What this Bills season is all about & nobody says it!

PUNT750

A supposedly great draft, the same for free agent pick-ups etc., etc., etc.  We're a better overall team !  A great defense. All is wonderful !

But, what it's all about is a 23 year old QB. 

Can he be the team leader?  I don't see it!  He's immature.  He looks it, acts it and it shows on the field.

Can he throw more TD's than Interceptions?  I wouldn't bet on it based on his history!

A winning NFL QB can't have a 52.8 completion %.  Can he do much, much better?

He's a nice kid but can he ever be the MAN?

Why do all of the major NFL polls predict the Bills will finish 23-25 out of 32 teams???  Is it because of Cole Beasley, John Brown, Ed Oliver, Tremaine Edwards, Mitch Morse or Tre White?

The days of the 4-5 year re-build are way, way over.  Players demand trades and new contracts quickly!  Two (2) years is a reasonable re-build time now IF YOU HAVE THE QUARTERBACK !!

DO WE HAVE HIM?

• Sad 2

26 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

A supposedly great draft, the same for free agent pick-ups etc., etc., etc.  We're a better overall team !  A great defense. All is wonderful !

Can he be the team leader?  I don't see it!  He's immature.  He looks it, acts it and it shows on the field.

Can he throw more TD's than Interceptions?  I wouldn't bet on it based on his history!

Why do all of the major NFL polls predict the Bills will finish 23-25 out of 32 teams???  Is it because of Cole Beasley, John Brown, Ed Oliver, Tremaine Edwards, Mitch Morse or Tre White?

The days of the 4-5 year re-build are way, way over.  Players demand trades and new contracts quickly!  Two (2) years is a reasonable re-build time now IF YOU HAVE THE QUARTERBACK !!

DO WE HAVE HIM?

Why bother caring for this team at all if your lack of hope turns into something so damn sinister. You'd rather be right than see him improve, I bet. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gambit said:

Well, I'm just mind blown. I can't believe this entire time we never thought about the QB as the most important part. And here I was thinking it was how many claps does our Coach do in a whole game...?

Yeah. Most of the focus has been on special teams and backup linebacker. I tend to agree with the OP that the maturation of Allen is a sneaky important factor in the prognosis of the team.

3 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

DO WE HAVE HIM?

Nah. It's all about an awful lot more than that.

The sarcastic folks responding above are dead on target, but thought I'd do my best to muster a serious reply.

There's never been a rebuild that lasted two years. Reloads, yes. Complete rebuilds, no. This is the third year, but historically very very few rebuilds have teams in their third year become one of the handful of Super Bowl likelies. People mention examples of teams that have been quicker, and they immediately turn out to be teams that were reloads (the Dolphins trading for Pennington and running the Wildcat against a spectacularly easy schedule and plunging back to mediocrity the next year) or teams that had rebuilt and suffered for two or more years before hitting it big in the later years of the rebuild, such as the 49ers in their McCloughan-Baalke era or the Browns this year (assuming they're as good as they seem to look) following two years with a total of one win and a ton of accumulating of draft picks that resulted in their terrifically upgraded roster in the 4th year of their rebuild begun under Sashi Brown.

As for whether it's this year that we need to learn about Allen, nah. It may very easily take another year or two. Some QBs work out as fast as their second year. Many who become successful don't do it that early. So it's not so much this year for Allen as however long it takes (or doesn't).

This year's all about Allen? Again, it's just not that simple. They also have to show that they know how to build a team. So far they've looked very good, but it's all on paper so far. They still have a lot to prove, in many areas.

"Why," you ask, "do all of the major NFL polls predict the Bills will finish 23-25 out of 32 teams???  Is it because of Cole Beasley, John Brown, Ed Oliver, Tremaine Edwards, Mitch Morse or Tre White?"

Basically yes, it's because of those guys and the rest of the roster. It's because the Bills won six games last year and have yet to show they can do better. Allen's certainly a major part of that, but so is the rest of this team.

Does the development of Josh Allen matter? Oh, yeah, big time. Is it maybe the most important of the many many issues they face? Arguably, yeah. But everyone already knows this ... it's been a huge focus on these boards since Allen was picked. But is this season all about it? Nah. This year isn't some make-or-break deal, far from it. And the whole process of revamping this team is much more complex than you make it out.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yes, much of the potential success of this season hinges on Josh Allen.  I understand the accuracy concerns, there's no denying that. If you don't trust Allen, who do you replace him with?  There are journeyman veterans who might achieve a higher completion percentage, but that's only part of the equation.  They drafted Allen on his immense physical potential.  Yes, he has been inaccurate, but If he can correct his mistakes, he has the physical talent to surpass any of the also-rans from off the street.  It's a gamble, but if it pays off, we can all laugh at our concerns in a few years.

7 minutes ago, Jigsaw2112 said:

Yes, much of the potential success of this season hinges on Josh Allen.  I understand the accuracy concerns, there's no denying that. If you don't trust Allen, who do you replace him with?  There are journeyman veterans who might achieve a higher completion percentage, but that's only part of the equation.  They drafted Allen on his immense physical potential.  Yes, he has been inaccurate, but If he can correct his mistakes, he has the physical talent to surpass any of the also-rans from off the street.  It's a gamble, but if it pays off, we can all laugh at our concerns in a few years.

This is a fair take.

Allen is a high risk/high reward player and of course he is the key to the upcoming season.

Whether or not that gamble is going to pay off should be found it this season IMO.

48 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This is a fair take.

Allen is a high risk/high reward player and of course he is the key to the upcoming season.

Whether or not that gamble is going to pay off should be found it this season IMO.

No, it really won’t be found out this season. He’s barely 23 years old. Blessed with ungodly talent, it has never been developed through quality coaching. It’s why he was forced to send a thousand letters to colleges just for an opportunity to showcase these gifts. Through 2 undistinguished schools of higher learning, he still wasn’t properly coached, as his teams stood in wonder of his amazing Hero Ball capabilities. His only -repeat ONLY- coaching has come in just the last 14 months. He still dazzled everyone, this time on a global scale, but he won’t be ‘pro ready’ for at least 2 more years. Case in point, Kelly went full scholarship to the U under Schellenbacker(sp?). Then 2 seasons under Mouse Davis playing semi-Pro ball. While he was anointed GOD upon arriving in B’lo, it was 2 more years of untimely INTs, game killing blunders and a huge ego that believed he could just WILL good things to happen. 

Allen has ALL THE TOOLS. He will be Great in time. Just not THIS time..

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

DO WE HAVE HIM?

Ah??? Breaking News: I think everyone that writes or talks about the Bills puts it all on Josh Allen.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm

Completion Percentages 59.4, 59.7, 59.5 of Jim Kelly's 1st 3 seasons as a Buffalo Bill. Using the OP's standards he was never going to amount to anything - right?

Should have cut him after these three horrible seasons - Yes?

Kelly's TD/Int his first 3 seasons: 22/17, 19/11, 15/17

Horrible  - right? This guy obviously sucked and should have been cut after his 1st 3 seasons - Right?

Kelly BTW was 26 yrs old that 1st season. His won/loss records those 1st 3 seasons: 4-12, 7-8, 12/4.

But some so called fans want to crucify Allen after one partial season???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1