  Such a pathetic display of internet sucking up, even for you.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Lol what are you his ball boy?  Such a pathetic display of internet sucking up, even for you.

He’s entertaining, you’re not.     

He’s a millionaire.   You’re not 

Maybe you can ask him for a few bucks at the game this weekend.   It might make you less angry and judgemental ?

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I don't know this guy from Adam, but sitting in the front row is the worst place to be for most sports, unless your only goal is to be seen.  

8 minutes ago, the skycap said:

No James Develin on Sunday!! This is a big blow to Pats run game. Beware of the two back set with James White leaking out the backfield 

It really isn't.  The Patriots are going to pass 50 times.  Half will go to RB's.  I fear this will be a horrible matchup

7 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

It really isn't.  The Patriots are going to pass 50 times.  Half will go to RB's.  I fear this will be a horrible matchup

You can watch the Pats games vs McDermott and Fraiser’s D from last year and see what kind of matchup it will be . The personnel is basically the same at least on our end. Their offense scored 18 at New Era and 24 in Foxborough.

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

You can watch the Pats games vs McDermott and Fraiser’s D from last year and see what kind of matchup it will be . The personnel is basically the same at least on our end. Their offense scored 18 at New Era and 24 in Foxborough.

The defense in that MNF game was really impressive. They played out of their minds for about 3.5 quarters. There were about 30 other qb’s in the nfl that could have taken us to a victory that night. One was sitting on our sideline with a bum elbow. 

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

The defense in that MNF game was really impressive. They played out of their minds for about 3.5 quarters. There were about 30 other qb’s in the nfl that could have taken us to a victory that night. One was sitting on our sideline with a bum elbow. 

It was so excruciating 

I think NE wins...something like 27-6......I don't think there's that much of a gap in talent per say ( although their D is staked ).....it's more, IMO having Belichick getting a plan together to get to... and confuse Josh.....I see him digging in the archives and use a Defensive approach similar to what he used to do when playing a young Big Ben....I think he's going to try to bring the hammer down on our 2nd year QB...they already have 13 sacks and 6 picks.....McD better use some max protection early and often....we might catch them by surprise.... 

14 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

I think NE wins...something like 27-6......I don't think there's that much of a gap in talent per say ( although their D is staked ).....it's more, IMO having Belichick getting a plan together to get to... and confuse Josh.....I see him digging in the archives and use a Defensive approach similar to what he used to do when playing a young Big Ben....I think he's going to try to bring the hammer down on our 2nd year QB...they already have 13 sacks and 6 picks.....McD better use some max protection early and often....we might catch them by surprise.... 

How confident are you on that scoreline? I got a bunch on this game already and I’m in the mood rn. Let me know

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

I said hoops :P

I don’t read I just respond lololol

• Haha (+1) 1