Rams vs Chargers stadium issue

YoloinOhio

On 9/24/2019 at 6:35 AM, Gordio said:

I went to visit my friend who moved out to Orange County last year.  He bought a 3 bedroom townhouse  paid $560M for it.  I have been to NYC many times & they have nothing on the traffic in SoCal.  Ridiculous.  No matter what time of day you went out there were traffic jams both ways.  We went to Santa Monica Pier one day, I think from his map quest it stated it was 28 miles away.  It took us over 2 hours to get home.  Visited Hollywood one day.  There were some really shady parts there.  Homeless people line up all the way down a few streets in tents.  I never seen anything like it.  Huntington Beach was awesome(I wouldn't mind living there) but for the most part the area was dirty & not impressive.  California is a sh*thole imo with natural disasters looming over the people's head all year round(mudslides, earthquakes, forest fires etc....) .   The ocean looked dirty & cold(I would never let my kids swim in there.)  People from California think it is the greatest place in the world because they have the nicest weather in the country.  But if you take the weather factor out of it, it really is a lousy place to live.  

Unfortunately, the traffic and homelessness issues you talk about can be said for many major American cities.  Lacking Infrastructure,  stagnant wages, unaffordable housing with more "luxury" properties being built by the day.  It will come to a head eventually.  Traffic here will drive a sane person crazy though. 

California is a huge state with many types of settings.  If you only stayed in Orange County/LA you missed out.  And Huntington Beach is nice, AND boring like most of Orange County.  Drive up through the central coast next time.  Lots of cool little beach towns or farm towns if you go further inland.   

Edited by purple haze

On 9/24/2019 at 5:19 PM, whatdrought said:

Oof. That is damning. 

Yes.....it has gotten so bad in San Francisco that there is a Crap App that you can use on your phone to know where to avoid an area that has human feces on the sidewalk.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SnapCrap-app-San-Francisco-poop-feces-dirty-street-13281837.php

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Yes.....it has gotten so bad in San Francisco that there is a Crap App that you can use on your phone to know where to avoid an area that has human feces on the sidewalk.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SnapCrap-app-San-Francisco-poop-feces-dirty-street-13281837.php

Their tourist commercials can steal that old cough drop bit, but instead of saying "Riiiiicoooollllaaaaa" they can say "Eeeeecooooliiiii."

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, purple haze said:

Unfortunately, the traffic and homelessness issues you talk about can be said for many major American cities.  Lacking Infrastructure,  stagnant wages, unaffordable housing with more "luxury" properties being built by the day.  It will come to a head eventually.  Traffic here will drive a sane person crazy though. 

California is a huge state with many types of settings.  If you only stayed in Orange County/LA you missed out.  And Huntington Beach is nice, AND boring like most of Orange County.  Drive up through the central coast next time.  Lots of cool little beach towns or farm towns if you go further inland.   

I like Orange County, but to each their own.

I agree with you about the Central Coast and further inland there are some very attractive places.

Pismo Beach is a wonderful and fun beach town, and places like San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles & Atascadero are very nice. There are also lots of wineries in the surrounding areas too.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:52 PM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

That's partially correct.  The latest ballot initiative was to raise the hotel tax (similar to what Arizona did), and the only money out of San Diego residents pocket would be if they decided to stay in the hotel themselves.  The ballot initiative failed in a vote.  Back in the early 2000s, the Chargers offered pay for the entire stadium if the city of San Diego would grant them the land for free to build it.  The city said no.

The city was part of the problem- which does not absolve Spanos- they wanted too much control over what happened. I hope Buffalo is not as dumb.

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I like Orange County, but to each their own.

I agree with you about the Central Coast and further inland there are some very attractive places.

Pismo Beach is a wonderful and fun beach town, and places like San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles & Atascadero are very nice. There are also lots of wineries in the surrounding areas too.

Love Pismo Beach and that entire corridor up through San Simeon.  Everybody should visit Hearst Castle once in their life. Carpinteria is an awesome little beach community too for those who don't want to go too far from L.A.

