Bills weakness is becoming a trend in QTRs 2nd & 3rd

Reed83HOF

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

they need to run more but Allen definitely had some execution errors but hes a gamer and knows how to rally.

You can't put it all on him, since penalties start to creep up as well. You can't just let it slip away and then come back and win every week. It's great to beable to come back in the 4th, unlike with previous QBs.

Again purpose is not to hate on Allen, but it's an area that him and the team have to improve upon

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I dont think he coasted.  The Bills got really conservative after they went up by 14.  Josh made mistakes but he gave everything he had on each play.

I don't think it was a lack of effort but rather a lack of urgency by both the playcalling and from Josh to a degree. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PolishPrince said:

agreed... People seem to forget that even QB's like Brady and Big Ben relied HEAVILY on the run game and defense for their first couple of years

Thing is, this was a game where I felt the Bills should have relied on the run more, especially early. They have a good defense to lean on, and the Bengals have a terrible run defense, but good pass rushing front 7. They came out passing almost as frequently as they did week 1. 3 and out on the opening drive was a slap to Daboll.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

If Yeldon doesn't fumble it's 18-0 early ...

exactly, Yeldon is too finsesse, goes down at first contact and can't protect the football, bring back Marcus Murphy, the guy runs hard.

I got mad at Allen today, that interception was one of the supidest decision ever, throw it away already or take the grounding penalty, all better outcomes than letting the Bengals gain momentum and making it a game.

Then, I realize he is still in his second year and you watch him march down the field to come back from behind.

It would be nice if we could function on offense in the 3rd qtr in the upcoming games, though.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Not disagreeing but let's be real here.

The young buck QBs should not be "dominating."  This is still the NFL and defenses adjust.  

Look at Lamarr today.  Good thing he has elite WR skills bc he struggled.  Baker has been bad.  Sam struggled in week 1.  

Josh is right where he needs to be.  Which is in contrast to the 90 percent of pundits that thought he would never be good.  

Absolutely!  We have to temper our sky high expectations and remember how underdeveloped he is still.   The  the other guys played at big schools with big-time programs that played other big schools.  They were so much better prepared for the pros the day they walked off campus for the last time.  Allen is doing incredible when you really put it into perspective.  It's probably at least in part because he was in that amazing draft class that people always automatically compare him to the others.  What Allen played and played against at Wyoming was nothing compared to the big school programs.  Considering he's already handicapped and set back a few years behind his peers in that draft, he's doing pretty amazing right now.  We really better prepare for another year or two of bumps and scrapes before we can expect 10+ win seasons.  Don't be dissapointed or give up on Allen if that happens.  It should be expected.  From what we have seen so far of his positives, the sky really is the limit for him. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Josh is going to need to develop a sense of urgency in the middle portions of the game. He can't coast on a lead or rely on a defense. 

Josh needs to protect the football better.  For as much as he gets credit for making some amazing plays with his arm, he's still trying to do much on his own.  

I also see Daboll and McD trying to protect their young semi-reckless QB from making more mistakes with fewer downfield throws, more passes to the sideline or short, et al.  

It's clear the coaching staff prefers at this juncture to rest on their defense and running game when they get a lead.  Being safe is nice, but the training wheels need to start coming off a little more because they're not going to get an early lead on every team. 

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Distorted One said:

Absolutely!  We have to temper our sky high expectations and remember how underdeveloped he is still.   The  the other guys played at big schools with big-time programs that played other big schools.  They were so much better prepared for the pros the day they walked off campus for the last time.  Allen is doing incredible when you really put it into perspective.  It's probably at least in part because he was in that amazing draft class that people always automatically compare him to the others.  What Allen played and played against at Wyoming was nothing compared to the big school programs.  Considering he's already handicapped and set back a few years behind his peers in that draft, he's doing pretty amazing right now.  We really better prepare for another year or two of bumps and scrapes before we can expect 10+ win seasons.  Don't be dissapointed or give up on Allen if that happens.  It should be expected.  From what we have seen so far of his positives, the sky really is the limit for him. 

A lot of guys come from smaller programs. There were a few NFL players that he played with and thats more than a lot of programs. I don't think playing at Wyoming is a valid excuse for who he is. They wanted a Favre type player and they got one, and I think that we can like with that as long as their are more highs than low. The fumbles have me more worried than anything. 

5 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I'm not sure if it is what Josh is seeing and his ability to process the defense once they start making changes, especially after the half, or if it is us being conservative with the playcalling. I kinda feel like it is both, but for 3 straight weeks we have had our asses handed to us in the 3rd. This happening once is one thing, but it has been 3 straight games and it is a trend...

I'm not sure why you are putting this all on Allen. If you watched the games, you will see one constant in those periods of struggle: Pressure. Today, in particular, the Bengals applied pressure throughout the game, but, the offensive line really struggled in the third. In addition, his receivers struggled to gain separation today, especially his main targets of Brown and Beasley

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I was watching the Ravens-Chiefs game on another screen.

Both Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson were CONSTANTLY throwing up ridiculous jump-balls.

Regardless, we are seeing to much of it from Josh Allen.

I watched the entire Chiefs game...the one thing that stood out is Andy Reid is bringing some freak speed from his entire WR corp.

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm not sure why you are putting this all on Allen. If you watched the games, you will see one constant in those periods of struggle: Pressure. Today, in particular, the Bengals applied pressure throughout the game, but, the offensive line really struggled in the third. In addition, his receivers struggled to gain separation today, especially his main targets of Brown and Beasley

It's not just this week, I have watched all of the games and yes Allen struggled in the 3rd; the entire offense did. he also faced pressure all game including the 4th when he made some crazy plays. In the 3rd it seems like Allen is slower to get the ball out...Allen is the QB, makes the play calls and can audible based on what he sees, so a lot of it is on him...

Also:

3rd qtr stats