Whoever gets drafted will be a Buffalo Bill

Just now, Bangarang said:

So if someone doesn’t like the pick, are they still required to be excited or will that be an embarrassment to the franchise?

You could just let people react however they like and not let it bother you.

Image result for Missing the Point Meme

2 minutes ago, mead107 said:

The mead football evaluation crew is keeping quiet. 

I’ll be happy with whoever they take. 

I have no say who they pick. 

Those who think they are smarter than the experts should quit their job and join the Bills.  

?????????????????

Here's how I look at it.  The Bills get their money from ticket sales, tv contracts, and and licensed gear purchases.  In other words, we pay Beane.

I'm going to let the man do the job we pay him to do.  If at first I don't like a pick, I'll research further to find out why Beane liked the guy.  And then hope Beane is right.   We'll find out as the season progresses.  

I won't pretend to be smarter than Beane and his team of professional scouts.  

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

So you're saying I shouldn't make an ultimatum that if we draft a player with the same first name of the player I want, instead of the player that I want, that I'm done with the team and leaving the board?... damn. there goes my night. 

...simple...just get out your "Whaley Darts"....the ghost lives on here.................

4 minutes ago, billspro said:

I agree we don’t need a repeat of last years Josh Allen bashing thread. 

I know a lot of these responses are ‘tongue-in-cheek, but you’re absolutely right about that.

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 2

So if the Bills draft a guy like Simmons of Mississippi STate, who is on tape beating a woman, I should just cheer for him because he’s a Bill?  

I get your point point and I used to have the same mindset.  I hated Allen before the draft as a qb prospect.  So it’s hard to just completely ignore my worries just because he’s a Bill.  But I will root for him to succeed because he’s a Bill but it’s hard to just completely forget the doubts.  Same with a guy they pick this year (though I think QB is the main player that scrutinized). 

8 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I don’t get your point.  Is Stew Barber still in charge?

Not completely clear on your point either. Since Bean is in charge it is an absolute certainty whomever we draft will be on the team next season? I will conceade however the Cousineau pick did eventually get us a trade which I believe we used to get Kelly so all is well that ends well.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Its literally what he said 

Care to explain?

From the post you quoted lol

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You don't have to like the pick.  Just have actual reasons not to like the pick.  Also understand that you could be wrong

Those are my words but the quote section attributed it to you for some reason

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Here's how I look at it.  The Bills get their money from ticket sales, tv contracts, and and licensed gear purchases.  In other words, we pay Beane.

I'm going to let the man do the job we pay him to do.  If at first I don't like a pick, I'll research further to find out why Beane liked the guy.  And then hope Beane is right.   We'll find out as the season progresses.  

I won't pretend to be smarter than Beane and his team of professional scouts.  

I get this but why can’t an average fan not make a better choice than Beane or any GM?  Just because you have a job doesn’t make you an expert.  I loved JuJu and would have taken him in 2017. We traded up for Zay.  That looks wrong. Plenty of people wanted Ngata instead of Whitner. People wanted Russell Wilson.  

Just because you have a job title doesn’t make you infallible.  Beane was an intern who worked his way up. Props to him but it’s not like he’s Bill Gates. 

12 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I might not be a fan of every one of Beane's picks.  

But I am a fan of every player we draft.  

Sure.  I’ll root for the players taken even if I don’t think they have a high probability of success.  But I can still discuss my expectations and their progress (or lack thereof).  I can stay objective.  

42 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Beane might not pick your guy, but he's very unlikely to make any four base errors, either.  No Aaron Maybins or Walt Patulskis on his board. 

Erik Flowers (shudder)

1 minute ago, section122 said:

From the post you quoted lol

Those are my words but the quote section attributed it to you for some reason

So are people allowed to express their dislike the pick or not? In your OP you advised against mocking or bashing the pick. Now it’s okay as long as you have reasons? What if those reasons are based on an article or YouTube highlights? How much scouting needs to be done in order to have a valid opinion one way or the other? This has left me with more questions than answers. 

1 minute ago, Leonhart2017 said:

Not completely clear on your point either. Since Bean is in charge it is an absolute certainty whomever we draft will be on the team next season? I will conceade however the Cousineau pick did eventually get us a trade which I believe we used to get Kelly so all is well that ends well.

Well, Stew Barber picked Cousineau #1 overall, then didn’t even bother to meet him at the airport or take him to dinner.

Cousineau’s agent was so pissed at the snub that he opened talks with the Allouettes.

He would have worn a Bills uniform, had Barber not f’d things up so badly.

