Zeke 6 years $90 millionw/ $50 mil guarenteed

Reed83HOF

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Interesting.  I think they're a 9-7 team....bubble playoff team IMO.

I like the Saints first.  I think this is their year.

Dallas' defense is legitimately good.  They have a chance to be a top-5 unit if their young secondary players round into form and a secondary pass rusher steps up to complement Lawrence (looking at you, Taco).

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

McCoy finished better than 5th on the team in receiving yards once, and that was because we arguably had the worst group of receivers in the league. Even then, he still managed to finish 5th last year when that was still the case.

I don't put a ton of stock in last year. In any event, when you consider McCoy's rushing and passing stats together, he accounted for the majority of the team's yards. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The fact that the compromise was Dallas giving him MORE money in order to have him locked up for 8 years instead of a sane number is crazy.

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I don't put a ton of stock in last year. In any event, when you consider McCoy's rushing and passing stats together, he accounted for the majority of the team's yards. 

He accounted for less than 15% of the team's yards last year.

Edited by DCOrange

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The fact that the compromise was Dallas giving him MORE money in order to have him locked up for 8 years instead of a sane number is crazy.

He accounted for less than 15% of the team's yards last year.

He sucked last year; hence, my comment that I don't put a lot of stock in last year. 

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He sucked last year; hence, my comment that I don't put a lot of stock in last year. 

Yes, but you said he accounted for the majority of the team's yards when it was actually a very small fraction and nowhere remotely close to a majority.

Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

A top 3 pick and $15 million per year on a RB. No thanks. Are they also going to pay Dak more than Goff? If so we should make a serious push for Amari Cooper in free agency next year. Because Dallas can't afford him.

They can actually.

Zeke's extension most likely helps their 2020 cap situation by lowering his cap hit from the 5th year option number of $9.1M.

Even with La'el Collins' new deal and Zeke's option number, the Cowboys have only $133M committed to the 2020 cap.  If you assume the cap is ~$200M, then they'd have $67M in space.  Easy enough to afford Cooper on a market-value contract; figure $18M AAV.  Even if they absorb $20M of that in year 1 (which they probably won't), they'd still have $47M in cap space.  If you assume that they tag Dak, then they'll be down to about $22M in cap space.

The problem for them is that--with Cooper signed and Dak tagged--they'd have only 40 players under contract, so they'd have to be judicious about how they fill their last 13 roster spots.  Obviously 4-5 of those can come from the draft, so it's really going to be a question of how they handle their bottom 9-10 on the roster.

Of course, none of that takes into account cap savings (or open roster spots) from letting go of overpriced vets like Tyrone Crawford and Cam Fleming, which would save the team $12.5M in cap space.

Plus, they have Will McClay; the dude is as good as it gets when it comes to roster-building.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Yes, but you said he accounted for the majority of the team's yards when it was actually a very small fraction and nowhere remotely close to a majority.

Yeah, I see why you think that. I was unclear. I was trying to convey that outside of last year, in the years prior, he accounted for a majority of the team's yards. 

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Did he Really?

Were we contenders because of that RB?  

We made the playoffs with him. I’d suggest that if you have a great QB, a RB is less important. If you have no QB, a great RB is necessary. I feel those two realities are on a sliding scale that goes up and down depending on the competency of your QB. Even a game manager such as Dak or Dalton may need more oomph at RB to be successful, while Rodgers or Brady would be fine with a stable of okay RBs.

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Dallas' defense is legitimately good.  They have a chance to be a top-5 unit if their young secondary players round into form and a secondary pass rusher steps up to complement Lawrence (looking at you, Taco).

I think it's because I just don't think Dak is that good...he's an above average overall QB.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Zeke will be out of shape.  First month injury coming. 

Poor Jerry.   If he was intent to waste this much money on his RB he should have done it a month ago.

