Sign in to follow this  
John from Riverside

My way too early thought...Beane crushed this draft

I still have doubts about Singletary's ability to be "the guy" especially early.... but in a 3rd down role and as a change of pace he is a very useful weapon.

Agreed overall though. It is very early but I liked this draft instantly and early on field indications are positive. 

• Like (+1) 1

...gotta love the "Size up Eds Critics"..........Cowgirls had Ed "Too Tall " Jones and we have Ed "Too Small" Oliver....if "Too Small" is equal to or greater than "Too Tall", we should be just fine......

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I still have doubts about Singletary's ability to be "the guy" especially early.... but in a 3rd down role and as a change of pace he is a very useful weapon.

Agreed overall though. It is very early but I liked this draft instantly and early on field indications are positive. 

Maybe the future plan is not to have a "the guy" running back

I mean.....its easy this year...but probably Shady's last year.....Who knows with Gore

The rugby is very interesting....but inexperienced....maybe they go to more a 2 back slit carry system next year?

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Maybe the future plan is not to have a "the guy" running back

I mean.....its easy this year...but probably Shady's last year.....Who knows with Gore

The rugby is very interesting....but inexperienced....maybe they go to more a 2 back slit carry system next year?

I think they work Singletary and maybe Wade (if he continues to show something) more as the season wears on and then say "sayonara" to Shady and Gore and go RBC from then on out.

Olivers strength and quickness off the ball is crazy. We very well may have the best defense in the league this year. And were young, its pretty scary how good they can be. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m all in on Beane. I think he has nailed everything so far - the trades, the picks, seeing the potential of Allen.

As always, the proof is in the pudding, and this team needs to perform and put up a good record.  I like how it’s looking though.  He just seems to get it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

I’m all in on Beane. I think he has nailed everything so far - the trades, the picks, seeing the potential of Allen.

As always, the proof is in the pudding, and this team needs to perform and put up a good record.  I like how it’s looking though.  He just seems to get it.

I agree with this.

The Pegulas could extend McDermott and Beane to 10-yr extensions today, and I would be happy with that. Oh, I know it is too early for that, but I'm just sayin'....

McDermott and Beane have a plan - have you ever seen that from a Bills' FO? They are working the plan, and showing some success.

It is not too early to say Beane is the best GM we've had since Polian.  Any counterarguments?  No?

John Butler - no.

Donahoe - oh hell no.

Marv Levy LOL

Russ Brandon LMFAO

Buddy Nix nope.

Doug Whaley had potential but two words: "it factor" sum up his drafting philosophy.

Its too early to say he's better than Polian but it may well be true.

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I agree, John, but I get the feeling Sean doesn’t -as pertains to Joseph. Yes, he loves being aloof about rookies -especially on Defense. But he was still very critical of Vosean in his presser within the hour. He’s the Coach, so I give him the benefit. But I hope he doesn’t cut him thinking he’ll be available to sign to the PS. The kid is savage, if somewhat undisciplined. I’m confident he’ll be snatched up before we get the chance to sign him to PS.

I certainly don’t KNOW, but I suspect it was motivational, as much as anything.  I didn’t even see it, but I wonder if it’s a bit like not starting Ed with he 1’s. Earn it, young man! 

Obviously I’m guessing. 

• Like (+1) 1

If Ford and Oliver are studs and there is one other productive starting caliber player from this draft this could be possibly the third draft in a row where they produced 3 or more starting caliber players. 

2017- Tre White, Dion Dawkins, and Matt Milano (Jury still out on Zay although I would lean towards him being a bust.) 

2018- Edumonds-Josh Allen (potentially)-Taron Johnson-H.Phillips (potentially)- Teller (Possibly)

2019- Ford- Oliver- and Vance or another player. 

2017 is looking like 3 starters or better players although 2018 and 2019 still have to play out. But the early returns on 2017 and 2018 are looking good. This is how a team turn around is built through multiple years of good to great drafting. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He’s small, and he lacks top speed, but I think he’ll be interesting to watch based on the very little DTV allowed me to see. 

