Mass shooting at El Paso Walmart/and also Dayton OH

Damn. Keep your head on a swivel while shopping for those groceries and other whatnots....

Very sad...

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/police-el-paso-issue-report-active-shooter-173500204--abc-news-topstories.html

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/active-shooter-incident-being-investigated-dayton-ohio-police-075400231--abc-news-topstories.html

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

32 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

So goes life today. 20 years ago this would have stopped everyone in their tracks. Now it's barely a blip on the radar.

I hear you. We had Whitman in 1966, Huberty in the 80's and now it seems like every week we have a new shooter. I remember those two names but none of the others.

1 hour ago, The Plastic Cup said:

Very sad.

I wonder how the media was able to so quickly ascertain they were primarily “back to school” shoppers.

I'm sure a lot of them were. A low-level Walmart employee would be able to notice the difference in the customer demographics.

It's this sentence that doesn't make sense: "...and what authorities have preliminarily estimated to be between 1,000 and 3,000 Saturday morning back-to-school shoppers." It just put the back-to-school-shopper label on everyone in there.

We're kinda nit-picking a basic news story at this point, though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm sure a lot of them were. A low-level Walmart employee would be able to notice the difference in the customer demographics.

It's this sentence that doesn't make sense: "...and what authorities have preliminarily estimated to be between 1,000 and 3,000 Saturday morning back-to-school shoppers." It just put the back-to-school-shopper label on everyone in there.

I’m guessing a certain % of them were too, but is that all it takes to be included in the first paragraph of the story these days?

Apparently a mass murder isn’t moving enough (read:  won’t attract enough clicks) unless you can create an image of happy families shopping for backpacks and notebooks.

And yes, 1000-3000 is a little broad!

2 minutes ago, The Plastic Cup said:

I’m guessing a certain % of them were too, but is that all it takes to be included in the first paragraph of the story these days?

Apparently a mass murder isn’t moving enough (read:  won’t attract enough clicks) unless you can create an image of happy families shopping for backpacks and notebooks.

And yes, 1000-3000 is a little broad!

Well, a journalist is supposed to paint a picture. Journalists want to draw people into the story and add emotional details. Of course, it should all be factual.

The sentence I pointed out is an issue because it's very very likely a false statement.

The headline is what generates clicks, though, and that headline does not include "back to school shoppers"

JC!  The whole county is worse than Chicago!

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

e0986eb05353ccec0c98b95efab3e60d.jpg

There isn't a news article about Dayton yet, but in the past several hours, 75 Americans have now been hit by bullets of domestic terrorism in Texas and Ohio.

What's it gonna take? A live stream? It happening on live TV so people actually feel it?

Who's next? My daughter?

How many people have to die?

Before you leave your house, I guess you have to actively weigh the risk of possibly having your head blown off and ask yourself if it's worth it.

292 mass shootings in the USA this year alone. And yet the NRA continues to buy politicians, and selfish Americans continue to cling to their "right" to hold guns designed to maximize kill rates.

I love my country, but individualism is destroying us. We need to care about our neighbors.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

There isn't a news article about Dayton yet, but in the past several hours, 75 Americans have now been hit by bullets of domestic terrorism in Texas and Ohio.

What's it gonna take? A live stream? It happening on live TV so people actually feel it?

Who's next? My daughter?

How many people have to die?

Before you leave your house, I guess you have to actively weigh the risk of possibly having your head blown off and ask yourself if it's worth it.

292 mass shootings in the USA this year alone. And yet the NRA continues to buy politicians, and selfish Americans continue to cling to their "right" to hold guns designed to maximize kill rates.

I love my country, but individualism is destroying us. We need to care about our neighbors.

Damn, didn't know about the Ohio shootings until now. Just woke up good and saw what you were talking about. It's a shame, your right though, makes you wonder who/where's next.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/active-shooter-incident-being-investigated-dayton-ohio-police-075400231--abc-news-topstories.html

....and yet ANOTHER....SMH...........

Dayton, Ohio, gunfire results in 10 deaths, including gunman; at least 16 wounded: police

By Dom Calicchio | Fox News

Ten people were killed early Sunday when gunfire broke out in Dayton, Ohio, according to police. The number of fatalities included the gunman, though how the unidentified shooter died was not immediately clear.

It was the nation's second mass shooting in less than 24 hours, after 20 people were slain in El Paso, Texas.

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

TBH these have always been happening 

TBH, that statement, while true, is asinine. (IMO)

You may feel that the "standards" used are too lax, but Dayton makes it 250 for the year.  While there have always been "mass shootings" the numbers today are staggering.  Way too much hatred intolerance and entitlement.

Edited by Cripple Creek
more better good words used
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

TBH, that statement, while true, is asinine. (IMO)

You may feel that the "standards" used are too lax, but Dayton makes it 250 for the year.  While there have always been "mass shootings" the numbers today are staggering.  Way too much hatred.

More people in this world bring more crime. Simple as that. Same % of crazy people but just more of them in this world. 

You won't see this die down until something kills most of this human race. It is coming b.c either the earth will correct what we are doing by killing us or something else will do it.