Bills weakness is becoming a trend in QTRs 2nd & 3rd

Reed83HOF

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

It's not just this week, I have watched all of the games and yes Allen struggled in the 3rd; the entire offense did. he also faced pressure all game including the 4th when he made some crazy plays. In the 3rd it seems like Allen is slower to get the ball out...Allen is the QB, makes the play calls and can audible based on what he sees, so a lot of it is on him...

Against the Jets he had two drives. One started at the 2 and Gore was stoped in the endzone for a safety. The other was a 50 yard drive and a field goal.  Against the Giants, he had three drives filled with really bad offensive line play and offensive penalties. Today he had three drives, the 1st he didn't attempt a pass and the other two he literally had very little time to throw and his receivers were getting absolutely no separation. I agree, they have struggled in the third all three games. I just don't think a lot of it was on Allen.

9 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Josh is going to need to develop a sense of urgency in the middle portions of the game. He can't coast on a lead or rely on a defense. 

or always make a 4th qtr comeback!!!

8 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I dont think he coasted.  The Bills got really conservative after they went up by 14.  Josh made mistakes but he gave everything he had on each play.

Also, Yeldon fumbled deep in Bengals territory!

Is it possible that McD has been a bit conservative in these games, both with blitzes and play calling, so that he puts as little as possible on tape for our 4th game?  

If so we're damn lucky.  If not... then coach game planning and adjustments may be the weakest link on this team.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Trogdor said:

A lot of guys come from smaller programs. There were a few NFL players that he played with and thats more than a lot of programs. I don't think playing at Wyoming is a valid excuse for who he is. They wanted a Favre type player and they got one, and I think that we can like with that as long as their are more highs than low. The fumbles have me more worried than anything. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree then in part then.  I don’t think a lot of people understand how different Allen’s path to the pros was and how much his development differed from the usual big school QB’s.  I was actually just comparing him to Rosen, Mayfield, and Darnold there specifically.

I’m in total agreement with your statement about the Favre type they definitely got in JA.  That’s a great comparison and the fumbles worry me the most too right now.  He holds that ball out way too much.  We can be confident that he can stop those stupid interceptions like yesterday.  Gotta do something about those fumbles or it’s going to be his Achilles heal.  

9 hours ago, TheJauronClap said:

I've noticed in games 2 and 3 the giants and bengals started sending more blitzes and different pressures idk if josh isn't seeing it right to adjust or daboll isnt adjusting it and leaving it up to josh but its a concern seeing 5 wide and they rush 7 leaving josh on a island 

Yeah he seemed to be unaware of blind side blitzes too many times.  He’s gonna get killed if he can’t change that AND they improve his protection for that side.  There was a blind side hit to his back early on that’s a prime example.  He’s tough but he’s still human.

9 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

this game was a bit like the jets game.   when they played well they played really well but some really stupid plays made life a lot more difficult than it should have been for them.  

Agreed.  If TJ Yeldon doesn't fumble, we put away the game right there.

If Josh doesn't throw that bad interception,  we punt and pin the Bengals deep in their territory. 

15 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I'm not sure if it is what Josh is seeing and his ability to process the defense once they start making changes, especially after the half, or if it is us being conservative with the playcalling. I kinda feel like it is both, but for 3 straight weeks we have had our asses handed to us in the 3rd. This happening once is one thing, but it has been 3 straight games and it is a trend...

Here is a breakdown of Allen and the offense by quarter. There really is a drastic decrease in production in the 3rd quarter - 73 Net Yards for the season.... 

398530523_Allenpassingthrough3games.thumb.jpg.cf8e81706225212829f72aff046081c6.jpg

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I'm not sure if it is what Josh is seeing and his ability to process the defense once they start making changes, especially after the half, or if it is us being conservative with the playcalling. I kinda feel like it is both, but for 3 straight weeks we have had our asses handed to us in the 3rd. This happening once is one thing, but it has been 3 straight games and it is a trend...

Totally agree....I can’t understand why a team with a QB who has yet to play a full season, an offense that has 70 percent new personnel, can’ t go out and dominate for 4 quarters against other actual NFL teams trying just as hard.

Even though we are 3-0.....I need to see 4 quarters of out playing the competition before I am on board with positive comments!

I really like our coaching staff on both sides of the ball, but with that said the halftime adjustments need a little readjusting themselves.  They need to go into the shotgun formation and let Josh do his thing as opposed to hamstringing him to that double-triple tight end setup play after play.  It leads to too many predictable passing situations when the run doesn't work.  The shotgun keeps the defense more unbalanced and plays into Josh's strengths.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

they need to run more but Allen definitely had some execution errors but hes a gamer and knows how to rally.

I wish the coaching staff and Allen rallied like this on every series.  

The Bills need their offense to ignore the defense, act like they are 10 down with 4 minutes left at all times.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Here is a breakdown of Allen and the offense by quarter. There really is a drastic decrease in production in the 3rd quarter - 73 Net Yards for the season.... 

