No Women's World Cup thread?

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

maybe.  

I know far more people who will watch the women play and not watch the men play at all.  

If I wanted to see players flopping I'd watch professional wrestling.

:lol: I know more people who would rather watch the USWNT as well, but that doesn't mean much. I'll preface by saying I enjoy watching both equally.

That said, many more people like watching the USMNT. In 2014, 24.7 million people in the US watched the men tie Portugal in group play. This final had 14.3 million viewers. If the men make the next world cup, most of their games will beat this final for viewership (well, as long as the games aren't live at like 5am).

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

my statement had nothing to do at all if they should be paid more or less etc..it was simply the article from the National Review is disingenuous.and tries to make the Womens equal pay fight all about World Cup earnings, and only World Cup earnings..and that is just flat out wrong. Both sides of the media unfortunately slant things they way they want .

The mens and womens team are on completely different pay structures..salaries and bonus for women vs strictly bonuses for men etc...there will be lawyers and laws involved that have nothing to do with revenue generation unfortunately.

Here is my solution. Two separate US Soccer Federations. No more bundling of TV contracts or endorsements. Let each stand on its own. That's the fairest thing.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

:lol: I know more people who would rather watch the USWNT as well, but that doesn't mean much. I'll preface by saying I enjoy watching both equally.

That said, many more people like watching the USMNT. In 2014, 24.7 million people in the US watched the men tie Portugal in group play. This final had 14.3 million viewers. If the men make the next world cup, most of their games will beat this final for viewership (well, as long as the games aren't live at like 5am).

i do too....what is interesting and i have no clue the answer...what telecast draw larger audiences and thus bigger TV contracts in non World Cup games. I think a lot of folks prolly like me..watch the World Cup, yes..but friendlies and qualifiers? Not so much unless its win and your in and lose you are out. 

as you mentioned above..i think separating them would be great as well..then no whining from either side. Maybe there is a reason that can't be done?

Edited by plenzmd1

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i do too....what is interesting and i have no clue the answer...what telecast draw larger audiences and thus bigger TV contracts in non World Cup games. I think a lot of folks prolly like me..watch the World Cup, yes..but friendlies and qualifiers? Not so much unless its win and your in and lose you are out. 

as you mentioned above..i think separating them would be great as well..then no whining from either side. Maybe there is a reason that can't be done?

The women have been great for quite some time. Since 99, they've been on the rise but still could never support themselves. I think that in the last decade, they really started to stand on their own. Prior to that, they needed to piggyback on the revenue generated by the men. Similar to how the WNBA wouldn't exist if they weren't subsidized by the NBA.

I honestly think the USWNT would survive or even thrive on its own now. I think PR would likely be the only thing that stopped it. One nation, one team and all.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

1 hour ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

The women have been great for quite some time. Since 99, they've been on the rise but still could never support themselves. I think that in the last decade, they really started to stand on their own. Prior to that, they needed to piggyback on the revenue generated by the men. Similar to how the WNBA wouldn't exist if they weren't subsidized by the NBA.

I honestly think the USWNT would survive or even thrive on its own now. I think PR would likely be the only thing that stopped it. One nation, one team and all.

It’s like most traditional Olympic events, good to watch when it all meshes every few years but has no serious support outside of those few times.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Here is my solution. Two separate US Soccer Federations. No more bundling of TV contracts or endorsements. Let each stand on its own. That's the fairest thing.

We wouldn't have a mens team because they would need to play for free.  The men currently lose money every year while the women print money.

34 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

We wouldn't have a mens team because they would need to play for free.  The men currently lose money every year while the women print money.

:lol: K

• Like (+1) 1

$$$ comes from getting people to pay for LONG LONG LONG regular seasons and the TV $$$$ on top of it

this sport isn't going to demand it, all best wishes and godspeed to it

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

my statement had nothing to do at all if they should be paid more or less etc..it was simply the article from the National Review is disingenuous.and tries to make the Womens equal pay fight all about World Cup earnings, and only World Cup earnings..and that is just flat out wrong. Both sides of the media unfortunately slant things they way they want .

The mens and womens team are on completely different pay structures..salaries and bonus for women vs strictly bonuses for men etc...there will be lawyers and laws involved that have nothing to do with revenue generation unfortunately.

I think you've nailed it here.  The WaPo article seems to factor in all the revenue streams - if it's the same article I read a few days ago.................Anybody saying it's only about the World Cup or anybody just saying they're more popular etc. are taking a side without taking all the factors into it.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, bbb said:

I think you've nailed it here.  The WaPo article seems to factor in all the revenue streams - if it's the same article I read a few days ago.................Anybody saying it's only about the World Cup or anybody just saying they're more popular etc. are taking a side without taking all the factors into it.  

again, it's like the Olympics and then people forget about it till the next time.

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I have no problem with her calling out Trump but why is she kneeling during our national anthem on an international stage?  The sacrifices previous generations have made for her in this country has allowed her to live a privileged life where she could focus on soccer at an early age and pry got a free ride through college.  She just seems like a selfish attention seeker to me. 

She and a bunch of professional athletes were kneeling to bring awareness to law enforcement/police issues.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

She and a bunch of professional athletes were kneeling to bring awareness to law enforcement/police issues.

