Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Here's the CBA for anyone that wants to analyze:

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

The first sentence of the paragraph in question doesn't imply what you're suggesting.  Here's the whole paragraph:

Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a multiyear contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be extended until after the Club’s last regular season game of that League Year.

It's pretty clear: player gets tagged, tagging club has until the deadline to sign him to a new deal. After that date, player can only sign a one-year contract with his prior club, and can't be extended until after that club's final regular season game.

Yep. This. I think it is absolutely clear and if I were Clowney's counsel I'd tell him to sign the tender on the condition that the Texans agree to trade him to the Buffalo Bills ☺️

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

It's very similar to when we got Mario Williams and until we tried to make him a coverage DE he was a stud for us

With all due respect I think this idea took on a life of its own when Mario started complaining about it.   Pretty sure he dropped into coverage on less than 5% of the snaps that year.  The real story was he hit the wall hard at 30, and thought too highly of himself to be a team player.   The guy lost it, and quick.  He made excuses for himself, and negative journalists like Sully ran with it because someone was giving him attention and material.

Was a great player for us.  But Rex wasnt Mario's issue.  He wasnt any better in Miami the next year.

19 hours ago, BillsVet said:

For years, fans here have been quick to celebrate average or even mediocre teams.  Case in point: During the 2008 season I distinctly remember people happy that after 2+ seasons of Jauron-ball, the Bills were 6-5 after whipping the Chiefs 54-31 in KC.  My contention then was the same as it is now...that after 3 off-seasons of rebuilding it was completely unsatisfactory that Buffalo was barely .500 at that juncture.  And this was after a 5-2 start.

If an entity is not getting better, it is getting worse.  It's why going 8-8 or 9-7 is not enough improvement after all the drafts, UFA dollars, coaching changes, and scheme consistency by now.  Deep down, a lot of fans here are afraid to expect a 10+ win season because there's a chance that it won't happen.  It's why, after all the chest thumping, their expectations remain low.  No sense in having a bruised ego from one's favorite team not achieving.  

And of course, the only fix is bringing anyone and everyone who's remotely available. Right?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Here's the CBA for anyone that wants to analyze:

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

The first sentence of the paragraph in question doesn't imply what you're suggesting.  Here's the whole paragraph:

Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a multiyear contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be extended until after the Club’s last regular season game of that League Year.

It's pretty clear: player gets tagged, tagging club has until the deadline to sign him to a new deal. After that date, player can only sign a one-year contract with his prior club, and can't be extended until after that club's final regular season game.

Why is that?  In simple terms, Sentence #1 speaks only to the tagging club.  Sentence #2, as noted in an earlier post, should have been much better written if the intent was to prevent a tagged player from signing a long-term contract with a club other than the tagging club after July 15.  To the extent Sentence #1 reflects that the entirety of the clause is to pertain only to the relationship between the tagging club and the player (not too much of a stretch, given the availability of cleaner, plainer language as noted earlier in the thread), then we have found a loophole.  

Along those lines, Sentence #1 easily could (and probably should) speak to the player, not to the club, e.g., "Any player designated a Franchise Player shall have until . . . July 15 of the League Year . .  for which the designation takes effect to sign with any Club, including the Club designating him a Franchise Player, a multiyear contract or extension."  Boom.  Problem solved.  No room for this debate, and no occasion for a sharp agent/attorney to try to get a client like Clowney leverage and big bucks a year earlier than most would expect. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I see you point in your interpretation of the 1st bolded but that explains the tagging teams.  The thing that isn't specified there is that when a team

trades a player they are trading the contract with all its details, which is specified in a different location of the CBA.

The 2nd bolded would make "tagging" useless.  This whole franchise tag system will be changed or abandoned in the next CBA in my opinion.  

The contract likely would (at best, from the league's perspective), incorporate the terms of the CBA.  Which brings us back to this point - we still have a problem with the ambiguity of the tag language. 

21 hours ago, BillsVet said:

For years, fans here have been quick to celebrate average or even mediocre teams.  Case in point: During the 2008 season I distinctly remember people happy that after 2+ seasons of Jauron-ball, the Bills were 6-5 after whipping the Chiefs 54-31 in KC.  My contention then was the same as it is now...that after 3 off-seasons of rebuilding it was completely unsatisfactory that Buffalo was barely .500 at that juncture.  And this was after a 5-2 start.