398530523_Allenpassingthrough3games.thumb.jpg.cf8e81706225212829f72aff046081c6.jpg

Please note I am not ragging on Allen or saying it is all his fault, but as the QB you get the accolades for wins and the blame for losses - it's not all on him though. Certainly you don't loose accuracy; the only "change" I can think of is the half-time adjustments (taking away what you did in the first half) and the having to find a new way to beat the coverage, difficulty recognizing a new disguise in coverage, or super conservatism in play calling (which hasn't entirely been the case - depending on field position, down distance etc). We also are prone to some penalties and such...

• Like (+1) 1

We've been terrible in the 3rd quarter all year. That needs to change next week or we're going to get blown out.

Allen needs to stop trying to roll out to his right. He threw a stupid intentional grounding pass in the 1st quarter that knocked us out of field goal range and he made the cardinal sin (again) of rolling right and throwing back across the middle for the interception, which sparked the Bengals rally. That's like the 5th or 6th time Allen has done that. When is he going to figure out that you can't do that in the NFL?

Allen is a gamer, which is great, but yesterday's game should have never been close. The intentional grounding, Yeldon's stupid fumble, and the interception all put the game in jeopardy. Can't make any of those mistakes against New England and expect to win. 

• Like (+1) 2

One thing that hasn't gotten attention - Allen's inability to connect on long throws. He is 0-4 or 0-5 on downfield bombs this season, and none have been close except for the one that should have been picked. That deep inaccuracy is likely affecting how teams approach Allen now.

14 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

We've been terrible in the 3rd quarter all year. That needs to change next week or we're going to get blown out.

Allen needs to stop trying to roll out to his right. He threw a stupid intentional grounding pass in the 1st quarter that knocked us out of field goal range and he made the cardinal sin (again) of rolling right and throwing back across the middle for the interception, which sparked the Bengals rally. That's like the 5th or 6th time Allen has done that. When is he going to figure out that you can't do that in the NFL?

Allen is a gamer, which is great, but yesterday's game should have never been close. The intentional grounding, Yeldon's stupid fumble, and the interception all put the game in jeopardy. Can't make any of those mistakes against New England and expect to win. 

One reason for this is the ridiculous number of jailbreaks by opposing d-lines the last couple of weeks. The Bills' pass blocking is not good, and injuries have played a huge role.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Please note I am not ragging on Allen or saying it is all his fault, but as the QB you get the accolades for wins and the blame for losses - it's not all on him though. Certainly you don't loose accuracy; the only "change" I can think of is the half-time adjustments (taking away what you did in the first half) and the having to find a new way to beat the coverage, difficulty recognizing a new disguise in coverage, or super conservatism in play calling (which hasn't entirely been the case - depending on field position, down distance etc). We also are prone to some penalties and such...

Yeah, I get it. I went back and watched those quarters again and there is enough blame to go around. The contrast in play and production between the 3rd quarter in each game and the rest of the game is troubling. I'm not sure what the problem is. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Artem Lipatov said:

But Bills ars strong in 4th quarter. And I accept it

If I had to take one or the other, I'll take the 4th any day.

19 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Not necessarily... he just needs to make the decision to throw it away before he's 25 yards  behind the LOS.

18 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I'm not sure if it is what Josh is seeing and his ability to process the defense once they start making changes, especially after the half, or if it is us being conservative with the play calling. I kinda feel like it is both, but for 3 straight weeks we have had our asses handed to us in the 3rd. This happening once is one thing, but it has been 3 straight games and it is a trend...

For those of you who insist they are not taking their foot off the gas, fine.  However, they obviously do need to do something different out of the gate in the third quarter.

Reed, the funny thing is Josh Allen is more competent this year than he was in 2018.  However, with this new and improved "Not so much deep ball and less broken play rushes QB" there is a predict-ability inherent in what they are doing.  I am noticing more guys in the box on D because they are less worried about 20+ yard pass plays or JA escaping and more about medium range passing and, a great back in Gore, but someone who is not going to break loose like Shady would.

Again, He is better and the Bills are better on offense and sometimes they overcome good defensive play...but unless it is their cute little end around they are seemingly predictable to opponents D.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

One thing that hasn't gotten attention - Allen's inability to connect on long throws. He is 0-4 or 0-5 on downfield bombs this season, and none have been close except for the one that should have been picked. That deep inaccuracy is likely affecting how teams approach Allen now.

One reason for this is the ridiculous number of jailbreaks by opposing d-lines the last couple of weeks. The Bills' pass blocking is not good, and injuries have played a huge role.

This is a very good point!

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

For those of you who insist they are not taking their foot off the gas, fine.  However, they obviously do need to do something different out of the gate in the third quarter.

Reed, the funny thing is Josh Allen is more competent this year than he was in 2018.  However, with this new and improved "Not so much deep ball and less broken play rushes QB" there is a predict-ability inherent in what they are doing.  I am noticing more guys in the box on D because they are less worried about 20+ yard pass plays or JA escaping and more about medium range passing and, a great back in Gore, but someone who is not going to break loose like Shady would.

Again, He is better and the Bills are better on offense and sometimes they overcome good defensive play...but unless it is there cute little end around they are seemingly predictable to opponents D.

He's gotta start being more accurate on deep throws. If he doesn't, the negative aspects of the Bills offense will be exacerbated in coming weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1