I hate directv! (rant)

Steptide

11 minutes ago, boater said:

Reading everyone's woes, seems they can be solved by one of three options:

1.  Having a Granny in Buffalo. Install a Slingbox in her house.

2. NFL DTV streaming.. using a VPN to disguise your location.

3. Move to WNY. That's a bit hardcore, but it worked form me.

I'm all in for option No. 3. But my wife won't quit her damn job!

4 hours ago, Steptide said:

I'm venting here, I need to get it all out because my wife doesnt seem to understand. 

Last night, like all of us, I was looking forward to watching the bills. I have not had CBS since the beginning of July and not had ABC since June. I was plenty aware the bills games would be on CBS. First thing I did was bought 2 over the air antennas. One was a cheap 10 dollar one and the other a powered 75 dollar one (both indoor). Anyway, neither of those worked, so I bit the bullet and subscribed to YouTube TV which includes all local channels. As much as I hate paying for both directv and a streaming TV service, at least I'd be able to watch my bills. 

Low and behold, YouTube had the bills game blocked on CBS last night and directv has no CBS where I live. I tried in a fit of rage to get my antenna working but no luck. I called directv and lost my mind on them. After that I attempted to watch the game via the bills app, but the stream was sketchy at best. Very pixalated and constantly cutting out. 

I called directv back again (to see if there was a way I could watch ppv) and the woman told me that CBS and directv agreed to a deal and I should have cbs (which I didnt). She then transfers me to tech support who tells me that CBS DID reach a deal, just not where I live. I'm almost to the point of getting spectrum, and paying for both services. Only reason I won't cancel directv is the Sunday Ticket. I can't be the only one in this boat? 

I emailed my local cbs programming person. She said that the only preseason game that will be streamed is the 8/23 game. The regular season will all be streamed. I switched from direct tv to YouTube tv and saved $100 per month

I love my over the air antenna.  I pick up all the locals, and I get HD CBC playoff hockey from April to June.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

For some reason CBS came back on last night in the Los Angeles area.  Did someone cave?

The big dog (The SHield) will do that.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You can buy and stream Sunday ticket over the internet without a dtv subscription. 

Ive have Sunday ticket for 6 years and have never had direct tv

How is the streaming quality?  Does it allow you to record and playback or pause?

6 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

How is the streaming quality?  Does it allow you to record and playback or pause?

Well since I’m a Bills football crack ***** I watch live stream on dtv Sunday ticket and buy game rewind to rewatch condensed version. 

I think you you can use some of the dvr ish function but it’s not elegant.stream quality was lousey in the first few games of the first few seasons. I’ve found it to be nearly flawless the last 2-3 seasons. 

**Edit** Nice bad bad word block mods.. works quite well. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

My gripe is with NFL Network.  They were scheduled to air the Cards/Bolts at 10pm last night, and I was excited to get a first look at the new Murray/Kingsbury offense.  At ~9:50, I turned it on to find the 4th quarter of the Bills/Colts game.  Awesome; I'll get to watch my Bills until the other game starts.  But no; they stuck with the Bills game until the end.  When they finally switched to Cards/Bolts, it was the beginning of the 2nd quarter & the starters were long gone.  Granted, I'm a Bills fan, but I still can't believe the NFL Network would be so dense as to treat the 4th quarter of a pre-season game like it was the playoffs.

Edited by Buffalo86

5 hours ago, Marv Levy said:

I tried Reddit NFL Streams last night. It was choppy at first, but i was actually able to watch most of it no problem. I'm surprised the NFL is going bonkers about the Reddit website stream! Anybody else watch it thru Reddit? Just curious.

Yes.  I had 2 streams to chose from and both seemed fine.  The one I chose conked out on me maybe twice, but a quick reload got it up and running again.  

2 hours ago, Luvbills said:

It came on in some markets...not others. At least that's what the person at DTV told me last night. She also told me it would be on in all markets shortly..pretty sure that was a lie

It came on in the big markets most which had NFL teams 

they are likely weeding out the smaller markets now I don’t expect it to be blacked out when the season starts 

• Like (+1) 1

I have never heard a rant about loving DirectTV.

I actually got a sales call from them today and I just played with them for a while finally telling them I would not buy because preseason game was not available.  The reaction on phone was "PRESEASON GAME?" and I answered yes and hung up.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Marv Levy said:

I tried Reddit NFL Streams last night. It was choppy at first, but i was actually able to watch most of it no problem. I'm surprised the NFL is going bonkers about the Reddit website stream! Anybody else watch it thru Reddit? Just curious.