My point was that this front office doesn’t screw up like that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I get this but why can’t an average fan not make a better choice than Beane or any GM?  Just because you have a job doesn’t make you an expert.  I loved JuJu and would have taken him in 2017. We traded up for Zay.  That looks wrong. Plenty of people wanted Ngata instead of Whitner. People wanted Russell Wilson.  

Just because you have a job title doesn’t make you infallible.  Beane was an intern who worked his way up. Props to him but it’s not like he’s Bill Gates. 

Right and technically some random dude could also perform open heart surgery. I mean it's unlikely but if you repeat it enough times eventually someone will pull it off.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So if the Bills draft a guy like Simmons of Mississippi STate, who is on tape beating a woman, I should just cheer for him because he’s a Bill?  

I get your point point and I used to have the same mindset.  I hated Allen before the draft as a qb prospect.  So it’s hard to just completely ignore my worries just because he’s a Bill.  But I will root for him to succeed because he’s a Bill but it’s hard to just completely forget the doubts.  Same with a guy they pick this year (though I think QB is the main player that scrutinized). 

You never hid your feelings regarding Allen. However, you always articulated your reasons for your opinions and, while passionate in your debates (a few with me) - you weren’t a d*#khead, or, as the OP put it, “that guy.”

I believe that is all the OP was saying.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

So are people allowed to express their dislike the pick or not? In your OP you advised against mocking or bashing the pick. Now it’s okay as long as you have reasons? What if those reasons are based on an article or YouTube highlights? How much scouting needs to be done in order to have a valid opinion one way or the other? This has left me with more questions than answers. 

Now you are just being that guy...

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Point taken.  Many of us were SCREAMING for Gronkowski.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Right and technically some random dude could also perform open heart surgery. I mean it's unlikely but if you repeat it enough times eventually someone will pull it off.

Yeah, nfl GM and heart surgeon aren’t close to the same.  Most of these guys get their jobs because they are friends with the right people (Bill Polian hooked up his som’s high school friends with NFL jobs; Todd Haley went to 3 colleges as a golfer but his dad worked with the Steelers).

i think there are plenty of regular fans who could do well if given the opportunity to work in a nfl front office.  Heart surgeon, not so much. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You never hid your feelings regarding Allen. However, you always articulated your reasons for your opinions and, while passionate in your debates (a few with me) - you weren’t a d*#khead, or, as the OP put it, “that guy.”

Thanks. I appreciate it.  And I hate the feeling.  It sucks.  But I like the person he is and he certainly is exciting.  Trust me, I would love to be wrong because it means we finally have a legit franchise guy.

I advised against the bolded...

"Except I can guarantee tonight there will be many people that mock the pick, explode because they don't like the pick, etc.  Don't be that guy.  Don't be an embarrassment to our fan base.  Welcome the player as he achieves his life long dream.  Don't be Eagles fans booing McNabb and don't be a wrongjosh poster.  Be excited.  Today is Christmas morning and the Bills get to add young talent to an already exciting young core."

The rest is my opinion on the matter and what I will be doing.  You do you.  I apologize that this thread upsets you so much.0:)

Thanks. I appreciate it.  And I hate the feeling.  It sucks.  But I like the person he is and he certainly is exciting.  Trust me, I would love to be wrong because it means we finally have a legit franchise guy.

Trust me, I get it. I guess we’ll have a good idea this year if he has what it takes. I think the Bills are doing everything they can to give him a legitimate opportunity to prove he can be a franchise QB. He has to take a big step forward. Here’s hoping!

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I banged the table hard for AJ Green in 2011, I just saw more in him than Dareus and thought he'd be the better player.

I think it's fine for fans to express opinion on players and not be ok with the pick. These guys aren't perfect and they do get it wrong and it's ok to criticize it. Will I give the pick time? Sure, of course but I'm still within my right as a fan and a consumer of the Bills "product" to question.

2 minutes ago, section122 said:

I advised against the bolded...

"Except I can guarantee tonight there will be many people that mock the pick, explode because they don't like the pick, etc.  Don't be that guy.  Don't be an embarrassment to our fan base.  Welcome the player as he achieves his life long dream.  Don't be Eagles fans booing McNabb and don't be a wrongjosh poster.  Be excited.  Today is Christmas morning and the Bills get to add young talent to an already exciting young core."

The rest is my opinion on the matter and what I will be doing.  You do you.  I apologize that this thread upsets you so much.0:)

It doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I just like to be difficult when people try telling strangers how to act.

