Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

The Penguin message boards are hating the trade - so that must be a plus for the Sabres...

57 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I mean the Peg went the final 9+ minutes without a shot on goal yesterday. 

The Jets were a dead tired team on the tailend of a back to back.    I wouldn't read too much into that 9+ minute defensive gem... 

Edited by Lurker

43 minutes ago, snafu said:

Point taken.

And we shall see who Rodriguez gets paired with so he can blossom into a goal scoring magician.

I read that he only played roughly 20% of the time with Malkin. He was their 4th or 5th best point producer at 5v5 and I believe his 5v5 numbers put him currently in the top 3 in buffalo (but I’m not 100% sure on that). 

He’s still developing. He hasn’t even played 2 full NHL seasons yet and his rookie year in Chicago was very promising. 

He gives a full effort every time he’s on the ice and has potential to be a long term middle 6 F for Buffalo. It was a no-risk add IMO, with plenty of potential upside.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The Penguin message boards are hating the trade - so that must be a plus for the Sabres...

Was just going to post this.   They hate the trade, especially the part about getting Sheary back.  

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The Jets were a dead tired team on the tailend of a back to back.    I wouldn't read too much into that 9+ minute defensive gem... 

Buffalo was also coming off a back to back.  So if one team thrived under that circumstance and the other faltered, what exactly does it mean?

57 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So were we and yet, even with a shortened bench, we were able to lock them down. RK has been successful with that on several occasions this season, problem is this team rarely gives him the luxury of doing that. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

The below WGR link is Botterill talking about the transactions. It is a 14 min segment. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/botterill-is-focused-on-his-teams-progression-into-march

This link is a BN commentary by Mike Harrington commenting on the trade deals. He comments on the GM balancing the present and future needs. 

https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/24/buffalo-sabres-nhl-jason-botterill-4/

Edited by JohnC

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Buffalo was also coming off a back to back.  So if one team thrived under that circumstance and the other faltered, what exactly does it mean?

The home team got to sleep in their own beds the night before.   And the word 'thrive' seems a bit inapropriate, IMO.    Perhaps 'survive' would be better..

Edited by Lurker

Interesting question here.

on one hand, making playoffs would mean a really fun 5 weeks of hockey, and most likely getting swept by Tampa as they gunna be a little fired up after last year. 

OTOH, that dude at 1 is supposed to be pretty good.  

I would do for lottery win

Just now, ALF said:

New cap space at $5.3M  is a nice improvement

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/

I would take the 1st overall pick instead of playoffs this season for sure.

The Sabres need NHL talent and while it be nice to have another top overall guy we need a proven 50-70 point 2nd line Centerman, a #1 Goalie and pending how we line things up a #2 RW. 

this team needs a playoff series.  nobody has delusions of a cup run but one series is never out of the question. hell the kings were the 8 seed one year and steamrolled everyone through the cup.  get in win a couple games at home and give the top seed a tough series and feel good we finished the season strong. 

• Like (+1) 2

Cody Hodgson may be a phantom but the money he makes even after he disappeared is real. The mistakes of the past continue to ding us in current time. :ph34r:

My take from the spotrack chart is that Botterill has smartly managed the cap  and has given himself flexibility to make deals in the offseason and be in a good position to sign some of his emerging young players in the not too distant future. 

Edited by JohnC

Andrew Fillipponi from 93.7Fan in Pitts was on WGR talking about the Pittsburgh/Buffalo deal. He provided more information on Kahun. He pointed out that Rutherford who is one of the better GMs in the game had a higher view on Rodriques than Botterill did, a personnel man who worked under Rutherford. This is a 16 min segment. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-25-andrew-fillipponi-from-937-the-fan-in-pittsburgh-on-dominik-kahun

Speculation: On WGR's morning show Jeremy White noted that the Sabres tried to make a deal with Florida in order to get Trocheck. He pointed out that sources inside the organization were claiming their offer was higher than Carolina's. A factor may have been that Florida didn't want to trade within the conference. 

Edited by JohnC

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Andrew Fillipponi from 93.7Fan in Pitts was on WGR talking about the Pittsburgh/Buffalo deal. He provided more information on Kahun. He pointed out that Rutherford who is one of the better GMs in the game had a higher view on Rodriques than Botterill did, a personnel man who worked under Rutherford. This is a 16 min segment. 

I also wonder if Mike Sullivan may have followed Rodrigues closely since he's a BU guy too.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

New cap space at $5.3M  is a nice improvement

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/

I would take the 1st overall pick instead of playoffs this season for sure.

OKay, someone much smarter than me explain this one ..i am referring to the 2nd point. Thought he created enough room yesterday..and there is a penalty on top of the overage????????

