Seattle trades Frank Clark to Chiefs for 2019 1st and 2020 2nd

17 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I don't think it makes much sense for KC because of Dee Ford. I just don't understand why u get rid of a 34 edge rusher for a DE that never played in that scheme professionally. 

Because the Chiefs are switching to a 4-3 this offseason.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Clark is a lot better than Ford. 

"A lot?"

Ford career stats:

67 games, 30.5 sacks, 102 solo tackles, 9 forced fumbles (13/42/7 last year)

Clark career stats:

62 games, 35 sacks, 92 solo tackles, 8 forced fumbles (13/33/3 last year)

Look, I get it, perhaps it's a better scheme fit with the new DC.  But it's still kinda strange.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm on the fence. 

Bills would be much better served at this point in their rebuild with an instant impact veteran pass rusher on the defensive line rather than a rookie whom in all likelihood is going to struggle and take some time to develop. 

The 9th overall pick is hard to give up I get it. 

I don't entirely disagree, I just don't feel like we are quite at that point and I am hoping we are next year (at least picking in the 20s). 

The 9th is very hard to give up, but I want to go a little higher if we can and preserve our 2nd this year. 

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm on the fence. 

Bills would be much better served at this point in their rebuild with an instant impact veteran pass rusher on the defensive line rather than a rookie whom in all likelihood is going to struggle and take some time to develop. 

The 9th overall pick is hard to give up I get it. 

I think you meant to say that no matter how you slice it, the Chiefs getting Frank Clark instead of the Bills is a BAD look for Beane and the Bills organization.

• Haha (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't entirely disagree, I just don't feel like we are quite at that point and I am hoping we are next year (at least picking in the 20s). 

The 9th is very hard to give up, but I want to go a little higher if we can and preserve our 2nd this year. 

Maybe this shakes Clowney loose?

9 for 23?   I think that's better value than what the Seahawks got for Clark.

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Seems like it needs to happen. I liked him as a prospect, but

giphy.gif

I'd still rather move next years #1 to move up and get Oliver. He is a great interior line pass rusher (a little light, but still he is explosive) and 5 years on a rookie contract will help us in some other areas in the short term. If you can keep this draft in place and somehow maneuver enough to grab him, N'Keal and Sternberger I would be happy. I know this will never happen, but still. 

Edited by Reed83HOF

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't get this move for the Chiefs at all. They badly need secondary help. Their 1st would have been a prime spot to take someone like Greedy Williams or Byron Murphy. I get that Clark is a better player than Ford, but I don't see how he moves the needle enough to make the trade worth it.

A great pass rush solves a lot of secondary problems...

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think the chiefs look sorta silly here..... why not pay ford, the slightly lessor but almost as productive talent, and hold onto your 1st this year and 2nd next year?

They got a second next year for Ford so it's basically like giving them a one this year and swapping thirds. Also, Clark has a much better NFLhistory and Ford is kind of a one-year Wonder.

27 minutes ago, eball said:

"A lot?"

Ford career stats:

Clark career stats:

Look, I get it, perhaps it's a better scheme fit with the new DC.  But it's still kinda strange.

I guess my rejoinder is the ol' "watch 'em play" one. First off, Ford is a terrible run defender. And while he can certainly get around the edge pretty well, his inside game is lacking. Clark, in contrast, consistently creates chaos out there given his fantastic inside/outside game combo and his combination of agility and strength. He's just a better player. Seattle's defense was good last season, and he was a big reason for it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

.....now with another example of the $$$ market lines being drawn with the Clark signing, it seems to be clear what the Texans would have to come up with and it looks like their cap space is :2019-$40+ mil; 2020-$103+ mil....why would they be inclined to dump Clowney?........

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I guess my rejoinder is the ol' "watch 'em play" one. First off, Ford is a terrible run defender. And while he can certainly get around the edge pretty well, his inside game is lacking. Clark, in contrast, consistently creates chaos out there given his fantastic inside/outside game combo and his combination of agility and strength. He's just a better player. Seattle's defense was good last season, and he was a big reason for it.

I'll take your word for it, I didn't study their play.

35 minutes ago, eball said:

"A lot?"

Ford career stats:

Clark career stats:

Isn't Clark almost 3 years younger?    To have equivalent stats means he's been a lot more available than Ford over his career:

Clark:   June 14, 1993 (age 25 years)

Ford:    March 19, 1991 (age 28 years)

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....now with another example of the $$$ market lines being drawn with the Clark signing, it seems to be clear what the Texans would have to come up with and it looks like their cap space is :2019-$40+ mil; 2020-$103+ mil....why would they be inclined to dump Clowney?........

They don't have to by any means.    Neither did Seattle have to part with Clark really.   

But maybe they want to try to extend DeShaun Watson long term after next season.........and in the process maybe save some significant money and distribute that cost as opposed to waiting.  

Let's face it............offense is the long term play in the NFL.......that's what you can keep together and build on......a top defense is hard to keep intact and consistent.

Getting a stud LT for a QB with a reconstructed knee sounds good..........and the report is that they think one is there at #9.

I'm not convinced there is a great LT at #9 but if they do then that's an important get for them.  

• Like (+1) 1

People way overvalue draft picks when it comes to trading a first rounder for a truly game changing elite talent.  After all that’s what you are hoping for w your first round draft pick.  How many first round picks become elite?  It’s a good trade. 

Houston and Ford combined signed for about the same amount as Clark with less guaranteed money. Not everyone thinks Clark is a better player than Ford. One GM said that comparing Clark to Ford was like comparing Flacco to Mahomes. Here's another take:

Now, there are worse ways to spend cap space, but this deal didn’t happen in a vacuum. The reason Kansas City was in need of a pass rusher in the first place was its decisions to trade pending free agent Dee Ford to San Francisco for a second-round pick and let the aging-but-still-productive Justin Houston go to Indianapolis for a modest deal. In all, Ford and Houston signed for seven years, $110 million, including $51.8 million in guaranteed money, with their new teams. That’s two ultra-productive players for, essentially, the price of Clark.

Now, you might be thinking that the Chiefs defense was awful last year and the biggest culprit in all of their losses, and you’d be correct. But that had little to do with Houston and Ford, who combined for 125 QB pressures. No other teammates combined for more. Clark managed an impressive 64 on his own, which is 16 more than Houston tallied but 13 fewer than Ford’s total. Pro Football Focus graded Ford as the best pass rusher in 2018. Houston ranked fifth. Clark ranked outside the top-20.