Entertainers That Died Young

How many of them have "legend" status today simply because they died young. May have been great talents still, but their greatness and importance are over inflated due to their untimely death. Off the top of my head, names I've heard thrown around (not that I neccecarily agree with all of them) are:

Kurt Cobain

Jimi Hendrix

Jim Morrison

Hendrix I disagree with 100%. I've heard it argued that he couldn't hold a candle to a lot of the guitarists today. While  that may be true, we'll never know what else Jimi had up his sleeve, or what he would have done. Also, anything that people do now a days, was influenced and built off of what Jimi started. 

Jim Morrison, was overrated. I love the doors, but he really wasn't much of a singer. If the Doors wanted to, I think they could have carried on with a new singer a la AC/DC with Brian Johnson.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

I'm not sure Jimi should be on that list, that would be like including John Lennon. What Jimi brought to guitar playing was the basis for everything you heard from then through now. He was insanely talented and the world, if you will, lost a lot by not having him around longer. 

Jim Morrison people love the doors, not my thing, had he lived I don't think he would quite have that legendary status. There is a big difference between the Doors and other larger and more influential acts.

I think Cobain falls in the Jim Morrison category, how much evolution would he have brought to music over all now? 90s grunge - meh. 

How about Janis Joplin or Mama Cass?

Edit: I am assuming you are not just asking for a list of who died young, as the title indicates, but what your post indicates with over inflation based on death...

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

Hendrix and Cobain were absolutely true talents.

Randy Rhodes would have been RIDICULOUS had he lived longer.

Amy Winehouse was a once in a generation-type talent, IMO.  She was supremely talented and a total throwback.

Patsy Cline had a voice of silk.  Total real deal.

John Bonham, to me, was the greatest rock drummer of all time.

Layne Staley, Scott Weiland and Freddie Mercury were three of the greatest front men in rock history.  Staley's voice was chilling.

Not sure if "young," = "too young to die," but if so, I'll throw George Michael, Prince and Michael Jackson in there, as well.

Had more to give:

Duane Allman

Cliff Burton

Shannon Hoon

Hendrix

Joplin

Bonham

Keith Moon

Otis Redding

Sam Cooke

Marvin Gaye

Bradley Nowell

Legendary Status only because died young and not really that great:

Andrew Wood

Sid Vicious

Already peaked when they died, but still great:

Morrison

Cobain

Weiland

Mercury

Staley

Marley

Once you get past 40 I don't put you on the list as dying too young.

Edited by Mark80

2 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Had more to give:

Duane Allman

Cliff Burton

Shannon Hoon

Hendrix

Joplin

Bonham

Keith Moon

Otis Redding

Sam Cooke

Marvin Gaye

Bradley Nowell

Legendary Status only because died young and not really that great:

Andrew Wood

Sid Vicious

Already peaked when they died, but still great:

Morrison

Cobain

Weiland

Mercury

Staley

Marley

Once you get past 40 I don't put you on the list as dying too young.

I like the way you broke this down.  Nice call on Shannon Hoon.  I'd move Gaye to the already peaked list.  I'd also move Morrison to the "not really that great," list.

I don't think Cobain or Staley had peaked; but agree with the rest of that list in your post.  From my list, I'd add Hendrix, Rhoads, Winehouse, Cobain, and Staley to "more to give."

I'd add Bonham, Weiland, Mercury and Cline to "already peaked."

I suppose it all boils down to what is "young"... Willie Nelson would probably say anyone that's still living.

Frank Zappa... nowadays he's have probably been cured.

Chris Wood

The Day the music died

Karen Carpenter

Rebop 

Emerson and Lake

etc.

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I like the way you broke this down.  Nice call on Shannon Hoon.  I'd move Gaye to the already peaked list.  I'd also move Morrison to the "not really that great," list.

I don't think Cobain or Staley had peaked; but agree with the rest of that list in your post.  From my list, I'd add Hendrix, Rhoads, Winehouse, Cobain, and Staley to "more to give."

I'd add Bonham, Weiland, Mercury and Cline to "already peaked."

I put Morrison there because of his writing and stage presence more than his vocal talent.  The Doors were HUGE to an entire generation of Vietnam Vets and the whole anti-war movement.  I don't think you are quite giving them the credit they deserve my friend.

I could buy off on Cobain and Staley not peaking though.  I did really like In Utero and think it is very underrated, and Staley did absolutely kill it in the AIC unplugged even when he was well into his addiction that would kill him just a couple years later.  I just don't know enough about Rhoads and Winehouse to give a good assessment so I left them off completely.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, teef said:

not young, but i always hated that phil hartman went the way he did.

Those were the great days of SNL...I rarely get a good laugh out of that show anymore.

Anyway...I fell my way into a great marijuana trip when I saw Mitch Hedberg at the Majestic years ago...the guy smashed one liners....

Candy..Farley were gifts for obvious reasons...

I don't see much out there these days when it comes to the comedy ...

when shows like Mom are considered "comedy"..we're in rough shape?

Edited by Misterbluesky

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Jim Morrison, was overrated. I love the doors, but he really wasn't much of a singer. If the Doors wanted to, I think they could have carried on with a new singer a la AC/DC with Brian Johnson.

They did. The album was called Other Voices. It wasn't well-received.

A co-worker once said, "I don't understand why Bob Dylan is considered a legendary singer."  Another person responded, "He's not a legendary singer; he's a legendary songwriter." I'd say the same of Jim Morrison's contribution to The Doors.

As far as AC/DC is concerned, Bon Scott co-wrote most of their really good songs. Back in Black was a good post-Scott album, but every album after that was simply a recycled version of Back in Black. Even Angus admitted that when he told a reporter, "I'm sick and tired of people saying that we put out 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we've put out 12 albums that sound exactly the same."

• Like (+1) 2