How can you be this bad and have a cap overage penalty p

Edited by plenzmd1

19 hours ago, eball said:

So are the Sabres in the playoff picture?  6 pts behind Toronto for 3rd in the division with a game in hand and 20 to play.  If the Sabres go 10-5-5 and the Leafs play a hair under .500 the Sabres overtake them.

It's improbable that the Sabres will make the playoffs. The reason I'm not optimistic about reaching that benchmark has less to do with jumping over teams, granted a tough task in of itself. It has more to do with the remaining brutal schedule against superior teams. What I'm hoping for is for the Sabres to play good and tough hockey and stay in the race so the end of the season games are meaningful games. What I'm looking for is a franchise with a recent history of middling success making the progression to becoming a competitive team and moving up the ranks. What's encouraging to me is that I do see progress although a lot of the battered fanbase doesn't see it that way. Although my assessment is more positive I understand their exasperation and impatience. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

I also wonder if Mike Sullivan may have followed Rodrigues closely since he's a BU guy too.

I'm not sure about Sullivan's familiarity with Rodrigues. But it is widely acknowledged that Rutherford is one of the best GMs in the game. Not just winning the cup but consistently keeping your team in the cup hunt over an extended period of time in a cap system is a major accomplishment. In making this trade with Pittsburgh what is evident is that all three of these players needed a change of scenery and a fresh start. A deal good for you can also be a deal good for them. 

Botterill's presser:

* - he admits they'll have a cap overage penalty next season because of bonuses for the young defensemen.

I guess spotrac hasn't factored the bonuses in yet , I bet someone in the Aud Club might know . That would be poor cap management and still poor results in the standings.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

It's improbable that the Sabres will make the playoffs. The reason I'm not optimistic about reaching that benchmark has less to do with jumping over teams, granted a tough task in of itself. It has more to do with the remaining brutal schedule against superior teams. What I'm hoping for is for the Sabres to play good and tough hockey and stay in the race so the end of the season games are meaningful games. What I'm looking for is a franchise with a recent history of middling success making the progression to becoming a competitive team and moving up the ranks. What's encouraging to me is that I do see progress although a lot of the battered fanbase doesn't see it that way. Although my assessment is more positive I understand their exasperation and impatience. 

You can say that again.

Currently about a 3% chance.

This team is streaky.  They have just put in a nice win streak.  That will end on the coming road trip against good teams and we'll probably lose 4 or 5 in a row...and then the playoff talk will go away.

Jason is desperate to get his "meaningful hockey games in March" but I'm not sure he's going to pull it off.

How about meaningful hockey games in May?! 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

They may have a tough schedule left but after tonight they will have 2 games in hand on the Leafs. Being 6 points back is not a lot to make up considering how poorly the Leafs are playing. What makes me hopeful is that Florida and Toronto are both in the bottom 5 goals against. They have been playing well against good teams during this stretch minus the Colorado game. 

33 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

They may have a tough schedule left but after tonight they will have 2 games in hand on the Leafs. Being 6 points back is not a lot to make up considering how poorly the Leafs are playing. What makes me hopeful is that Florida and Toronto are both in the bottom 5 goals against. They have been playing well against good teams during this stretch minus the Colorado game. 

Of course I'm hoping that the Sabres play well enough to make the playoffs. However, although Toronto is not playing well now that doesn't mean that they can't get it together enough to hold on to their playoff position. We should get a better sense of our playoff situation after this out of town stretch against some really good teams. If the Sabres surprise and earn some unexpected points against these better teams then the heavy odds against us improve some more. So let's just wait and see and hope for the best.   

Leafs hopefully try against Florida on Thursday to help the cause...  :(

but it illustrates how the NHL rigs it against teams trying to get in contention, maybe 3 points will be handed out in this game to sink the Sabres and Habs.

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

OKay, someone much smarter than me explain this one ..i am referring to the 2nd point. Thought he created enough room yesterday..and there is a penalty on top of the overage????????

How can you be this bad and have a cap overage penalty p

How about getting a 4th for Scandella only to watch Mtl get a 2nd and a 4th for the same guy a few weeks later?  That's a good one.  Montreal got a second for nothing.  You're welcome.

Some me of the salary stuff still lingers with Murray but Bots gets the brunt.  And here I thought we were managed so we could pounce this off season.  LOL.

2 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Trying to catch two teams is more than twice as hard as catching one  

Florida and Leafs play Thursday, one will win and the other may pick up a point as well

So the Leafs and Panthers have already lost tonight’s game in your humble estimation? 

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

One or both of Toronto or Florida win tonight and the Sabres fall 2 more in the hole, a Toronto and:or Florida win means Buffalo must win tomorrow to merely tread water.