If an entity is not getting better, it is getting worse.  It's why going 8-8 or 9-7 is not enough improvement after all the drafts, UFA dollars, coaching changes, and scheme consistency by now.  Deep down, a lot of fans here are afraid to expect a 10+ win season because there's a chance that it won't happen.  It's why, after all the chest thumping, their expectations remain low.  No sense in having a bruised ego from one's favorite team not achieving.  

or maybe people have their own opinion of where this team is actually at.  even then...look at the prediction thread.  many are predicting 10 wins or so.

besides...isn't this what you do?  i honestly don't know a  poster who gets more upset by optimism than you.  the first whiff of it and you finally post to come out.  maybe it's you who so nervous to think the bills may be good because you're the one who can't handle being let down?   i just find it ironic that you're more concerned about what other fans think rather than how the team will be.  work it out with yourself bud.  be happy.

edit:  out of curiosity, how many wins do you predict?  i don't think i've seen your prediction yet.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And of course, the only fix is bringing anyone and everyone who's remotely available. Right?

Exactly--middling Bills teams that went for splashy FA's during "the stretch," including the likes of T.O., Mario, Bledsoe, Merriman, Adams, etc., hardly cured what ailed us--to the contrary, it virtually guaranteed further "middling." This team has been rebuilt from the ground up, organically through the last couple drafts, as well as depth signings in this year's FA period. I mean, can anyone remember a Bills team at least on paper in the last generation, that was this deep at multiple positions, esp. on D?   

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Why is that?  In simple terms, Sentence #1 speaks only to the tagging club.  Sentence #2, as noted in an earlier post, should have been much better written if the intent was to prevent a tagged player from signing a long-term contract with a club other than the tagging club after July 15.  To the extent Sentence #1 reflects that the entirety of the clause is to pertain only to the relationship between the tagging club and the player (not too much of a stretch, given the availability of cleaner, plainer language as noted earlier in the thread), then we have found a loophole.  

Along those lines, Sentence #1 easily could (and probably should) speak to the player, not to the club, e.g., "Any player designated a Franchise Player shall have until . . . July 15 of the League Year . .  for which the designation takes effect to sign with any Club, including the Club designating him a Franchise Player, a multiyear contract or extension."  Boom.  Problem solved.  No room for this debate, and no occasion for a sharp agent/attorney to try to get a client like Clowney leverage and big bucks a year earlier than most would expect. 

I don't mean to offend here, but I'm pretty certain that you're the only person debating this 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Probably either hold out until after the trade deadline, hold out until after week 10 to get his accrued season, or pull a Leveon Bell.

If I wasn't sold on Miami (and why would you)and my team didn't want to pay me; you bet your ass this is what I would do

38 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't mean to offend here, but I'm pretty certain that you're the only person debating this 

The language is unambiguous. Not sure what the problem is in understanding it. If it were unambiguous, it would have been challenged already.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

With all due respect I think this idea took on a life of its own when Mario started complaining about it.   Pretty sure he dropped into coverage on less than 5% of the snaps that year.  The real story was he hit the wall hard at 30, and thought too highly of himself to be a team player.   The guy lost it, and quick.  He made excuses for himself, and negative journalists like Sully ran with it because someone was giving him attention and material.

Was a great player for us.  But Rex wasnt Mario's issue.  He wasnt any better in Miami the next year.

I think this is true. At the time I thought he quit after the London game because before that trip while his numbers were a little down and he wasn't having the impact of the previous years he was still playing decent football. But whatever it was after that game in the greatest city on this fair planet he fell off a cliff. I watched him closely in Miami the following season and he was trying. The body was just no longer able. Rex was a minor contributory factor in his decline the first half of that season but after that it was on Mario's body. He was done. 

Rex was still useless though. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is true. At the time I thought he quit after the London game because before that trip while his numbers were a little down and he wasn't having the impact of the previous years he was still playing decent football. But whatever it was after that game in the greatest city on this fair planet he fell off a cliff. I watched him closely in Miami the following season and he was trying. The body was just no longer able. Rex was a minor contributory factor in his decline the first half of that season but after that it was on Mario's body. He was done. 

Rex was still useless though. 

I never paid attention to him in Miami but watched a lot of the All 22 in his last...5-6 games or so with the Bills.  It certainly looked like he wasn't giving any effort.

He just seemed like a guy who just played football for money.  He made enough now he just felt like coasting.

Edited by Royale with Cheese