Lawson's 5th yr option ($9.451M) declined & Ziggy update

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I agree, he is average.  I think some people blowing him off as "not good" is a bit of an overstatement.

Right, They aren’t cutting him. They are just choosing not to pay him like a player that he hasn’t proven himself to be. He still has time to earn that. He just hasn’t yet. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

Do you really think he will want to be back in Buffalo after being told “no thanks.”

Possibly. They didnt say "we dont want you at all", they just said "not at $10M/year". I dont think anyone else will offer him $10M/year, and Id assume neither does his agent. So maybe.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Not surprised at all. Although he did give effort and occasionally made plays, he just never lived up to his 1st round billing. Better to say thank you and goodbye now, then to be stuck with Chris Kelsay for another 5 years....

The 5th Year Option does not extend him for another five years.

It tacks one additional year onto his deal, making him a free agent in 2021 instead of 2020.

Depending on Murphy's health....................

Lawson's roster spot could be in jeopardy.

Cause we know the staff likes Love and drafted Darryl Johnson in the 7th round.

I guess they will sign Ziggy and cut Lawson. ?

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I will take that though and think Beane would too.  Might get a 4th too

I might keep him and hope he plays his butt off.  It would be another hole to fill, and while he’s not a game changer, he is coming off the best season of his career.  I won’t be up in arms if they trade him but I think he might have more value than a late round draft pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Makes sense. They're better off trying to negotiate a lower-cost extension if they want to keep him around at all.

...EXACTLY....perhaps told him to test the FA waters (those waters will NOT yield $10+ mil/ys) and then come talk to OBD about a possible return.....no sense in burning bridges if he is serviceable at a reasonable number..........

Just now, njbuff said:

Bad draft, after bad draft, after bad draft, after bad draft.

Coaching change, after coaching change, after coaching change. Which he was never allowed to hire.

6 DCs in 5 years, a major scheme change each time.

Plenty of those players are still in the league and contributors on Playoff teams.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Do you really think he will want to be back in Buffalo after being told “no thanks.”

We don't know his relationship with the coach. He may even prefer to sign a long-term contract than have the 5th year picked up. My opinion: we are way too hard on him here and he has rated very high on stopping the run, and still has the potential to show upside. That being said, I can understand the hesitance to tie ourselves to him next year. I could also have seen since we are likely to have an absurd amount of space, and the Pegulas a lot of money, taking the chance on holding him for another year. 

I hope he grows as a player and if he's the kind of player who fits in the system, he will want to come back to play next year.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Coaching change, after coaching change, after coaching change. Which he was never allowed to hire.

6 DCs in 5 years, a major scheme change each time.

Plenty of those players are still in the league and contributors on Playoff teams.

You are correct. But make no mistake about bad drafting though.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Come on...

You honestly think Whaley wanted to mess with the number 2 defense in the nfl?  Shaq was with Rex’s son in Clemson.  All players like Mario and Dareus did was complain about Rex’s system because it was completely different than Schwartz.  

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was Rex and getting players to fit his “system.”  Whaley was neutered here. 

They both were horrible.  Whaley had two good picks in four drafts as GM in Darby and T. White.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You honestly think Whaley wanted to mess with the number 2 defense in the nfl?  Shaq was with Rex’s son in Clemson.  All players like Mario and Dareus did was complain about Rex’s system because it was completely different than Schwartz.  

You still gotta draft talent.  That entire class is close to washing out.