Did you see the story in SF with the father and son at the apartment complex. The father is absolutely right to be vigilant.  He wasn't profiling race... JUST dumbasses that don't follow protocols, acceptable behavior that lessens the chance of looking suspicious.  Unfortunately, the young kid is being brainwashed early by the SJWs to not trust his gut.  It may get him hurt, robbed, killed some day! And race will have nothing to do with it!

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

looked more like a desperate attempt at a Nike deal

The team should be congratulated for its accomplishments.  I'm always happy for the US to win championships in international sports.

However, I find the 2019 team really unlikable and obnoxious.  The team's accomplishment has been largely overshadowed by Megan Rapinoe's thirst for publicity.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Well there are a lot of people who apparently don’t care about women’s soccer talking about it so I’d say they accomplished their goal.

It’s called the flavour of the week, shoved down on us constantly by our sports media outlets.

then it’s gone....  like the wind...

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It’s called the flavour of the week, shoved down on us constantly by our sports media outlets.

then it’s gone....  like the wind...

This. There's nothing more sad than American soccer dreamers. We're not Europe, thank God.

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

This. There's nothing more sad than American soccer dreamers. We're not Europe, thank God.

It was good fun for people with kids who play the game, and the US sure loves to hand out scholarships for this sport.

Another niche sport is the LPGA, when dared to look at the money leaders it is mostly South Korean, to the point where the leader has SIX on her name because she’s the 6th of that name that needs to be identified.

58 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It was good fun for people with kids who play the game, and the US sure loves to hand out scholarships for this sport.

A friend of mine has two soccer-playing daughters who received ‘full-boat’ scholarships at Union College!  (very nice young ladies too - I’ll have to ask them how they really feel about the antics of this World Cup team.)

Rapinoe was on Kimmel last nite - he brought her out during the last five minutes, and I changed the channel immediately.

Her 15 minutes are over.

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

Rapinoe was on Kimmel last nite - he brought her out during the last five minutes, and I changed the channel immediately.

Her 15 minutes are over.

I would have liked to see it.  I’ll look it up on YouTube.  Her latest round of tweets seemed almost diplomatic, as if she knew people were getting sick of her and she should tone it down. 

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Boooooo

so many fortunes have been made trying to transplant the game in North America, Pele and Best and Chinaglia couldn't do it in the mid 1970s....

there just isn't the interest to make it compete with the big sports and other major attractions of interest

we are up for Euros Championships and World Cups though, every 2 summers something is vital

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

so many fortunes have been made trying to transplant the game in North America, Pele and Best and Chinaglia couldn't do it in the mid 1970s....

there just isn't the interest to make it compete with the big sports and other major attractions of interest

we are up for Euros Championships and World Cups though, every 2 summers something is vital

I tend to agree. It's probably always going to be a niche sport w/ a dedicated following...I think the MLS averages third in avg stadium attendance behind NFL and MBL ahead of NBA and NHL...it's growing but not enough to generate the kind of $$ from TV you need as a league to take the next step. 

41 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I tend to agree. It's probably always going to be a niche sport w/ a dedicated following...I think the MLS averages third in avg stadium attendance behind NFL and MBL ahead of NBA and NHL...it's growing but not enough to generate the kind of $$ from TV you need as a league to take the next step. 

Toronto has a hardcore MLS following, I see them gathering to march a few miles to the stadium near my place on game day.

if the US men could compete at the top it would help, but that is asking a ton considering the systems in place in Europe and the streets of South America to grow the game.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

Unfortunately, I think things are changing with this new generation.  They seem to actually like soccer.  

13 hours ago, bbb said:

Unfortunately, I think things are changing with this new generation.  They seem to actually like soccer.  

Been hearing this since.... 1974... 

its the “Olympics Fever” for two weeks every four years people enjoy a sport but supply and demand still rule the world

kids love the game, if you get bored you can sit down on the field and pick daisies

58 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Been hearing this since.... 1974... 

its the “Olympics Fever” for two weeks every four years people enjoy a sport but supply and demand still rule the world

kids love the game, if you get bored you can sit down on the field and pick daisies

I know what you're saying.  I always thought it was funny that soccer was "the fastest growing sport in the country" ever since I was born!...........................But, people in their 20s seem to really be into it this time.  

14 minutes ago, bbb said:

I know what you're saying.  I always thought it was funny that soccer was "the fastest growing sport in the country" ever since I was born!...........................But, people in their 20s seem to really be into it this time.  

it is hard to follow a sport when you can’t go to the best games, or any honestly decent games, and don’t hold a serious connection to a home country that loves the sport

it’s a niche or cult interest, when I coached it the kids didn’t have a clue who the best players were and no vision of the strategy of the game at the highest levels

as if 13 year olds were playing basketball without knowing who LeBron James was and had watched maybe 3 hours total of the NBA and had no idea what a fast break was

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, bbb said:

The kids like it because they like everything eurotrash

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

The kids like it because they like everything eurotrash

It’s trendy and you don’t have to watch a game to comment on it 

just say “oh.... Benzema was awesome” and this passes as wisdom cause nobody else watched it either

and they need billions of dollars to underwrite the sport and nobody cares enough to risk it

• Like (+1) 1