Lawson's 5th yr option ($9.451M) declined & Ziggy update

9 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I agree, he is average.  I think some people blowing him off as "not good" is a bit of an overstatement.

I mean, it really depends on your view of things... I think realistically he's an average rotational player, and a below average starter. For a 16th overall pick, you're looking for something much better than that, so "not good" actually works given the proper framing of what is and isn't good based on what he was supposed to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No shock at all.  Pretty obvious they were interested in an upgrade and that definitely meant his 5th year option was unlikely.

Personally, I think we sign Ansah and then try and trade Shaq like we did with Sammy after not picking up his option either.  Beane probably tries to trade Shaq whether we sign Ansah or not, just to try and get some value before letting him walk in FA.  

The 3rd wave of FA is about to start and we should see a couple of trades coming up soon. Only 99 days until Preseason game #1

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Lawson, Ragland, Washington, C. Jones, J. Williams

Doug Whaley sure nailed that draft.

Well...when you actually put it in writing and force me to think about it...yes, I get queasy.

Please don't think you've accomplished something today, Doc.  I've been queasy over this team before.  

:lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Not surprised at all. Although he did give effort and occasionally made plays, he just never lived up to his 1st round billing. Better to say thank you and goodbye now, then to be stuck with Chris Kelsay for another 5 years....

Yup - Shaq's basically Kelsay.  Shouldn't be a primary option for any team in the league honestly.  Depth rotation piece. 

Okafor got 3yrs 18 - anything more than that for Shaq would be a surprise to me (beyond the slight YoY increase in cap%).  If he has a good year maybe he could hit the Henry Anderson mark - 3yr 25 mil.  But 13 mil for a year, guaranteed or not is still very high for the player as he stands currently.  

34 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Do you really think he will want to be back in Buffalo after being told “no thanks.”

Correct. I checked into that in a previous offseason.* I could only find one example of a player who did not have his 5th year option picked up - or wasn’t extended prior to the deadline - by his drafting team who was still with that team .  Mark Ingram and the Saints.  A couple other players were well into contract negotiations at the deadline and had their deals done within days, but that was it.  Shaq is gone unless he absolutely blows up this season and gets tagged.  Anyone see that happening?  I sure don’t.

He was never going to be a pass rush stud like a lot of people hoped.  Since he was drafted the offseason that we parted with Mario some assumed that he’d be the replacement.  He’s excellent at setting the edge and can work for some pressure, but he’s really not what you want as a starting Edge player for today’s NFL.  He’d make a great DE3 on a team and will probably get picked up by a team looking to draft a stud there.  He’d be a really good player to hold down a DE spot while a rookie learns, then slide into that DE3 spot.  No shame in that.  He was just drafted too high. 

* Checked the 2018 draftees and it held true then too. 

Edited by BarleyNY

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, it really depends on your view of things... I think realistically he's an average rotational player, and a below average starter. For a 16th overall pick, you're looking for something much better than that, so "not good" actually works given the proper framing of what is and isn't good based on what he was supposed to be. 

That's a fair point.  I totally agree he is NOT worth $10 mill/yr.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Bad draft pick by Doug Whaley.  He reached for a player who was falling down the draft board due to an undisclosed injury everyone knew about.  

I was never ever sure whether Whaley got bad intel from the Bills training staff or whether he was bluffing knowing that Shaw would really need the surgery and took a chance on him.  

Either way, you can’t say the Shaq lived up to his draft status or the potential from his college career.  If I recall he was considered a Top 10 pick before the injury.   He’s average but certainly has not played like a premium player.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Coaching change, after coaching change, after coaching change. Which he was never allowed to hire.

6 DCs in 5 years, a major scheme change each time.

Plenty of those players are still in the league and contributors on Playoff teams.

And he’s in the XFL....

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Do you really think he will want to be back in Buffalo after being told “no thanks.”

Players understand the business side.  They may have offered him an extension rather than the option.  But he chose to play it out.  Even Shaq acknowledge that prior to last season he wasnt fully committed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

That's a fair point.  I totally agree he is NOT worth $10 mill/yr.

I think that it will take a really big year from Shaq to get the extension.  It’s possible that the Bills could resign him to a new deal at a lower cost than the 5th year option, like Miami did with Davonte Parker.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

Bad draft pick by Doug Whaley.  He reached for a player who was falling down the draft board due to an undisclosed injury everyone knew about.  

I was never ever sure whether Whaley got bad intel from the Bills training staff or whether he was bluffing knowing that Shaw would really need the surgery and took a chance on him.  

Either way, you can’t say the Shaq lived up to his draft status or the potential from his college career.  If I recall he was considered a Top 10 pick before the injury.   He’s average but certainly has not played like a premium player.  

How much say did Rex have over Whaley? How hard was Shaq pushed for by the coaching staff? Besides this he was drafted due to a scheme change, which is just idiocy, but par for the course in regards to where the franchise was back then. 

25 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The 5th Year Option does not extend him for another five years.

It tacks one additional year onto his deal, making him a free agent in 2021 instead of 2020.

I never said it did, I don't want this regime to get stuck with him.  I know how the option works.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Not to stick up for Whaley but the Bills and "Club Rex" were not going to get the best out of anyone who wasn't self-motivated to be the best. Rex Ryan might have been the worst hire in Bills history.

• Like (+1) 1