Group Chat: Your takes on the Offense tonight

45 minutes ago, mannc said:

As noted, McCoy looks ready to roll.  I thought Gore looked spry as well, especially on the play were he was hurt on the late hit.  Very encouraging.

I’m still blown away that we have two Top-25-All-Time running backs on the roster.   That’s cool stuff.

I just don't have any confidence in Zay Jones. I won't miss him at all if he is cut.

2 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I say no way!

We are talking about a 2nd round pick we traded up for, who lead all WRs last year, with a decent year. Worked his butt off in the off-season and was awarded and recognized as hardest worker through training camp. A because of a play here or there... he’s gonna be cut? If he weren’t on a rookie contract, and was $7M against the cap, wasn’t working hard and not a team player. Sure...

If he gets cut that will leave a bad taste in a lot of players mouths...

You are probably right, but coming from a guy who calls himself "Zay Day", it feels like you might be over valuing Mr. Jones....he isn't very good.

I just don't feel any confidence in him, and I don't get the sense that Allen or anyone else does either (despite what they might zay).

Edited by OJ Tom
  • Like (+1) 1

This receiver competition is awesome and such a great problem to have. Who is making this team?

Robert Foster has got to be on the fringe at this point, I don't care, I'll be a broken record and say it again. I know he's hurt, but how does that automatically make him safe? Are they just going to keep the injured guy that flashed late last season with this much competition at WR? I don't know. McKenzie just keeps making plays, and how can you not love Duke? Everybody hates Zay now but at least he was out there making plays tonight. I loved Foster last year, but come on, WR is so competitive and murky right now, I don't see how he's just guaranteed a spot. 

Ray-Ray's gone with McKenzie's play. Sills is gone, he's done nothing. 

They didn't throw the ball much and Josh didn't have big numbers?  Good.

The #1 goal last night IMV was to keep Josh (and everyone) healthy.  We would feel much different if they failed at that.

So lets run the ball a ton and work on the run game against a very strong D-Line.  Whatever you do just don't get Josh hit, but a few passes won't hurt... 

Then, what maybe Josh's 1st pass, he takes off running!  OK, enough of that, hand the ball off buddy.?

I'm glad the coaching staff wasn't trying to prove the decision to draft Josh last night with him throwing all over, they were trying to be smart and get good work done without losing the QB.

Josh is so competitive maybe they just can't trust him to protect himself yet, so save it for when it counts.

I was ready to see Barkley when Josh slid kinda head first sideways on his scramble...really not good in the preseason.

7 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

ive been pretty down on mccoy and still am to an extent but on that direct hand off he looked fast as hell... must of been some kind of optical illusion.  

when singletary ran the td in i thought it was gore at first. 

1st team O having serious flashbacks to last year (first half of the year)

have

6 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

i watched every game last year...at times he looked slow to me.  even when he had space.  your right about the blocking being atrocious last year though.  

He had one of the fastest TDs of the season, 20+ mph.

3 hours ago, Nelius said:

This receiver competition is awesome and such a great problem to have. Who is making this team?

Robert Foster has got to be on the fringe at this point, I don't care, I'll be a broken record and say it again. I know he's hurt, but how does that automatically make him safe? Are they just going to keep the injured guy that flashed late last season with this much competition at WR? I don't know. McKenzie just keeps making plays, and how can you not love Duke? Everybody hates Zay now but at least he was out there making plays tonight. I loved Foster last year, but come on, WR is so competitive and murky right now, I don't see how he's just guaranteed a spot. 

Ray-Ray's gone with McKenzie's play. Sills is gone, he's done nothing. 

Foster bas done it in the regular season.  This is preseason.  Some of us seem to forget this is preseason and what Peterman did last preseason and this preseason.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Josh was really, really bad tonight. As good as he was last week, he was equally BAD this week.

Run/Run/Pass.

That's not how you play with this QB, period. On the ONE drive in which he was allowed to make plays, he (shocker) made plays and looked good.

If THAT is the offense Daboll is planning on running with this kid, MEH.

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Run/Run/Pass.

That's not how you play with this QB, period. On the ONE drive in which he was allowed to make plays, he (shocker) made plays and looked good.

If THAT is the offense Daboll is planning on running with this kid, MEH.

