Week One: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

So I'm listening to 950 am and they have on one of the beat writers....Matt (last name?) on and they asked him what his thoughts are about just having 3 outside corners on the active roster.

He said that when he spoke with McDermott, he feels that Siran Neal could play outside in an emergency if they need.  I'm shocked about that....Neal on the outside will be heavily targeted if it came to that.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

20 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I've just spent 20 minutes reading the Jets gang green forum. It's actually quite funny. I'd say 99% of them are wildly overconfident. Picking your team to win is one thing but some of the comments verge on arrogance. You'd think they were the Patriots. They're talking about Bell having 200 all purpose yards and Darnold having a career day. This is weird especially in week 1 when you have no real evidence of anything yet. Go have a read, it's great.

I actually think the teams are very evenly matched after all the changes they've made. I feel good about the Bills this season but am far from over confident. Think it'll be a close game decided in the 4th quarter.

It's not like the Bills defense isn't at least a respectable unit. Also outside of Bell the offense is a bit of a mess around Bell and Darnold. Their O-line is a mess, their WR core is banged up and while not bad certainly isn't elite and Darnold didn't exactly light it up last year. The Bills meanwhile have a much improved offense and a defense that should remain respectable. The Bills also improved their return game and special teams. 

I think it is fine and dandy to predict a home win for your team but to pick a blowout is just silly. Hell I think the Bills win by 7 and I am not exactly super confident as I think both teams have similar talent levels. 

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So I'm listening to 950 am and they have on one of the beat writers....Matt (last name?) on and they asked him what his thoughts are about just having 3 outside corners on the active roster.

He said that when he spoke with McDermott, he feels that Siran Neal could play outside in an emergency if they need.  I'm shocked about that....Neal on the outside will be heavily targeted if it came to that.

That's not what McDermott said.  He said that Neal could play in the slot, and that Taron Johnson could slide outside in an emergency.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

That's not what McDermott said.  He said that Neal could play in the slot, and that Taron Johnson could slide outside in an emergency.

I'm not doubting you, I was working at the same time I was listening to my attention was divided.  But I swear the beat writer said Neal on the outside...he mentioned that it was surprising to him.  When its up on demand...I'm going to listen to it again.  

Bell and Robbie scare me but one is rusty (hopefully) .......and the other is hobbled. Their TE is suspended and Oline is meh.

Their defense is strong against the run so we can expose them on the boundaries.

Still think we steal one there.

Buffalo 21-10......close game til 4th

Edited by r00tabaga

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not doubting you, I was working at the same time I was listening to my attention was divided.  But I swear the beat writer said Neal on the outside...he mentioned that it was surprising to him.  When its up on demand...I'm going to listen to it again.  

There's just as good a chance that I missed something when I listened.

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

4 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I heard Beane say that Neal can go outside.

Seems to me someone in this here conversation is being ... untruthful ....

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Seems to me someone in this here conversation is being ... untruthful ....

Maybe it was Beane and not McDermott who said it.  I was just casually listening to the interview....I swore he said Neal on the outside in an emergency.  

I guess in a zone defense, he could be okay in it.

On 9/2/2019 at 10:07 AM, Protocal69 said:

He had those rushing yards because he couldn’t make the right reads. I can tell you really don’t watch games around the league. Yes Josh is a nice talent but he is far from the greatest mobile quarterback ever trust me. Forget ever I can name at least 5 qb in the league who if they wanted to run could run  like Josh could. 

Josh is the only one who has walked the walk when it comes to putting up dominating rushing yards. Other QB's might be just as athletic or mobile on paper but they haven't actually been as mobile or prolific at running as Josh was in the final six games last year. There could be many reasons why or why not. You even suggest that JA's big arm (and I would also throw in gunslinger mentality) helps open up the running lanes for him. That is a trait that Josh has that most other mobile QB's do not and should be considered a positive.

Even all that aside, my argument was simply Josh vs Darnold. I think we can all agree that both Darnold and Allen were sub par last year as passers. The raw statistics certainly suggest such. But how were both as runners? If we want to measure on a simple 1-10 scale you could say Josh was a 9.5 -10 in the final six games. What was Darnold? Maybe a 5?

Darnold was statistically a better passer than Allen but it wasn't by the wide margin that we see when we compare the two QB's raw rushing numbers. If we were to apply the same simple 1-10 scale for passing efficiency where would we rank them? Maybe Allen is a 4 and Darnold is a 5.5?

I just don't see any reason to believe Darnold is a better QB at everything in totality.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Maybe it was Beane and not McDermott who said it.  I was just casually listening to the interview....I swore he said Neal on the outside in an emergency.  

Ah shoot, you're right; it was Beane that I heard talk about Taron outside.

36 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I've just spent 20 minutes reading the Jets gang green forum. It's actually quite funny. I'd say 99% of them are wildly overconfident. Picking your team to win is one thing but some of the comments verge on arrogance. You'd think they were the Patriots. They're talking about Bell having 200 all purpose yards and Darnold having a career day. This is weird especially in week 1 when you have no real evidence of anything yet. Go have a read, it's great.

I actually think the teams are very evenly matched after all the changes they've made. I feel good about the Bills this season but am far from over confident. Think it'll be a close game decided in the 4th quarter.

And that was just the posts from ScottLaw

• Haha (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Darnold has not impressed me since that 4 game stretch in 2016.  A year from hitting holes and NFL speed will be a factor for Bell.  The Jets oline is bottom third, the Steelers were top 5.  Offseason champs dont live up to the hype.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Some thoughts from Jest fans...

image.thumb.png.2fc5293b5b11ec33106e255cf63558af.png

image.png.6a344af67825ec5097baaeb4c2dc2f54.png

image.thumb.png.3b1f76b22aa89fac0227d533d79c153c.png

image.thumb.png.b4a721f75567ceb8b17313b3f1d7ce3b.png

image.thumb.png.1a4137b526cf7af7bee49b8b10958c31.png

I mean, we have our fair share of homers. But, these guys are on a whole another level. I love them throwing out lingo like 21 personnel and such to sound like their football matches their outrageous takes as to thinking they’ll win by 2 scores. This game will be close. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Secondary is one group where they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Kevin Johnson looks like another great addition as well. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm not sure how a Bills or Jets fan can be widely overconfident. Both have been bottom of the barrel franchise for a long time. 

We're 15-17 last 2 seasons ,w/ playoff berth. Easily could be 17-15 if Clay catches pass in Miami and Allen didn't get hurt @ Houston. 

Jets are 9-23 in same span.

They made 2 splashy signings and suddenly they're contenders?! The more I'm looking at this game, more confident I am in Buff. Jets are very overrated imo.

Jets have been bottom of barrel,not Buf

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 5