Orange County just does nothing for me.  I'd rather keep on driving to San Diego.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/22/2019 at 11:15 AM, YoloinOhio said:

It’s the owner’s fault for not providing enough money toward a stadium in SD. The nfl wouldn’t let them keep playing at Qualcomm which is a pit. He had the option to stay but wanted too much from the taxpayers. State of California is broke so that wasn’t happening. They absolutely should have stayed. He couldn’t resist this great deal of being a cheap tenant in Kronke’s palace. But they can’t sell their share of PSLs which are like 4x less than the rams PSLs. 

I think if the NFL expects public money to fund stadiums they should have to sell 51% of the club to the public (Green Bay’ish model).  There is a huge disservice to the public when owners threaten to leave a market in a blackmail or extortion scheme for public funding.

I think the NFL pressure on Buffalo to build a new stadium is nothing short of an insult to the fan base in this city and is a disservice to the NFL overall.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/22/2019 at 11:48 AM, clayboy54 said:

What would you expect in homeless California? No way any place in CA can support a stadium initiative. They can’t even take care of their own people.

So there is no homeless problem throughout the nation? This is probably the single most ignorant thing I have read this week by far. It's because that market has NEVER been able to sustain two teams, not because of some political BS.

On 9/22/2019 at 10:59 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I’m shocked that Spanos isn’t paying up! Shocked I say 

Getting a new stadium anyway

On 9/22/2019 at 11:48 AM, clayboy54 said:

What would you expect in homeless California? No way any place in CA can support a stadium initiative. They can’t even take care of their own people.

Have to spend money on illegals, they're more important.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 9/22/2019 at 11:15 AM, YoloinOhio said:

It’s the owner’s fault for not providing enough money toward a stadium in SD. The nfl wouldn’t let them keep playing at Qualcomm which is a pit. He had the option to stay but wanted too much from the taxpayers. State of California is broke so that wasn’t happening. They absolutely should have stayed. He couldn’t resist this great deal of being a cheap tenant in Kronke’s palace. But they can’t sell their share of PSLs which are like 4x less than the rams PSLs. 

Don't worry, maybe the NFL is planning to Super Bowl them and reffing them into the big game this year.  You know, just like they did last year with the Rams, who went from terrible to SB in the three years it took them to announce their move to LA.  

It was easily predictable that it would happen 

On 9/22/2019 at 10:52 AM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

That's partially correct.  The latest ballot initiative was to raise the hotel tax (similar to what Arizona did), and the only money out of San Diego residents pocket would be if they decided to stay in the hotel themselves.  The ballot initiative failed in a vote.  Back in the early 2000s, the Chargers offered pay for the entire stadium if the city of San Diego would grant them the land for free to build it.  The city said no.

And congrats to the people of San Diego for refusing that kind of corporate welfare - hey, let's tax somebody else (visitors) so the Chargers can reap the reward! I've lived in San Diego, and I respect that they still have a somewhat contrarian on such things. The city hasn't suffered one bit by having 8 fewer football games (plus an occasional playoff game!) per year. Meanwhile, I hear Inglewood is the new Carson. Or El Segundo.

Even though the Padres haven't been good, Petco is a different situation. A downtown stadium brings hundreds of thousands of visitors to downtown every year, 81 times per year (plus a very, very occasional playoff game!)

13 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So there is no homeless problem throughout the nation? This is probably the single most ignorant thing I have read this week by far. It's because that market has NEVER been able to sustain two teams, not because of some political BS.

There is a homeless problem across this country but it is far worse in Socal.  Go down Hollywood and there are tents lined down the street as far as the eye can see.  It is a combination of things.  Kids go out there thinking they are going to be the next Tom Cruise & the industry chews them up & spits them out.  Also, the real estate is so expensive out there, you fall behind a payment or two on your mortgage & it is very difficult to catch up.  Like I said combination of things plus the beautiful weather factors into it too.  But it is a huge problem in Socal, more so then other parts of the country.

17 hours ago, purple haze said:

Love Pismo Beach and that entire corridor up through San Simeon.  Everybody should visit Hearst Castle once in their life. Carpinteria is an awesome little beach community too for those who don't want to go too far from L.A.

Orange County just does nothing for me.  I'd rather keep on driving to San Diego.

Carpinteria is a neat little place.

Agree with you about Hearst Castle. That place is amazing. All the history about it is fascinating. How cool is it to see Zebras out in the fields when you drive by on the freeway in that area?!

Orange County has Disneyland, that's all that matters to me.

• Like (+1) 1