They wanted to focus on the running game last night in a preseason game, and they did what they wanted to do.  What they ran last night is not in any way indicative of what they plan to do in the regular season, same as the last couple weeks when they focused on the passing game and didn't run much at all.  They said they wanted to get Shady and Gore work last night; they did what they said they'd do.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They wanted to focus on the running game last night in a preseason game, and they did what they wanted to do.  What they ran last night is not in any way indicative of what they plan to do in the regular season, same as the last couple weeks when they focused on the passing game and didn't run much at all.  They said they wanted to get Shady and Gore work last night; they did what they said they'd do.

I hope you're right. Because that was terrible.

Overall, it was a great night for the offense. Two reasons: (1) They wanted to run the ball, and did--over 100 yards in the first half. (2) We showed we may have the nest backup QB situation in the league.

Josh Allen had a decent night. Not sure any of you saw this, but he did make one bad decision and throw--yeah, really, go back and watch the tape. Beyond that, he did a professional job and when needed most, drove the team on a long drive to end the half.

People that helped themselves: Duke Williams, Isiah McKenzie, TJ Yeldon, Ryan Bates (played left tackle and held his own--proving to be a solid versitle player)

People that hurt themselves: Ray-Ray McCoud, Zay Jones (he did make a few nice plays but hard to figure what's going on with him)

And, in general, the offensive line, even with all the shuffling, continues to look light-years ahead of last season

8 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I hope you're right. Because that was terrible.

When they say they want to do X, and then they do X, I tend to believe them.

As far as Josh, I said at the time when he threw that pick he cannot make that throw, that he'll get screamed at by the coaches and rightfully so.  But then it comes down to three throws. The one to Zay where he went back shoulder and the one to Beasley in the flat.  Both of those appeared to be timing routes; he and Zay didn't have the timing right (and it was pretty well covered) and the one to Beasley there was a high snap which may have thrown the timing off.  The one to Brown was a good throw, low where Brown could make a play but the DB made a good move on the ball. 

I'm not saying you're one of these guys, but since I'm writing here I have to ask whether this is what we're going to see on the board all year.  are we going to dissect every single pass the young second year QB throws as if an individual pass is going to define his career.  Of the work he did last night, only the almost pick was a horrendous decision and throw.  Which he admitted during the in game interview and that he cannot make that throw.  All the other ones, except maybe the one in the flat to Beasley, were on target throws, and the one to Beasley may have been but was not the right timing.  So for those despairing of this entire accuracy thing, I saw no evidence of that yesterday; I think he in limited throws put them where he wanted.  Plus he directed a nice two minute drill.

The kid has a ways to go, but I don't think we need to harp on every single throw or thing he does.  Let's look at the totality of his play.  And that of the offense.  And from what I saw last night, our running game may be resurrected from last season.

• Like (+1) 2

I know it's hard to drill out instinct and the want to make a play....but the decision to throw that (non) pick was a real facepalm moment. You CAN'T throw that ball, just about everything was wrong with that situation. That decision really bothers me.

I can stand the bland boring 'gameplan' and fluke picks off Beasley's hands. Whatever. It's preseason.

Edited by Golden*Wheels
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It was tough to watch because we all wanted to see a wide open gun slinging Allen tossing the ball to Beasley, Brown, Sweeney & Jones.  Instead we got an incredibly dogmatic game plan that didn't have us pass on 1st down until the last drive of the half.  hell, we hardly were in the shotgun formation the first 28 minutes of the half. 

On a night in which the Bills were featured on national TV we all desperately wanted the nation to see how much better our offense, especially our passing offense, was.  We wanted them to see the Josh Allen of the last 6 games last year and form this years TC and 1st 2 preseason games.  We wanted them to see our two new WR's running free.  But it wasn't to be.  Instead it was BORING.  Run, run and then pass.  And no pass over 15 yards.  So now the Allen haters and Bills doubters can get on the radio, their pod casts or TV and trash Allen & the Bills.  Certain writers are just licking their chops to take shots at the Bills.

But thank goodness the coaches didn't care about winning a meaningless game.  And for damn sure they cared even less about what the "experts" might say.  They wanted to work on the run game and damn it that's what they did.  They needed to get the blocking assignments down and the timing between Allen and the RB's down.  They wanted to work on both the linemen and Allen making audibles to set the blocking scheme pre-snap.  And my sense is that they got done what they wanted to get done.

