No Women's World Cup thread?

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

There are only a couple of scenarios where I'd use VAR and they all involve ejection-worth offenses. Apparently Zidane wouldn't have been ejected in the WC final vs Italy if the refs hadn't seen his head-butt on the big screen??

I don't like it for Offside and I HATE it for reviewing penalties. Awarding a penalty kick changes the game so much, it's often so subjective, using replay gets to be a disaster. It's always going to be a controversial decision, introducing replay into it makes it 10x worse imo.

I don’t like VAR for penalties because as you say it can be subjective.

I do like it for offside tho. Being offside has a lot of moving parts and the speed of the game makes it difficult for refs to be certain. If you are in and offside position, it shouldn’t really be subjective. Although they need to go back to you are either offside or not. This being in an offside position but not interfering with the play so not offside is stupid. A defender can’t be certain if you are offside or not and so therefore has to account for you as a player and your ability to be involved. The whole were they interfering or not brings in too much subjectivity.

I’m not thrilled to see a victory via penalty kicks.  I’m just a dumb ‘merican and I like to see scores as a part of the flow of the game.  Kind of like deciding a basketball game with free throws, or a football game with a field goal.  Yes, it’s part of the game and it’s suspenseful, but I personally like to see scores as a result of teamwork and speed during the course of the game.

10 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I’m not thrilled to see a victory via penalty kicks.  I’m just a dumb ‘merican and I like to see scores as a part of the flow of the game.  Kind of like deciding a basketball game with free throws, or a football game with a field goal.  Yes, it’s part of the game and it’s suspenseful, but I personally like to see scores as a result of teamwork and speed during the course of the game.

I agree.

You are just a dumb 'merican.

?

31 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

the weaker team plays for penalty kicks about 2/3 of the time in a playoff game, if they can get away with it

at least in chess you can agree to a draw at any time and save us 70 minutes of time-wasting booshwah

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the weaker team plays for penalty kicks about 2/3 of the time in a playoff game, if they can get away with it

at least in chess you can agree to a draw at any time and save us 70 minutes of time-wasting booshwah

A playoff game can degenerate to direct kicks to declare a winner.  I would rather see a sudden death format.  But I’m not a hardcore soccer fan, so my preferences aren’t important. 

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

A playoff game can degenerate to direct kicks to declare a winner.  I would rather see a sudden death format.  But I’m not a hardcore soccer fan, so my preferences aren’t important. 

You can’t force a team to come out of a total defensive shell until it falls behind on the scoreboard

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

In play goals are better but Spain was pushing, holding, and fouling all match long. It’s how they kept the match close. The problem with that strategy is that it gives up free and penalty kicks. Credit to them though, they played a great match. 

The Spain goal was a terrible play by the US, not a good play by Spain (though the shot to score was nice). They will be happy it didn’t cost them the match. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

They used to do golden goal but switched back to normal extra time, two 15 min periods a while ago.

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They used to do golden goal but switched back to normal extra time, two 15 min periods a while ago.

I like golden goal more but this is fine too. Someone will always be unhappy if they want to be. 

I like the VAR as much as I like instant replay in football. It’s annoying but it helps get calls right. Removes a lot of controversy. 

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Some improvements make sense, like the goal line tech. VAR, especially the way it's being used right now at the women's WC, is imo a disaster.

What’s this you say??  Replay is a disaster??  Who could have foreseen such a thing given how it made all the officiating problems go away in football!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

Why would the stronger team ever agree to a draw?

This post makes 0 sense.

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

What’s this you say??  Replay is a disaster??  Who could have foreseen such a thing given how it made all the officiating problems go away in football!

The Europeans are learning the hard way that replay is mostly garbage. Some fans still like it, but a lot are starting not to.

It's very similar to the NHL over there. More and more fans are like "what are we doing?". While the managers and executives love it.

I've seen far too many great plays where everyone and the ball is moving so fast and someone's toe is in front of the back defender (who usually put themselves in a spot to get beat and are getting bailed out) and the goal is waved off. It's very similar to looking at when a guy lifts his skate off the blue line.

Also I saw a few months ago where the keeper and attacker both got hurt on a clear offside play because now the linesman are being instructed to not call it if they have any doubt. It often ends up on a through ball where an attacking player and goalie are sprinting for a 50/50 ball that will involve contact. It's a dumb way for players to get hurt.

On 6/23/2019 at 3:20 PM, BeginnersMind said:

The keeper had a brain fart. Basic soccer there. Can’t handle a pass from a teammate or it’s a free kick. She should have kicked it into next year. 

I agree the keeper should have done that just to be safe. The good ones don't take any chances.

In her defense, the defender looked like she tried to bring it down. Took a bad touch. Ot ended up no where and am English player had a good jump on the ball. I think she definitely should have booted it, but I don't think it was a deliberate pass. Also that outside back should now be trying to lay off a cross one time in her own box towards her own net. She was out of position. 

30 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The Europeans are learning the hard way that replay is mostly garbage. Some fans still like it, but a lot are starting not to.

It's very similar to the NHL over there. More and more fans are like "what are we doing?". While the managers and executives love it.

I've seen far too many great plays where everyone and the ball is moving so fast and someone's toe is in front of the back defender (who usually put themselves in a spot to get beat and are getting bailed out) and the goal is waved off. It's very similar to looking at when a guy lifts his skate off the blue line.

Also I saw a few months ago where the keeper and attacker both got hurt on a clear offside play because now the linesman are being instructed to not call it if they have any doubt. It often ends up on a through ball where an attacking player and goalie are sprinting for a 50/50 ball that will involve contact. It's a dumb way for players to get hurt.

It's become the ruination of all four major sports in the US, but considering they don't even use an exact clock, replay seems especially absurd in soccer.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, KD in CA said:

It's become the ruination of all four major sports in the US, but considering they don't even use an exact clock, replay seems especially absurd in soccer.

It is. I'm also a bit of a purist in soccer. The game doesn't lend itself to it at all in my opinion. I don't even care for these water breaks they take now, but that I can get past for health concerns. When I grew up, and now I'll sound really old. We used to train without water so during a game it'd be a luxury.

I just have always loved the adversity that builds in response to a bad call in soccer because some of the great teams will just unload a barrage of attacking that can be really entertaining. Others fold, and that can be equally entertaining.

I've always loved seeing how teams respond.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Exactly! Here they are using replay to get every stupid call right but they still time games however they feel like. Ironic.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Exactly! Here they are using replay to get every stupid call right but they still time games however they feel like. Ironic.

....and now that they've wasted God knows how much time on replays catering to the 'get it right' crowd who'd rather obsess over someone's toe being 1/8" over the line (or not) vs watching the game, the 'extra time' could be anywhere from 4 to 37 minutes!   :lol:

presumably they are screwing up at least half the calls anyway.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I don't know if there is any other way, but it seems ridiculous to me that in a game where goals are so hard to come by all of a sudden you give a team a 75% or so chance of scoring.  

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

That 2nd 15 minute overtime - why?!?  Didn't the US lose to Japan after being ahead after the 1st OT 8 years ago?  Why would you have a second one??

Why do NHL games play 4v4 in OT? It is just the rules. 

You can say you hate the 1/8 inch offside calls but VAR catches much more egregious calls than that and that’s its best feature. The game used to be about showing so many blown Offside calls. Now it’s not. It sucks when it’s close because being offside probably didn’t give the scoring advantage. But here’s the deal: You’re either offside or you’re not. 1/8 inch and 12 feet are both offside. If you introduce some subjective “did the offside make this a goal-scoring advantage” question for the ref to ask, it becomes a subjective disaster.