No Women's World Cup thread?

On 6/22/2019 at 1:32 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

The lack of exact timing still makes me nuts over soccer. Especially in injury time. Too often I'm seeing players faking injury to stop a team from getting a tying goal.

the futbol men are such wussies 

The US to play Spain today @11:00

or 12? 

Monday's matches

Spain vs. United States (6 p.m. local, noon ET)

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The TV hosts are oblivious as to why the French goal was disallowed. It was punched in. Was that not obvious?

Yep there was one girl on the broadcast that brought it up twice and basically got ignored both times. To me it was a foul for running into the goalie or a hand ball. Take your pick. The rest of the commentators are complete idiots, going on and on about possession. 

Offside rule is a joke. Whole body is onside except a millimeter of the Cameroon player’s heel and goal disallowed. 

Why cant soccer have a countdown clock which stops when there are stoppages like

every other sport. ?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

the futbol men are such wussies 

I have no doubt most of the injuries I'm seeing are real. But I also know that a few with a minute or two left in stoppage time are fake. It's to tempting a loophole to exploit.

I'm glad France won in extra time. Would have hated to see another game decided by penalty kicks. USA/Spain set for today at 11am on FS1. U-S-A!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jukester said:

Yep there was one girl on the broadcast that brought it up twice and basically got ignored both times. To me it was a foul for running into the goalie or a hand ball. Take your pick. The rest of the commentators are complete idiots, going on and on about possession. 

Offside rule is a joke. Whole body is onside except a millimeter of the Cameroon player’s heel and goal disallowed. 

Why cant soccer have a countdown clock which stops when there are stoppages like

every other sport. ?

Reasons why it will never catch on in North America 

a small core of fans will argue on its behalf but the obvious problems are immeasurable

they have tried to force it on us for almost 50 years now, the problems are the same since Pele played for the Cosmos 

One overlooked item is that this is the game of the lower classes, the terraces and general admission, the uppers watch cricket and rugby. US sports fans are almost all in the middle if they can spend the $$$ to attend games.

1 minute ago, Jukester said:

every other sport. ?

Tradition is one big reason. Probably goes back to days when pitches that didn't have scoreboards so refs kept time on their wristwatches. But I agree. Just stop the clock for injuries and keep exact time. 

31 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Tradition is one big reason. Probably goes back to days when pitches that didn't have scoreboards so refs kept time on their wristwatches. But I agree. Just stop the clock for injuries and keep exact time. 

Extra time is great. It’s like that kid game with the plastic ticking time bomb. The intensity ratchets up and the game gets frenetic. Soccer fans almost entirely enjoy getting to 90 and that moment of announcing the extra time period. It’s excellent. 

Many sports have random rule enforcement. Contact in basketball is impossible to call. Moving strike zones. Pass interference. All the rules to protect quarterbacks. Fans will always whine about something and claim it was better back in their day. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

and for the 120th year the procession of non-fans sending in their

"op 10 ways to improve the game"

is resurrected

if you don't get this sport, you won't, you aren't better or worse off for it in the long haul

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, row_33 said:

is resurrected

if you don't get this sport, you won't, you aren't better or worse off for it in the long haul

Like or dislike it for what it is.

28 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Like or dislike it for what it is.

basically, if you whine to people who love the sport they will smile and think you are a total moron

3 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Extra time is great. It’s like that kid game with the plastic ticking time bomb. The intensity ratchets up and the game gets frenetic. Soccer fans almost entirely enjoy getting to 90 and that moment of announcing the extra time period. It’s excellent. 

Many sports have random rule enforcement. Contact in basketball is impossible to call. Moving strike zones. Pass interference. All the rules to protect quarterbacks. Fans will always whine about something and claim it was better back in their day. 

So, this nonsense is done to keep things like they were back in the day - when stopwatches weren't invented?!?  

If they didn't go to video reply, I"d actually give them a lot of credit for that.  

46 minutes ago, row_33 said:

is resurrected

So what makes soccer so sacred? Every other sport makes tweaks and changes to the game. But soccer can't? Have they ever even tried it?

So sometime explain what Offside is? Spain just scored with a player behind all the US players. Isn't that Offside?

First goal allowed by the US this tournament.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So what makes soccer so sacred? Every other sport makes tweaks and changes to the game. But soccer can't? Have they ever even tried it?

So sometime explain what Offside is? Spain just scored with a player behind all the US players. Isn't that Offside?

i never figured it out, i got hooked when i was 7 or so watching my first FA Cup on TV around 1973, and fell into that notch that took it for what it was

and never wanted to change it

only losing interest as DAZN snaked away the Champions League and International Midweek Games last year, and have snaked away the English Premier League from Canadian cable

AlJezeera bought the rights to the Spanish game a few years ago and wouldn't sell it to North America, but it wound up on BeIn TV after a few years.

--------------------------------------

you can get away without watching the sport, you just say a few vague things (find the score, the historical pattern of England choking and such) and nobody really challenges you on it like I would if you said you watched an NFL or NHL game...

good scam....

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i never figured it out, i got hooked when i was 7 or so watching my first FA Cup on TV around 1973, and fell into that notch that took it for what it was

and never wanted to change it

only losing interest as DAZN snaked away the Champions League and International Midweek Games last year, and have snaked away the English Premier League from Canadian cable

AlJezeera bought the rights to the Spanish game a few years ago and wouldn't sell it to North America, but it wound up on BeIn TV after a few years.

--------------------------------------

you can get away without watching the sport, you just say a few vague things (find the score, the historical pattern of England choking and such) and nobody really challenges you on it like I would if you said you watched an NFL or NHL game...

good scam....

I didn't want to give the score in case someone will watch the replay after work.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Because soccer has a 12-page rule book, half of which is describing the field.  Most of the rest is describing how to administer set-pieces.  There's not a hell of a lot to "tweak."

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Have to say that was a weak penalty call.

FYI from the first call of the penalty, VAR review and eventual kick, that burned off 5:30.

Makes up for all the muggings Rapinoe suffered, though.  

She can't get a call to save her life. 

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

is resurrected

And for the same period of time, the procession of "fans" that immediately think anyone that suggests an improvement is a non-fan ?.

Just now, Jukester said:

And for the same period of time, the procession of "fans" that immediately think anyone that suggests an improvement is a non-fan ?.

Some improvements make sense, like the goal line tech. VAR, especially the way it's being used right now at the women's WC, is imo a disaster.

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Some improvements make sense, like the goal line tech. VAR, especially the way it's being used right now at the women's WC, is imo a disaster.

you know that replay solves some problems but still can't get it right, if you believe the replay reviewers are agenda-free to begin with

interrupting the game to see if a goal was scored is good, going back to see if it was a foul deserving of a penalty makes it worse than before

Just now, row_33 said:

you know that replay solves some problems but still can't get it right, if you believe the replay reviewers are agenda-free to begin with

interrupting the game to see if a goal was scored is good, going back to see if it was a foul deserving of a penalty makes it worse than before

There are only a couple of scenarios where I'd use VAR and they all involve ejection-worth offenses. Apparently Zidane wouldn't have been ejected in the WC final vs Italy if the refs hadn't seen his head-butt on the big screen??

I don't like it for Offside and I HATE it for reviewing penalties. Awarding a penalty kick changes the game so much, it's often so subjective, using replay gets to be a disaster. It's always going to be a controversial decision, introducing replay into it makes it 10x worse imo.