Every decent player on the Cowboys should hold out.  They got Jerry by his wrinkly beanbag.  He is so desperate to win (which is awesome) but will cause some them to have some awful contracts.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Every decent player on the Cowboys should hold out.  They got Jerry by his wrinkly beanbag.  He is so desperate to win (which is awesome) but will cause some them to have some awful contracts.

Hahaha. Yeah, zeke got exactly what he wanted. A month long vacation in Mexico, no camp grind, fresh legs for the season, and all the cash. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Hahaha. Yeah, zeke got exactly what he wanted. A month long vacation in Mexico, no camp grind, fresh legs for the season, and all the cash. 

I believe this is called the Bruce Smith plan.  I wonder if the Cowboys are going to have someone babysit him like did with Dez.  

That said, Zeke is an awesome rb with hall if fame talent.  It’s amazing an ewok could be that good at football.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it's because I just don't think Dak is that good...he's an above average overall QB.  

He was above average before they added Cooper; he was very good once Cooper was in the fold:

Dak before Cooper: 7 games, 128/206 (62.1%), 1,417 yards (6.88 YPA), 8 TDs, 4 INTs, 23 sacks for 135 yards, 87.38 passer rating

Dak with Cooper: 9 games, 228/320 (71.2%), 2,468 yards (7.71 YPA), 14 TDs, 4 INTs, 33 sacks for 212 yards, 102.97 passer rating

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He was above average before they added Cooper; he was very good once Cooper was in the fold:

Dak before Cooper: 7 games, 128/206 (62.1%), 1,417 yards (6.88 YPA), 8 TDs, 4 INTs, 23 sacks for 135 yards, 87.38 passer rating

Dak with Cooper: 9 games, 228/320 (71.2%), 2,468 yards (7.71 YPA), 14 TDs, 4 INTs, 33 sacks for 212 yards, 102.97 passer rating

Lets do a friendly bet.

$5 towards something BillsMafia is raising money for at some point in the season.  9.5 and you'll take the over...me under.

22 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

They can actually.

Zeke's extension most likely helps their 2020 cap situation by lowering his cap hit from the 5th year option number of $9.1M.

Good post. I question the above but I'm really not sure. You think they're kicking most of his money a couple years down the road?

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Good post. I question the above but I'm really not sure. You think they're kicking most of his money a couple years down the road?

That's what I would do. Dak and Cooper don't have cap figures for 2020, so their deals can only raise the teams cap commitment, whereas Zeke's deal can lower it 

40 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

They can actually.

Even with La'el Collins' new deal and Zeke's option number, the Cowboys have only $133M committed to the 2020 cap.  If you assume the cap is ~$200M, then they'd have $67M in space.  Easy enough to afford Cooper on a market-value contract; figure $18M AAV.  Even if they absorb $20M of that in year 1 (which they probably won't), they'd still have $47M in cap space.  If you assume that they tag Dak, then they'll be down to about $22M in cap space.

The problem for them is that--with Cooper signed and Dak tagged--they'd have only 40 players under contract, so they'd have to be judicious about how they fill their last 13 roster spots.  Obviously 4-5 of those can come from the draft, so it's really going to be a question of how they handle their bottom 9-10 on the roster.

Of course, none of that takes into account cap savings (or open roster spots) from letting go of overpriced vets like Tyrone Crawford and Cam Fleming, which would save the team $12.5M in cap space.

Plus, they have Will McClay; the dude is as good as it gets when it comes to roster-building.

All this spending lately could get the Cowboys in trouble down the road. Over the last 5 months they've signed 4 players, all to 5 or 6 year contracts totaling $313M. I understand some of the back end of the contracts may never come to fruition, but they haven't signed Dak yet either. Let's say he gets around what Goff got and going with what Dallas has been doing this offseason it's a 5 year deal for ~$167.5M. That's 5 contracts totaling ~$480M over a 5-6 year span & they still would have to sign Cooper. Once they get him signed, 6 players will absorb about 50% of the cap space. On average that'll leave about $2M/yr per player to round out the roster. It doesn't leave much margin of error or any space if they hit on a few players and want to resign them.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Thank you (+1) 1