Been using Reddit last couple of years now every week.   For the most part a very stable site

8 hours ago, tbarg12 said:

Yeah I watched it on Reddit, besides the occasional window closing because of an ad, it really wasn't that bad. 

I watched the about the last five minutes of the Lions game on a Reddit stream on my phone last year and was shocked how well the stream came in without interruption. And this was while riding passenger in a car through some desolate areas.

I think DirecTV is really screwing up here. Majority of NFL viewers under the age of 30 probably watch via streaming, legal or otherwise. Now with all this crap going on they are going to push the older folks to these streaming platforms more quickly.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yes.  I had 2 streams to chose from and both seemed fine.  The one I chose conked out on me maybe twice, but a quick reload got it up and running again.  

I did the same for the first time last night. Mine had a little lag here and there,but overall was decent. Especially for free.

5 hours ago, Yav said:

I’m not sure about in your area, but I dumped cable and cords and purchased Roku TVs when I moved and installed the DirectTV now app, I get all the network stations and HBO for $55/mo. 

I can only use 2 TVs at a time but it’s just me so no biggie, I thing you can add more for $10 each. 

I can also get SundayTicket and it uses an app as well. 

How is it you can get Sunday Ticket by streaming? Don't they have a bunch of restrictions on that? Like you have to live in an apartment complex that doesn't allow satellites or be a college student in a dorm room? So basically a minuscule percentage of the population is eligible to stream Sunday Ticket that way without an actual DirecTV subscription. 

11 hours ago, Steptide said:

Only reason I won't cancel directv is the Sunday Ticket.

You don't need DirecTV to get Sunday Ticket. Just say you rent the house and your landlord won't allow it; or if you live in an apartment, say the complex won't allow it.

11 hours ago, Marv Levy said:

Wow, in the old BBMB, any posts talking about illegal streams would have been deleted. I am glad it is allowed here.

Edited by from_dunkirk

Me too. Might look into YouTube TV or switch to spectrum.

16 hours ago, Steptide said:

I'm venting here, I need to get it all out because my wife doesnt seem to understand. 

Last night, like all of us, I was looking forward to watching the bills. I have not had CBS since the beginning of July and not had ABC since June. I was plenty aware the bills games would be on CBS. First thing I did was bought 2 over the air antennas. One was a cheap 10 dollar one and the other a powered 75 dollar one (both indoor). Anyway, neither of those worked, so I bit the bullet and subscribed to YouTube TV which includes all local channels. As much as I hate paying for both directv and a streaming TV service, at least I'd be able to watch my bills. 

Low and behold, YouTube had the bills game blocked on CBS last night and directv has no CBS where I live. I tried in a fit of rage to get my antenna working but no luck. I called directv and lost my mind on them. After that I attempted to watch the game via the bills app, but the stream was sketchy at best. Very pixalated and constantly cutting out. 

I called directv back again (to see if there was a way I could watch ppv) and the woman told me that CBS and directv agreed to a deal and I should have cbs (which I didnt). She then transfers me to tech support who tells me that CBS DID reach a deal, just not where I live. I'm almost to the point of getting spectrum, and paying for both services. Only reason I won't cancel directv is the Sunday Ticket. I can't be the only one in this boat? 

how can they reach a deal but not in all areas!?!? What kind of BS is this!! Just checked and nope!! They have to make a deal with every region ????

Call center workers who 4 days ago said they'd send me a free antenna that plugs into my cable box for local channels, only to tell me last night that this antenna they were supposed to send (which they didn't and never told they wernt sending it) doesnt work with my directv box? Yes, innocent call center employees who are other countries and can't understand what I'm asking 

exactly! Sick of these foreigners, dont no $#!t and i have to explain to them whats going on.

16 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Direct TV / ATT doesn't care about customers anymore.  Cable is not a profitable division for them, they are launching their own app soon and are waging a price war with local channels all over the country (in Columbus we haven't had NBC for 2 months).

So they are going to stream??

Wonder if their ridiculous prices will come down?

I went through the same thing.   I called and ended my service with them during the game I couldnt watch and told them I wouldnt be paying the fees because they werent honoring their end of the contracr.

Spectrum was at my house 10 hours later hooking up my cable.  I get cbs again and wont be missing anymore games.