Lawson's 5th yr option ($9.451M) declined & Ziggy update

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Well...when you actually put it in writing and force me to think about it...yes, I get queasy.

Please don't think you've accomplished something today, Doc.  I've been queasy over this team before.  

:lol:

I mean... washington's a FA, Raglands a starting LB for a... lets say "evolving" KC defense, and Shaq's a rotational piece on our D-line.  

I think what you have to evaluate on Whaley's drafting was need vs. BPA - and his trades.  Moving up for Ragland - a need - got us Cardale instead of Dak - assuming you still wanted to go QB in the 4th.  Supposedly ragland was 1st round talent - but only fit in a certain scheme

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not to stick up for Whaley but the Bills and "Club Rex" were not going to get the best out of anyone who wasn't self-motivated to be the best. Rex Ryan might have been the worst hire in Bills history.

I liked jaylon smith or myles jack there IIRC.  Just felt like - these guys would be stud players.  Neither has turned out to be incredible or anything - smith's a nice MLB tho.

28 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Depending on Murphy's health....................

Lawson's roster spot could be in jeopardy.

Cause we know the staff likes Love and drafted Darryl Johnson in the 7th round.

I guess they will sign Ziggy and cut Lawson. ?

If the Bills sign Ziggy, I could see them trying to trade Lawson or maybe hold onto him.  He's still on a cheap rookie contract.  I think it would mean that Yarbrough would be cut.  Plus letting Lawson walk as a free agent may yield a comp pick.

Edited by DCbillsfan

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

I liked jaylon smith or myles jack there IIRC.  Just felt like - these guys would be stud players.  Neither has turned out to be incredible or anything - smith's a nice MLB tho.

They both would have gone top 10 if not for significant injury concern 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I mean... washington's a FA, Raglands a starting LB for a... lets say "evolving" KC defense, and Shaq's a rotational piece on our D-line.  

I think what you have to evaluate on Whaley's drafting was need vs. BPA - and his trades.  Moving up for Ragland - a need - got us Cardale instead of Dak - assuming you still wanted to go QB in the 4th.  Supposedly ragland was 1st round talent - but only fit in a certain scheme

Yeah, that was for joke purposes more so on my end, dneveu.  You are pretty spot on with the above.

And they are keeping Shaq around, but this is sort of "keep moving in the right direction" last year of the deal thing.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not to stick up for Whaley but the Bills and "Club Rex" were not going to get the best out of anyone who wasn't self-motivated to be the best. Rex Ryan might have been the worst hire in Bills history.

I really, really do not want to dispute that, as I am inclined to agree! However, we have many deserving candidates...Jim Ringo? Kay Stephenson? Hank Bullough? A real Rogue's Gallery of ineptness to choose from. :bag:

So glad it looks like our trajectory is miles ahead of those clowns now!!

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I really, really do not want to dispute that, as I am inclined to agree! However, we have many deserving candidates...Jim Ringo? Kay Stephenson? Hank Bullough? A real Rogue's Gallery of ineptness to choose from. :bag:

So glad it looks like our trajectory is miles ahead of those clowns now!!

Well said, NHK, one caveat, but someone I don't want to put on the list is harvey johnson.  A long time Bills employee who was interim coach twice and had a career mark of 2-23-1.  Circumstances a little beyond his control.

However, his first stint helped get us OJ.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

34 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Lawson, Ragland, Washington, C. Jones, J. Williams

Doug Whaley sure nailed that draft.

I guess since I have no idea who the last 3 names are, point taken. Has it been definitely decided it was Doug's draft and not Wrecks. 

36 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I will take that though and think Beane would too.  Might get a 4th too

You never know if they might need to move up two spots in the 2nd round next year with that 5th right?

I would rather keep him this year instead... they get another year out of him at the very least, and possibly even a comp pick if they lose him

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

I remember seeing him provide little pass rush and not much burst off the edge at Clemson, and then being the exact same thing in the NFL.

Rex Ryan.

LOL

yeah - his pursuit was the thing i noticed the most.  Seemed even slower in the NFL.  He's been fine though, just never developed into much of a pass rusher.

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Well said, NHK, one caveat, but someone I don't want to put on the list is harvey johnson.  A long time Bills employee who was interim coach twice and had a career mark of 2-23-1.

However, his first stint helped get us OJ.

Definitely right to always point out context Donuts, beyond just the stark numbers.

And FWIW, I also did not mean for my list to be exclusive, as in the modern era plenty of additional finalists may be found (Jauron, Fewell, Williams, et. al). But hey, at least we never elevated Rich Kotite to our HC!! The Jets can never live that dude down, can they?  

• Awesome! (+1) 1