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

How about getting a 4th for Scandella only to watch Mtl get a 2nd and a 4th for the same guy a few weeks later?  That's a good one.  Montreal got a second for nothing.  You're welcome.

Some me of the salary stuff still lingers with Murray but Bots gets the brunt.  And here I thought we were managed so we could pounce this off season.  LOL.

Do you think Montreal gets that 2nd from St. Louis if Bouwmeester doesn’t go into cardiac arrest on the bench and is lost for the season as a result? 

I’m as unimpressed by JBotts as the next detractor and I seriously question his ability to identify and acquire talent, especially on the O side of things, but I’m not gonna fault him for Montreal being able to take advantage of a desperate trading partner 6 weeks after the fact, either.

56 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Trying to catch two teams is more than twice as hard as catching one  

Florida and Leafs play Thursday, one will win and the other may pick up a point as well

So the Leafs and Panthers have already lost tonight’s game in your humble estimation? 

Florida may win but I have no faith in the Leafs to win many games left. The 3 top guys just don't care enough. I watch guys like Crosby, McDavid and Eichel bring it every night. Matthews, Marner and  Nylander take a lot of nights off. 

3 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Florida may win but I have no faith in the Leafs to win many games left. The 3 top guys just don't care enough. I watch guys like Crosby, McDavid and Eichel bring it every night. Matthews, Marner and  Nylander take a lot of nights off. 

couldn’t care less what you think about the Leafs

you gonna listen to me as I again tell you they are calibrating effort to come in one point above Florida?  

Oh wait they won at Tampa, called the greatest team ever by many hockey experts 

LOL!!!

And Florida won, so Buffalo has to win at Colorado (good luck) tomorrow to get back to the hole they started in this morning

and Toronto plays Florida Thursday so one is guaranteed 2 points with a good chance of a third point earned to damage the Sabres chances

a loss at Colorado would be catastrophic 

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

couldn’t care less what you think about the Leafs

you gonna listen to me as I again tell you they are calibrating effort to come in one point above Florida?  

Oh wait they won at Tampa, called the greatest team ever by many hockey experts 

LOL!!!

Attached is a link from NHL.com of Nylander's nifty goal between his legs. 

https://www.nhl.com/video/nylanders-between-the-legs-ppg/t-277462110/c-5297647

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Why do the Sabres always get the wrong brother? The wrong Gretzky, the wrong Primeau, the wrong Nylander. When will it end? 

I guess we got the right Biron, though. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Why do the Sabres always get the wrong brother? The wrong Gretzky, the wrong Primeau, the wrong Nylander. When will it end? 

I dont remember a Biron brother LOL. Speaking of Marty, saw a clip the other night, i am guessing TSN, him going all in on Jack for the Hart. Was good to see. Half the reason i watch the game's now is just to hear the various  " Dis and Dats" and no plurals etc. Reminds me of the all the times i only watched to hear Roby...

Lord i am am hoping they go on a run here.  Weather getting nice, porch is calling..way easier to rationalize the beers when i watching a game that means something.

BTW, know i am ruining the juju , but i just put a little somethin somethin on them +180 tonight.

Edited by plenzmd1

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I dont remember a Biron brother LOL. Speaking of Marty, saw a clip the other night, i am guessing TSN, him going all in on Jack for the Hart. Was good to see. Half the reason i watch the game's now is just to hear the various  " Dis and Dats" and no plurals etc. Reminds me of the all the times i only watched to hear Roby...

Lord i am am hoping they go on a run here.  Weather getting nice, porch is calling..way easier to rationalize the beers when i watching a game that means something.

BTW, know i am ruining the juju , but i just put a little somethin somethin on them +180 tonight.

How could anyone forget mighty Mathieu Biron? 

I have no delusions about them going on a run or continuing the run they’ve been on this month. I fully expect them to get waxed in Denver, smoked in Vegas, annihilated in Arizona, culminating in a revenge loss to the ‘Peg. My optimism knows no bounds!

Enjoy the beers on the porch anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

That was a beauty. Nylander was a stud last night. Not just for the goal, but he had jump, he was physical and won almost every puck battle including the effort to win the puck and get it to Tavares on his goal.  Needs to keep it up!

18 hours ago, K-9 said:

Do you think Montreal gets that 2nd from St. Louis if Bouwmeester doesn’t go into cardiac arrest on the bench and is lost for the season as a result? 

I’m as unimpressed by JBotts as the next detractor and I seriously question his ability to identify and acquire talent, especially on the O side of things, but I’m not gonna fault him for Montreal being able to take advantage of a desperate trading partner 6 weeks after the fact, either.

It's ok I and a bunch of other people will.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I take it that you never saw Bob Mogilny play.

• Haha (+1) 1