What if NE Doesn't submit it's pick Thursday night?

DasNootz

What would happen if NE didn't submit it's pick on Thursday night for the 32nd pick at the end of it's allotted time?  Could Cleveland submit it's pick even though it's not technically on the clock until Friday?  It just seems like a NE-esque move to give themselves and extra day to work out a trade back.  

We've seen it happen mid round in the past, and you simply lose your spot in line while other teams rush up to make their pick...but between rounds, I'm not sure.

• Like (+1) 1

They’d get skipped for a pick so I think they’d lose the benefits of a first round pick, so the 5th year option and the like. 

Interesting thought though, seriously. Maybe there is a benefit that could be exploited. 

10 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

What would happen if NE didn't submit it's pick on Thursday night for the 32nd pick at the end of it's allotted time?  Could Cleveland submit it's pick even though it's not technically on the clock until Friday?  It just seems like a NE-esque move to give themselves and extra day to work out a trade back.  

We've seen it happen mid round in the past, and you simply lose your spot in line while other teams rush up to make their pick...but between rounds, I'm not sure.

And would it count as a 1st round pick for the Browns, allowing for a 5-year deal?

21 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Arizona has pick #33...they would be next on the clock.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, whatdrought said:

Not sure how the patriots skipping a pick would automatically give the browns pick 33... Crazy world. 

If you dont get your pick turned in in time the team that picks next is allowed to go ahead. So in this case the Browns would select the 32nd player. That would be a first round pick. 

The draft has always been over more than one day. So my guess is they have rules for the last pick of the day or this scenario would have occurred before. 

My guess is that by rule time just freezes 10 minutes after NE* goes on the clock, so no one can submit a pick once that time expires.  At 8:00 on Friday the draft resumes and then either of them could submit.

Of course it's NE so they'd make an exception and let BB submit his pick at 4am if he wanted.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

If you dont get your pick turned in in time the team that picks next is allowed to go ahead. So in this case the Browns would select the 32nd player. That would be a first round pick. 

The draft has always been over more than one day. So my guess is they have rules for the last pick of the day or this scenario would have occurred before. 

The browns aren't the team after the 32nd pick.... .... .... .... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I do recall a similar thing happening one year, seem to recall it involving the Vikings, can't recall if they were the team late with the pick or they jumped ahead of the team that was late.  It was in the middle of some round, not the last pick of a round. But can remember the clock expiring and the next team got right up to the table and submitted their pick.  The team that was late, then picked right afterward, so basically were one pick late. 

Happening at the end of round would be different.  May mean on Friday a race to the table, both teams bring in sprinters to deliver the pick.  Which team is seated closer to the front of the room??

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The browns aren't the team after the 32nd pick.... .... .... .... 

Give the guy a break!! Can understand the error, Cleveland picking first in every round seemed to have become a given!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

team with next pick can then submit and would jump ahead of NE. Then NE is back on the clock and next team could jump ahead if NE waits to clock expiration and this continues on and on. So NE would be on clock for 1st pick in 2nd round when day 2 starts on day 2.

No team would be this stupid as 1st rounders come with 5th year option.

25 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

My guess is that by rule time just freezes 10 minutes after NE* goes on the clock, so no one can submit a pick once that time expires.  At 8:00 on Friday the draft resumes and then either of them could submit.

Of course it's NE so they'd make an exception and let BB submit his pick at 4am if he wanted.

Its an interesting question.  I think this is the correct answer.  

1 hour ago, DasNootz said:

Wonderful question. Never thought of that possibility.