Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He will be cut. He will be on Bills PS at some point in the season. In the exempted 11th position. 

Very helpful analysis. Do you know how many carries Wade will get in the next two games?  How will he do?

I recognize that the Bills are already so stacked with offensive weapons so there’s really no need to even consider a guy like Wade...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Very helpful analysis. Do you know how many carries Wade will get in the next two games?  How will he do?

I recognize that the Bills are already so stacked with offensive weapons so there’s really no need to even consider a guy like Wade...

The fact he hasn’t been given to much to this point tells me all I need to know. If he knew his assignments and was ready to go he would be getting time against better competition 

57 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The fact he hasn’t been given to much to this point tells me all I need to know. If he knew his assignments and was ready to go he would be getting time against better competition 

And are you sure he won't get more reps during the next two games?  Are you privy to the Bills' future plans?  

Video Analysis: Buffalo Bills running back Christian Wade

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/8/20/20813125/video-analysis-buffalo-bills-running-back-christian-wade

The rest of the plays

Would you be surprised to learn that Wade has appeared in about two dozen plays between the two games? I know I was taken aback a bit. The 20 or so other plays haven’t generated the same buzz, so let’s take some time to talk about these reps.

Who knew?

• Like (+1) 1

OFZ2FAZPP5GLHCO6KMWVRVAFZY.jpg

The Legend of Christian Wade is growing, but Buffalo Bills RB urges patience

If you are a Buffalo Bills fan you know what happened the first time British rugby star Christian Wade touched a football in an NFL preseason game against the Indianapolis Colts.

He ran 65 yards for a touchdown.

And you probably know what happened the second time he touched the ball, in a game against the Carolina Panthers. He caught a short pass and ran 48 yards before he was tripped up on the 2-yard line -- just 72 inches from another touchdown.

If he had just listened to his football coaches he would have followed his blockers on that play, waltzed into the end zone and sent Bills fans into a frenzy. But he relied on his rugby experience and cut toward open field – where he was tackled.

And therein lies the dilemma for the Bills coaching staff: Does Christian Wade, a rugby star, have a future as an NFL rookie? Or does he simply have too much to learn in too short a time?

“You gotta think about it,” said Bills teammate Frank Gore, who is the NFL’s fourth All-Time leading rusher. “It’s his first time playing football. I’ve been playing football since I was 4 years old. I learned the game in Pop Warner and he’s learning it in the NFL, you can’t go no higher than this.”

Wade said he’s loving his time in Buffalo and isn’t thinking about where he’ll be after cut day. Right now he’s seeing gradual improvement and he’s going to continue to progress one step at a time.

For Wade to make it in the NFL he just has to keep growing and getting better every day, Gore said.

“You just gotta keep learning. It’s a tough league,” he said. “I’m just so happy with how fast he’s catching on and having success with guys that have been playing the game since they were kids. He never played the game until now and that’s big.”

• Like (+1) 1

s A few big plays is not enough to make this roster. He needs to be fully developed 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/21/christian-wade-pumps-breaks-on-idea-making-buffalo-bills-roster/

Despite that, Wade said he appreciates all the support, but he knows things are not all that simple in regard to him making the Bills’ final roster. There’s playmaking, yes, but blocking, reading an NFL defense, and plenty of other under the surface things are still new to him and because of that, he thinks his big plays are distracting fans from realizing the deep aspects of the game.

“I don’t know if they’ve been educated and they know the full background. I think people are obviously seeing a football player out there doing football stuff, but they don’t really know the full background,” Wade told NYUP.com.

I guess what disappoints is the fact that Some of our fans don't realize how much more the game is besides busting a long play or 2. Wade does..  which is a great thing. He's dialed in on what it takes to be a pro football player here.

When you don't have the ball in your hand you have dozens of other intricate obligations, and these take time to develop. For most players it was a decade or more of development

Edited by ddaryl

Wade needs a chance to run with the 1’s and 2’s in the third pre season game in the tune of 10-12 touches at least. If he lights it up I am still not sure he makes the 53 unless injury/trades happen at RB- he is safe for now to stash on the practice squad.

3 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Wade needs a chance to run with the 1’s and 2’s in the third pre season game in the tune of 10-12 touches at least. If he lights it up I am still not sure he makes the 53 unless injury/trades happen at RB- he is safe for now to stash on the practice squad.

so you think the coaches and Christian Wade don't know enough  to make the proper decision. Wade himself, (follow link above I posted)  just told you he ain't making this team because he is not ready to play in the NFL, and the fans need to chill.

Edited by ddaryl

The only stat that really matters is whether he’s prone to fumbling the ball. The actual yards per carry difference between most running backs is minimal. I’d love to know if he’s hanging onto the ball in full contact practices. My hunch is that a rugby player would be trained to hang onto the ball! 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The only stat that really matters is whether he’s prone to fumbling the ball. The actual yards per carry difference between most running backs is minimal. I’d love to know if he’s hanging onto the ball in full contact practices. My hunch is that a rugby player would be trained to hang onto the ball! 

the game and position is much more than stats and running the football. Blocking assignment's defensive reads are very complex. We know he can run but can he patiently wait for a hole to open and hit it with authority. Can he choose the right gap to tie up a defender protecting the QB ?

