Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

59 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Here is what you need to know about the international practice squad spot:

• The NFL will assign the player
  • The team can note a few players of interest
  • If he makes the team after camp, he would count against the 53-man roster
  • The player getting cut after camp would still go through waivers as usual
  • If the team then chooses to re-sign him after clearing waivers he would officially become the 11th practice squad player

Makes a great deal more sense this way than Buffalo having exclusive rights even if they cut him. Yes he was allocated to the Bills but if they choose to release him and another club wants him on the 53, he should be fair game through waivers in my opinion. I'd still love to see clear confirmation one way or another

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Makes a great deal more sense this way than Buffalo having exclusive rights even if they cut him. Yes he was allocated to the Bills but if they choose to release him and another club wants him on the 53, he should be fair game through waivers in my opinion. I'd still love to see clear confirmation one way or another

Imo, based off his limited use they wanted to sneak him on P.S.  After those 2 plays on what 3 or 4 touches that is going to be highly unlikely.  Imo Wade has earned more reps and with the second team offense.  If he continues to make plays you find a spot.  I dont care what the perception of him is.  He has the 2 biggest plays of the preseason on limited touches.  Lets see if he continues to make plays vs better defenders.

8 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

its clear. He either makes the squad or gets cut and goes to waivers. If he gets cut a team can claim him off waivers and put him on their 53 man active roster.  However if he clears waivers the Bill's have the right to include him as the 11th practice squad player. As the 11th PS squad player he is not eligible for call up for the year

My question is if he makes the 53 but gets cut week 1 and clears waivers, and then he is added to the PS after being active is he eligible for call up during the season if needed ?

I will say this I hope he does get a game with 10 or so touches against 1st/2nd stringers because I think it will bring many of the fans here back to reality. 

Edited by ddaryl

He is a terrific story so far, his two plays have made the preseason more palatable. But, like so many RBs in past preseasons, he has made 2 plays against defenders who are going to get cut.

the other reality is that with all the cuts coming at once, teams are looking to keep their own for practice squad or finding positions they need to shore up for backups. Vets with some experience are the ones who will be scooped up. 

Wade is still a big time project. Projects go on the practice squad and he will be on the Bills’ PS. Remember he is also 28 years old and while he doesn’t have football mileage on his legs he does have rugby miles. The only 28 year olds being picked up off waivers are ones who can contribute day one.

great story but too many people are way over their skis on this one which seems to happen almost every preseason with a RB. This one is more unique but same type of thing.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/another-week-another-great-play-104812429.html

Another week, another great play from Bills’ rugby star Christian Wade

When Christian Wade gave up his professional rugby career in his native England to sign with the Bills, few thought he had much of a chance of making it in the NFL. He’s doing his best to make his doubters look dumb.

After running for a 65-yard touchdown in his first preseason carry last week, Wade made another sensational play on Friday night.

cont.....

17 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/another-week-another-great-play-104812429.html

Another week, another great play from Bills’ rugby star Christian Wade

When Christian Wade gave up his professional rugby career in his native England to sign with the Bills, few thought he had much of a chance of making it in the NFL. He’s doing his best to make his doubters look dumb.

After running for a 65-yard touchdown in his first preseason carry last week, Wade made another sensational play on Friday night.

cont.....

Funny link: title and article all Wade, video all about Shady. Interesting comments there, though.  I thought they might talk about Wade  and maybe show a highlight? (One of the only two....) 

I’ll say it again, I have no idea if he can make the 53, or clear waivers for the PS, but I sure do want to see him get more touches. He’s exciting! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

He is a terrific story so far, his two plays have made the preseason more palatable. But, like so many RBs in past preseasons, he has made 2 plays against defenders who are going to get cut.

the other reality is that with all the cuts coming at once, teams are looking to keep their own for practice squad or finding positions they need to shore up for backups. Vets with some experience are the ones who will be scooped up. 

Wade is still a big time project. Projects go on the practice squad and he will be on the Bills’ PS. Remember he is also 28 years old and while he doesn’t have football mileage on his legs he does have rugby miles. The only 28 year olds being picked up off waivers are ones who can contribute day one.

great story but too many people are way over their skis on this one which seems to happen almost every preseason with a RB. This one is more unique but same type of thing.

If it's so easy, why dont the other backs on the roster and around the league make similar plays?  There is something to him.  He isnt a major project in my eyes,  he is a guy you put in space and let him run to open grass.  I'm not asking him to pick up a blitz on third down, I'm throwing him a designed swing pass with a lead blocker, jet sweeps, or screens.

6 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Here is what you need to know about the international practice squad spot:

• The NFL will assign the player
  • The team can note a few players of interest
  • If he makes the team after camp, he would count against the 53-man roster
  • The player getting cut after camp would still go through waivers as usual
  • If the team then chooses to re-sign him after clearing waivers he would officially become the 11th practice squad player

Don't know if this is correct, But I'll put it here.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Lol, 28 is definitely NOT old. I consider that still young and in prime.

He's had a full rugby career, all the associated wear and tear etc. 28 isn't old, but for an NFL RB it is.  Yes, there are exceptions, but I'd rather just keep drafting early 20 year old's and recycling them every 3 -4 years never having to pay them big money. 

Wade is a cool story, but I doubt he makes the 53, they already have too many RB's.

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So he can't be taken off of waivers but at the end of the season he becomes an unrestricted free agent that last part kinda sucks.

If everything is going well with him and the Bills, they could already have a deal in place before he even becomes a free agent. I have a feeling he would give them first crack. The old stigma of no one wants to play for the Bills is finally dying, once they get here players tend to love the team, the fans & the city.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So he can't be taken off of waivers but at the end of the season he becomes an unrestricted free agent that last part kinda sucks.

IF and it's a big IF, the Bills and another team wanted to sign him it will be to an entry 500k type contract.

Being he has been with the Bills I would think he would sign with Buffalo.

7 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The whole question is how are these players treated after cuts.

Do they go thru waivers or not.

That question is not completely defined in the rules we all have read.

It seems to me that someone like John Wawrow needs to ask that question to the Bills Front Office.

Maybe someone here can tweet him to see if he will ask.

Personally I read it as he doesn't go thru waivers but like I said it's not specified.

I tweeted Sal C earlier today no response yet

• Thank you (+1) 1