Like the Cardinals, I won’t say it will be great, but I will say it will be interesting. Fingers crossed! 

I wonder where all those guys are that was calling for Beane's head a few month's ago ? It's pretty much a given now that Beane has forgotten more about football than those folks ever knew about it !! 

He's building something special here & i think the relationship with McD is just a perk they work well together & i think are on the same page when it comes to building the Bills into a play off caliber team for years to come !! 

The Pegs have to be ecstatic with the hire of these 2 ... 🙌

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/9/2019 at 12:00 PM, John from Riverside said:

Ed Oliver - we got a little lucky here draft was but thats ok.....we are due.   Ed Oliver looks special.....285 pounds AND taking ON DOUBLE TEAMS IN THE NFL.....AGAINST STARTERS.....comes in and gives last year's media darling OG for the colts Nelson in his first game and is just....well really really good.   It was great that we didnt have to trade up to get him because it allowed for more good picks.

Cody Ford - he is straight up mauling ppl.....no way he should have fallen out fo the 1st but did....good at RT....very good at RG

Devin Singletary - making plays all camp....made plays in his first PS game.....Beane did his homework and saw a player that was under utilized in the passing game and a rookie that can actually pass protect.  Is in a nice position where he doesn thave to be "the guy" but I have every confidence he could do so if asked.

Knox - injured....jury is out

Vosean Joseph - I think he is a ST's demon this year and slips into Lorax spot next year....this guy flat knocks the stuffing out of folks man a NICE later round pick.

Jaquan Johnson - I feel like he is kinda getting caught up in numbers where we have a lot of good players.....jury still otu

Darryl Johnson - having a good camp.....made plays in his first PS game.....I dont think you can take the chance of trying to PS stashing this guy because his size, weight, length, speed combo is special AND he is making plays......how did Beane find this guy in the last round of the draft?

Beane is KILLING IT

sorry i didn't read through these first, but i couldn't agree more! i think d. johnson is gonna be another dwight freeney. ed reed said that j. johnson has the talent to be a perrennial pro-bowler. even sweeney should make the 53. my point being that i don't think there's one pick they can put on the p.s without them getting poached in an hour. i feel sorry for eddy y. , but with love and johnson, idk, i wish they could keep them all. we are gonna probably let shaq walk. murphy may have a comeback, but who knows?

can they kick shaq inside next to oliver on passing downs? can they keep 9 dlinemen? 2x phillipps / star / oliver and shaq? then trent / hughes / love and johnson?

vosean joseph i think is going to be the headhunter we need. i think they killed this draft. sweeney is gonna be great. i can't see one lasting on the p.s.....maybe ufda sills?

2 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

sorry i didn't read through these first, but i couldn't agree more! i think d. johnson is gonna be another dwight freeney. ed reed said that j. johnson has the talent to be a perrennial pro-bowler. even sweeney should make the 53. my point being that i don't think there's one pick they can put on the p.s without them getting poached in an hour. i feel sorry for eddy y. , but with love and johnson, idk, i wish they could keep them all. we are gonna probably let shaq walk. murphy may have a comeback, but who knows?

can they kick shaq inside next to oliver on passing downs? can they keep 9 dlinemen? 2x phillipps / star / oliver and shaq? then trent / hughes / love and johnson?

vosean joseph i think is going to be the headhunter we need. i think they killed this draft. sweeney is gonna be great. i can't see one lasting on the p.s.....maybe ufda sills?

With all the talk on Clowney I do wonder if Lawson plus a 3rd would get that deal done....I dont want to give up a lot of future assets but could live with that.....D. Johnson might make a move like this more possible?

Sills is completely unimpressive......he just gets pushed around too much and drops too many balls for a "big" wide receiver

On 8/9/2019 at 12:48 PM, freddyjj said:

I guess that's because you feel Vosean Joseph and Darryl Johnson will make the 53 man active roster?

