RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I love the pick.  As others have noted he is great value at #9 and fits a need. 

I also think he is an example of the new type of DT that will percolate through the NFL over the next few years.  A little undersized but very explosive off the ball, great hand strength and a knack for creating havoc by deeply penetrating the O-line.  I think we're moving away from the days of the behemoth DT's that only needed to tie up space so LB's could make plays.

As an added benefit the guy looks tailor made for Buffalo.  I love the way he waded out into the Bills crowd to high five & hug folks.  Seems like the Bill's brain-trust does seriously look at personality types in making their selections. 

This is a fantastic observation. I believe the game is going through an era change. Gone are the days where you want the biggest guys on the field now its all about finesse at all levels of the field. I think Oliver is a generational talent at DT. I could not be more thrilled with this pick. Beane loves swinging for the fences, well he hit a grand slam with this one. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Figster said:

Little under sized but happy with the Oliver pick. Loved his enthusiasm.

IMO, the reaction and body language at these things can tell you a lot about a player.

Gilmore, though, I think is just a generally low key guy who keeps things internal.

Things like Geno Smith's behavior rang bells that he wasnt mentally strong.  Lamar Jackson last year, as he was slipping was making obvious attempts to look "happy" and carefree.  Haskins last night with headphones and buried in electronic devices made me think he was childish, as well as his reactions to the Giants and Redskins picks.

I feel like Oliver set out before the night began, planning on looking pumped and ready to go no matter who selected him.  It gives a great first impression to the fans and media, and I am sure the Bills' management appreciates the good PR that creates.  Starts on the right foot and it tells me, he is likely to carry a positive attitude which is great.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

IMO, the reaction and body language at these things can tell you a lot about a player.

Gilmore, though, I think is just a generally low key guy who keeps things internal.

Things like Geno Smith's behavior rang bells that he wasnt mentally strong.  Lamar Jackson last year, as he was slipping was making obvious attempts to look "happy" and carefree.  Haskins last night with headphones and buried in electronic devices made me think he was childish, as well as his reactions to the Giants and Redskins picks.

I feel like Oliver set out before the night began, planning on looking pumped and ready to go no matter who selected him.  It gives a great first impression to the fans and media, and I am sure the Bills' management appreciates the good PR that creates.  Starts on the right foot and it tells me, he is likely to carry a positive attitude which is great.

It really is great because the positive attitude, enthusiasm and excitement is contagoious and its something other players feed off of in my humble opinion.

Its the same kind of energy Allen brings...

• Like (+1) 2

Love his quickness, change of direction, and ability to stay low. He's nice and thick and has good strength. Excited to be a Bill and wants to work, what's not to like?

I'm very excited about the pick. When the Bills went on the clock, I felt pretty confident that's who they'd pick. It made perfect sense and this staff doesn't seem to try and outsmart themselves like previous regimes did. 

Not an official combine time, but holy $#!t snacks that shuttle is impressive.

Oliver_shuttle.JPG

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hey all! New to the forum. Used to be a Rams fan. I pretty much gave up on the team when Kroenke bought the LA land in Jan 2014 and especially when the Rams took Greg Robinson with the 2nd pick in 2014. I could only endure so many awful top 5 picks.

With that said, we did take Aaron Donald with the 12th pick that year and the Ed Oliver selection by Buffalo reminds me so much of that pick! Crazy productive, undersized DT from a smaller D1 program. A guy you know should have went much higher. We all loved the Donald pick in St. Louis and I'm glad to see everyone in Buffalo loves the Oliver pick. 

The Bills hit a home run with Oliver. Not only did we grab one of the top 5 players in this draft but we filled a big position of need. There's no greater draft day feeling than getting a steal and filling a need all at once.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I haven't picked up a new jersey in 10 years, but Oliver's enthusiasm has me thinking about it.  So nice to see someone that excited about coming to Buffalo.  He's a physical beast and he wants to get into that new state of the art workout facility.  #GoBills

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

From Walter Football:

Buffalo Bills: Ed Oliver, DT, Houston  A+ Grade  
It took an unreasonable agent, a reach on a quarterback and a mediocre top-eight pick used on a tight end, but the Bills won the draft. Congrats, Buffalo! Oliver could end up being the best player from this entire class. He's drawn Aaron Donald comparisons for a reason, and he'll be a great replacement for Kyle Williams. Buffalo wanted to trade up for Oliver, yet didn't have to at all. This is an easy A+ grade.

Just curious, does anyone know what he means by “it took an unreasonable agent”? 

What players agent? And what happened? 

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Just curious, does anyone know what he means by “it took an unreasonable agent”? 

What players agent? And what happened? 

They said Ed Oliver and Kentucky's Josh Allen are represented by the same agent as Khalil Mack and there might be bad blood there for the Oakland front office. So the Raiders didn't feel comfortable taking either player and had to reach for a Dlineman that should have gone much later.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, STLBills said:

They said Ed Oliver and Kentucky's Josh Allen are represented by the same agent as Khalil Mack and there might be bad blood there for the Oakland front office. So the Raiders didn't feel comfortable taking either player and had to reach for a Dlineman that should have gone much later.

This type of situation is more common than we might think. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

May be meaningless but I had Quinnen Williams just ahead of Oliver before last night. I watched them both at the draft and for some reason QW looked about 5 years younger than Ed. Like a kid vs a man. Anyone else get that impression? Again may be meaningless and QW is a great player and person, I am not knocking him. It just stood out. 

I agree - I also thought when interviewed - I had the same impression.  Williams talked and looked like a young kid, but even with the enthusiasm- I thought Ed Oliver spoke and looked like a man with experience.  

Just really impressed me with how he sounded.

41 minutes ago, STLBills said:

Hey all! New to the forum. Used to be a Rams fan. I pretty much gave up on the team when Kroenke bought the LA land in Jan 2014 and especially when the Rams took Greg Robinson with the 2nd pick in 2014. I could only endure so many awful top 5 picks.

With that said, we did take Aaron Donald with the 12th pick that year and the Ed Oliver selection by Buffalo reminds me so much of that pick! Crazy productive, undersized DT from a smaller D1 program. A guy you know should have went much higher. We all loved the Donald pick in St. Louis and I'm glad to see everyone in Buffalo loves the Oliver pick. 

The Bills hit a home run with Oliver. Not only did we grab one of the top 5 players in this draft but we filled a big position of need. There's no greater draft day feeling than getting a steal and filling a need all at once.

Welcome! 

You sure you really want to be a buffalo fan? Do you know what type of heartbreak and misery your signing up for? lol (j/k).  Can’t be worse than losing your team though, I’ll say that. 

Seriously though, Glad to have you! Welcome aboard. Most of us a very hopeful that we have some good days ahead.

11 minutes ago, STLBills said:

Thanks! 

Seems like that’s not the best reason to pass on the better player, especially when we are talking about a top 5 pick. Rookie contracts are basically set. You get a 5th year option and then the franchise tag for 2 seasons. So you’re talking about having a player for 7 years even if you can’t work out a 2nd contract. A LOT can happen in 7 years.... But hey, I’m glad they went off board! 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That would be a mistake, but not a surprise.

11 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Offense.

Like an honest attempt at some weapons for Josh. Who's our TE? would any WR on our team play elsewhere?

Beasley, Brown and Foster would easily play elsewhere.  Jones probably as well.  As for TE, we'll see what Kroft can bring but I'd like them to add a TE.  Hock went before they picked and 9 was way too high for Fant.