Edited by Bangarang

Yeah, nfl GM and heart surgeon aren’t close to the same.  Most of these guys get their jobs because they are friends with the right people (Bill Polian hooked up his som’s high school friends with NFL jobs; Todd Haley went to 3 colleges as a golfer but his dad worked with the Steelers).

i think there are plenty of regular fans who could do well if given the opportunity to work in a nfl front office.  Heart surgeon, not so much. 

One is an exact science , and one is not. Many in high places get their jobs partly through connections; it’s how the world works. While some regular fans could certainly do well as a GM ( and some regular fans might be heart surgeons) no GM will ever be perfect. Even if you yourself were making the picks- you’d have your hits and your misses. While I often disagree with the picks my teams GM makes , and often have my doubts, my enjoyment isn’t decreased if the players eventually succeed. Nor does it make me glad to be able to say “ I told you so “ if they fail.  In the end, I don’t care if I’m right. I only care if the Bills FO ends up being right. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

@Bangarang here you go.  Maybe someone else's words will help you understand.

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So you're saying there are a lot of people that aren't qualified in the position, okay that's fine don't think Beane is in that group though. My point is that in general people that do this for a living study the prospects have experience in the field are more likely to get this right than some random fan.

While the heart surgery things is basically just a dumb comparison the point is that if enough people attempt something(that's possible) eventually some of them are going to succeed. Millions of fans make predictions on who will be a successful NFL player each year. Some of them are going to be right but that in no way means they were more qualified to be choosing.

Edited by Warcodered

1 minute ago, section122 said:

@Bangarang here you go.  Maybe someone else's words will help you understand.

Hes saying it’s okay to not like the pick and it’s okay to voice that displeasure. 

You're saying, don’t mock the pick, you don’t know jack ***** and instead just be excited.

Hes saying it’s okay to not like the pick and it’s okay to voice that displeasure. 

You're saying, don’t mock the pick, you don’t know jack ***** and instead just be excited.

Somehow many people have understood the point of this thread but not you.  I'm out buddy.  Enjoy the draft.  Go Bills!  

2 minutes ago, section122 said:

Somehow many people have understood the point of this thread but not you.  I'm out buddy.  Enjoy the draft.  Go Bills!  

I get the point. I think it’s silly so I’m busting your chops about it.

Edited by Bangarang

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So you're saying there are a lot of people that aren't qualified in the position, okay that's fine don't think Beane is in that group though. My point is that in general people that do this for a living study the prospects have experience in the field are more likely to get this right than some random fan.

While the heart surgery things is basically just a dumb comparison the point is that if enough people attempt something(that's possible) eventually some of them are going to succeed. Millions of fans make predictions on who will be a successful NFL player each year. Some of them are going to be right but that in no way means they were more qualified to be choosing.

I’m not even trying to knock Beane but I think it is easier than ever to be a scout or GM.  A lot of fans watch a ton of football and there is so much information out there.  I think for most of us it’s a dream job but it’s not rocket science or surgery.  Some of the football coaches I had were complete morons (with due respect). 

1 hour ago, section122 said:

Annual reminder to not forget that whomever is selected will represent the city of Buffalo and the Bills.  Sounds simple right?

Except I can guarantee tonight there will be many people that mock the pick, explode because they don't like the pick, etc.  Don't be that guy.  Don't be an embarrassment to our fan base.  Welcome the player as he achieves his life long dream.  Don't be Eagles fans booing McNabb and don't be a wrongjosh poster.  Be excited.  Today is Christmas morning and the Bills get to add young talent to an already exciting young core.

No you're not a realist.  You don't know jack *****.  The player could be good, could be terrible, but he is a Buffalo Bill.  Don't chase him away before he even signs the contract.  I get that you had a favorite and the Bills didn't pick them.  For every JJ Watt I loved pre-draft there is also a Matt Barkley that I loved.  For every CJ Spiller I hated there is also a Marshawn Lynch I hated.

Enjoy the draft.  Enjoy the Bills adding cheap young talent.

Go Bills!

This happened in the Giants thread.  Why are you trying to silence people and tell them not to comment if they don't like the pick?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I banged the table hard for AJ Green in 2011, I just saw more in him than Dareus and thought he'd be the better player.

I think it's fine for fans to express opinion on players and not be ok with the pick. These guys aren't perfect and they do get it wrong and it's ok to criticize it. Will I give the pick time? Sure, of course but I'm still within my right as a fan and a consumer of the Bills "product" to question.

Darned right it is. We as fans have our convictions on players too. The board would be a very dull place if all we did is agree and applaud the picks as they came in. Why bother ! 

6 minutes ago, White Linen said:

This happened in the Giants thread.  Why are you trying to silence people and tell them not to comment if they don't like the pick?

I didn't post in the giants thread...