Eddie Lacey and Eddie Yarborough/Mike Love hope you're correct.  Guess time will tell

between lacy and stanford, i'd give the edge to stanford. so let's see, that would be....lorax / edmunds and milano with..thompson / stanford and vosean.

man i never thought i'd see a roster where i couldn't figure out an idea of just 53. i'm sure i'm gonna be bummed at some cuts.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

between lacy and stanford, i'd give the edge to stanford. so let's see, that would be....lorax / edmunds and milano with..thompson / stanford and vosean.

man i never thought i'd see a roster where i couldn't figure out an idea of just 53. i'm sure i'm gonna be bummed at some cuts.

Dont forget Acho who we just signed and has been a viable player for the bears on a good defense for years

Cuts are gonna be VERY tough

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Dont forget Acho who we just signed and has been a viable player for the bears on a good defense for years

Cuts are gonna be VERY tough

hey John fyi I heard on wgr that Acho will be competing at DE not LB in Bills D.

Doesn't make decisions clearer

Edited by freddyjj

Just now, freddyjj said:

hey John I heard on wgr that Acho will be competing at DE not LB in Bills D

Thanks for letting me know....:) 

I still do wonder if bringing him in signals a possible move like moving Shaq Lawson?

He is one of the few remaining players from the Rex Ryan era

Not signed for next year (like Clowney)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Thanks for letting me know....:) 

I still do wonder if bringing him in signals a possible move like moving Shaq Lawson?

He is one of the few remaining players from the Rex Ryan era

Not signed for next year (like Clowney)

hmmm  - never thought of it that way.  Could be

Acho gave way to Mack in CHI.  Very smart and assignment sound player.  

On 8/9/2019 at 3:59 PM, Nihilarian said:

And all this with a brand new scouting staff after Whaley was fired after the 2017 draft. 

Yea brand new because he overreacted, fired all and then after he actually looked at them more closely brought 3 back.

This is part of Coach McD's "dump the baby with the bath water" philosophy.

It is also why we got a lot of bad coaches who only lasted one year.

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

With all the talk on Clowney I do wonder if Lawson plus a 3rd would get that deal done....I dont want to give up a lot of future assets but could live with that.....D. Johnson might make a move like this more possible?

Sills is completely unimpressive......he just gets pushed around too much and drops too many balls for a "big" wide receiver

No on Clowney. 

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

No on Clowney. 

Thats how i feel, because they would have to give up draft capital to get him.  Now if they could trade a player maybe 2 to get him I would consider it.  

2 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Thats how i feel, because they would have to give up draft capital to get him.  Now if they could trade a player maybe 2 to get him I would consider it.  

I wouldn't trade for him period.  Besides the trade compensation, he''ll want a huge new contract despite the fact that he's never had even 10 sacks in a season, despite playing on a line with Watt.  Or he'll play out the year and leave in FA.

• Like (+1) 1

I think in one series during the Colts game, Barkley handed off to Singletary something like nine plays in a row. People say that preseason games are meaningless, but I love them. I love watching players battle for spots on the roster, but I also love to see a coach like McDermott give a rookie RB back a pounding to see what he's made of. It's a shame Knox wasn't out there-- maybe he would have gotten his first touchdown. But, I suspect we will see him soon enough.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I wouldn't trade for him period.  Besides the trade compensation, he''ll want a huge new contract despite the fact that he's never had even 10 sacks in a season, despite playing on a line with Watt.  Or he'll play out the year and leave in FA.

To be honest Im not a big fan of him,  but if the trade compensation is low like players who may not make the 53 or make the 53 any better, why not?

This year cap space is no issue, and I believe he could be franchised. If he has a good year franchise him and trade for draft capital.   Or  trade him during the season the deadline is after 7 games, there just might be a team that is banged up  need a pass rusher bad. 

The biggest problem I see is we already have a solid DE rotation.