Those things need to be developed.. Even Wade knows this and from what it sounds like he is ready and willing to be a PS player this year. 

So am I correct to assume that if the Bills don't put Wade on the roster, they can designate him to the PS in a protected 11th spot, but they could also waive him, subject him to the waiver wire, and then sign him to the 10-man PS?

Just now, Doc said:

So am I correct to assume that if the Bills don't put Wade on the roster, they can designate him to the PS in a protected 11th spot, but they could also waive him, subject him to the waiver wire, and then sign him to the 10-man PS?

They can place him directly on the PS I believe. If they waive him he is exposed. 

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

If Wade does not make the Bills' final 53-man roster:

• He gets placed on waivers just like every other player with less than four-years service who is released. The waiver period lasts 24 hours. Wade can be claimed by another NFL team. That team would have to place him on their 53-man active roster immediately.

If he clears waivers and is not claimed by another team:

• Wade is eligible to sign-on as one of 10 players on any team’s practice squad, including the Bills' practice squad. In that case, he would be eligible to be activated at any point during the season, or be signed by another club to their 53-man roster. All practice squad players in the league are essentially free agents, free to sign with any team, but must be placed immediate on that team’s 53-man roster if that happens.

• Wade can be signed to the Bills' practice squad as an 11th, roster-exempt player. If that happens, he is ineligible to be activated by the Bills for the the entire season, and also ineligible to sign with another team for the entire season.

The only difference occurs if/when he isn’t signed to a team’s 10-man practice squad. At that time, the Bills can sign him (if he chooses) to their practice squad as an 11th, roster-exempt member, making him ineligible to play in the NFL in 2019.  

Ultimately, Wade has a chance to find work and choose what his best option is before signing with the Bills as that 11th practice squad player.

What is Christian Wade's roster situation?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

13 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

so you think the coaches and Christian Wade don't know enough  to make the proper decision. Wade himself, (follow link above I posted)  just told you he ain't making this team because he is not ready to play in the NFL, and the fans need to chill.

Relax man, it will be ok. My best guess is PS squad for this guy- but it doesn’t hurt to run him with something other than the 3’s. We all understand he is raw and not seasoned- it really isn’t rocket science. 

11 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Relax man, it will be ok. My best guess is PS squad for this guy- but it doesn’t hurt to run him with something other than the 3’s. We all understand he is raw and not seasoned- it really isn’t rocket science. 

I'm relaxed just confused at the inability of some Bills fans to separate fantasy from reality here. For some here it is rocket science if you back track through the pages of this thread.

I do share the sentiment of the underdog. I'm pulling for him long term.  But it makes NO sense at all to give him reps with the 1s this week. Imagine he might see a few plays with the 2s. But week 3 is the final regular season tune up for the starters

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

If Wade does not make the Bills' final 53-man roster:

• He gets placed on waivers just like every other player with less than four-years service who is released. The waiver period lasts 24 hours. Wade can be claimed by another NFL team. That team would have to place him on their 53-man active roster immediately.

If he clears waivers and is not claimed by another team:

• Wade is eligible to sign-on as one of 10 players on any team’s practice squad, including the Bills' practice squad. In that case, he would be eligible to be activated at any point during the season, or be signed by another club to their 53-man roster. All practice squad players in the league are essentially free agents, free to sign with any team, but must be placed immediate on that team’s 53-man roster if that happens.

• Wade can be signed to the Bills' practice squad as an 11th, roster-exempt player. If that happens, he is ineligible to be activated by the Bills for the the entire season, and also ineligible to sign with another team for the entire season.

The only difference occurs if/when he isn’t signed to a team’s 10-man practice squad. At that time, the Bills can sign him (if he chooses) to their practice squad as an 11th, roster-exempt member, making him ineligible to play in the NFL in 2019.  

Ultimately, Wade has a chance to find work and choose what his best option is before signing with the Bills as that 11th practice squad player.

What is Christian Wade's roster situation?

So if he has to be wavied if he doesn't make the Bills' roster, the Bills have a decision to make as to whether they think someone will claim him.  I doubt it but it just takes 1 team out of 31 to do it.  And if he does make it through waivers, I'd sign him to the 10-man PS.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

So if he has to be wavied if he doesn't make the Bills' roster, the Bills have a decision to make as to whether they think someone will claim him.  I doubt it but it just takes 1 team out of 31 to do it.  And if he does make it through waivers, I'd sign him to the 10-man PS.

He can be waived and if no one claims him he may be placed on the PS squad and be eligible to be called up (Not 100% on that). There seems to be conflicting info on the internet about this.

However if he is placed on the PS squad using the 11th man designation for international players he is ineligible for call ups

Edited by ddaryl