But we saw a glimpse of what this offense can do when the hand cuffs were taken off.  In the last 2 minutes Dabold let them go for it and did they ever.  Throwing on fist down and executing some clever running plays the Bills drove 95 yards to score a TD and take the lead.  Overall I'm happy with the outcome.

I liked the run concept on Shady's big run (the collarbone penalty) We were in shotgun and the two WR close the OL vacated the area taking their routes towards the middle of the field, Shady just had to run through the big hole Long and Ford created.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, WideNine said:

Daboll said in his presser last week that they do not game plan for preseason, rather they pick areas to work on against live competition...

Missed the game (was on the road), but it sounds like there is more work to do on the things they were working on.

I think this was obvious.  This was the game to get Shady and Gore work.  And they got it. I hope no one has any more questions about whether Shady has lost a step.  Gore was great.  

Once the two stars were on the bench, it was time to give the second tier receivers work.

I liked the offense.  Penalties aside, it looked crisp and efficient.  I love the short passing game. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think this was obvious.  This was the game to get Shady and Gore work.  And they got it. I hope no one has any more questions about whether Shady has lost a step.  Gore was great.  

Once the two stars were on the bench, it was time to give the second tier receivers work.

I liked the offense.  Penalties aside, it looked crisp and efficient.  I love the short passing game. 

Related:  It's easy to understand what a player like Frank Gore brings to the team in terms of toughness and leadership.  After that hit in the sidelines, banged up at 36 years old, in a preseason game...."Put me back in, Coach".  McD gets some heat for process, clapping et al, but Gore brings it to the table. I'd love to see him take #3 on the all-time yards list in a Bills unit on the way to a nice run into the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

I liked the run concept on Shady's big run (the collarbone penalty) We were in shotgun and the two WR close the OL vacated the area taking their routes towards the middle of the field, Shady just had to run through the big hole Long and Ford created.

Agree.  And that play was beautifully set up by back to back 1st down passes that chewed up big yardage.  That was the only drive where the Bills used most of their offense in the 1st half.  That drive was also the only time in the half that Dabold called plays that built off each other. 

After a nights sleep it's even clearer to me that the Bills went into last nights game wanting to hone the offenses running game.  My guess is that the final starting O-line and more importantly where each guy lines up was decided last night based on their run blocking.  The first two preseason games were designed to evaluate their pass blocking.

As an aside compare last nights game to the 3rd preseason game last year.  the Bengal's absolutely blew up the Bills O-line.  It was so bad the brain trust decided they didn't want to Risk Allen at Baltimore in week 1.  The result of last years 3rd preseason game set the stage for the Bill's offensive disasters in their first two games that year.   This year, I feel a whole lot more confident about the Bills O-line, their QB, their offensive coordinator and their receiving group then I did after last years 3rd preseason game.  And that's progress.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Agree.  And that play was beautifully set up by back to back 1st down passes that chewed up big yardage.  That was the only drive where the Bills used most of their offense in the 1st half.  That drive was also the only time in the half that Dabold called plays that built off each other. 

After a nights sleep it's even clearer to me that the Bills went into last nights game wanting to hone the offenses running game.  My guess is that the final starting O-line and more importantly where each guy lines up was decided last night based on their run blocking.  The first two preseason games were designed to evaluate their pass blocking.

As an aside compare last nights game to the 3rd preseason game last year.  the Bengal's absolutely blew up the Bills O-line.  It was so bad the brain trust decided they didn't want to Risk Allen at Baltimore in week 1.  The result of last years 3rd preseason game set the stage for the Bill's offensive disasters in their first two games that year.   This year, I feel a whole lot more confident about the Bills O-line, their QB, their offensive coordinator and their receiving group then I did after last years 3rd preseason game.  And that's progress.

Nice post.  

I feel really good about the game and the team. And pleased the injury list wasn't too long. 

I think the offense we've been looking for is on the way.  I think we will see ball control, crisp passing.  Whether the Bills can score TDs in the red zone is a question, but last night that wasn't a problem, either. 

• Like (+1) 1